What would you do?

Help Support Steer Planet:

showgirl15

My steer is proably 1050 now and my county fair is the first part of April. Tuesday when I was washing him I felt a fluid pocket on the back left leg and it was not on the hock but on the side of it. So I put some Icy Hot on it and wrapped it to see if it will go down and it hasnt. i realize if it was a fluid pocket it is there but it is weird how it is only on one leg and not on both. I bumped up on his joint supplement and am trying to not make him stand on hard ground. Any recommendations he has quite a bit of hair so that when I blow him then you cant even see it. What would you guys do to make sure it doent get bigger? I have him out on pasture at nights to make sure he gets adaquate amount of exercise, and he is not favoring his leg at all he is still striding out.

Thanks!

Diamond

I hope you make out better then mine did, I had the same thing happen to a steer this past year and it only got worse. when he hit 1150 the fluid pocket leg litterally blew out sideways, I brought him to the slaughter house the next day. I tried everything with him, had the vet out several times, joint supplements, wraps, everything...

showgirl15

Hes a monopolyX Irish Whiskey cow. He is super dooper sound he just has that fluid pocket.

Nasc

Can you  post a photo of the leg?

My first and strongest suggestion is DO NOT DRAIN IT,

Have only heard of negative results from having joints drained.

We had a steer a few years
<-----------------(Red Steer in my photo)
ago developed some fluid in his rear hocks at about the same weight. It never got any worse. He topped out at 1345 and walked just fine.
When we pulled up the leg hair we clipped that area a little closer and you couldn't see it at all.

showgirl15

I definately will take a picture tomorrow when I am washing him. Like I said you can not see it if I blow him so i will take it when hes wet. Im just glad its not bothering him at all right now. Im just praying he stays like that!

Thanks for your help!!!