What you think of the Bull Sooner

Help Support Steer Planet:

RCF Farms

I bought some Sooner embryo's and just wanting to know what you think about this bull. I have never seen a picture of him, I have seen a pic of Boomer(Sooners Full Sib). What does Sooner bring to the table, the Cow is Superwoman a Fear This/Meyer from Bushy Park. If I would get a heifer out of one of these embryo's would it be worth keeping as a breeding piece.

knabe

this is a joke.

some people used to chew tums right before a wild cow milking contest.

for reals, interesting stacking of milking ability and lack of it on the top and bottom.

perhaps this is a good way to fix maine udders by incrementally breeding light milking lines to heavier milking ones and also try and get around the antagonism between milk and muscle.

RCF Farms

O.k. You must not like maines, but how about the bull. Why is his semen $500 bucks a straw? I was going to save this post for later, but I see alot of people like the Meyer simmy genetics or Angus as I do too. I also see a lot of Maine Breeders also which I kinda like too.

knabe

RCF Farms said:
O.k. You must not like maines, yes i do, it's all i have. i have a couple of theories which you are not taking into consideration of why that line, not sooner, was developed and why they are doing what they are doing and why they are doing it from the perspective they are doing it.  they have been pretty exhaustive and it's not a knock on them.  they have exhausted the gene pool, literally, in their search.  all i can say is they will probably win, but it's still a race and not over by a long shot, especially since that road has to use recognizable bloodlines thereby artificially restricting input.  and just for clarification, antagonism is the question.

but how about the bull. Why is his semen $500 bucks a straw? marketing, artificial supply limitation

Jill

Personal opinion, I've not been impressed with most of the calves I've seen out of Sooner, he has been bred to only the top of the line type of cows so your cow is probably very good genetics.  Agree with Knabe, the 500 semen is in no way an indication of a good bull, it is purely marketing, welcome to the politics of the Maine breed!

olsun

Amen to the above posts. Sooner is very highly over rated. I have seen a few suitable ones out of very good cows, and a lot of very plain ones out of very good cows. He is mostly hype and well promoted.

DL

RCF Farms said:
I bought some Sooner embryo's and just wanting to know what you think about this bull. I have never seen a picture of him, I have seen a pic of Boomer(Sooners Full Sib). What does Sooner bring to the table, the Cow is Superwoman a Fear This/Meyer from Bushy Park. If I would get a heifer out of one of these embryo's would it be worth keeping as a breeding piece.

Just curious why anyone would spend good money on embryos when they haven't even seen a picture of the bull and don't know what he brings to the table?
With enough $ and hype you too can get $500 a straw pr bunch of bucks for embryos - guess the hype works - agree with knabe - if you breed almost any bull to great cows, hand select the heifers, almost any bull can appear great

PRO

I have been pretty sceptical of the sooner genetics, but Green Valley has also used Sooner and produced some excellent looking cattle(in pictures anyway).  I certainly agree that the price of the genetics has been inflated due to the lack of availability.  I considered using Boomer, but I would never spend that kind of money on a completely unproven bull.

the angus111

as i recall,doent Buck use a ton of sooner or i think he sold some heifers out of him.IMO they were pretty nice heifers,dont know how functional they are.i would consider embryos from a sooner mating.rusty

colosteers

Have no idea if Sooner will stand the test of time-   but Green Valley did have impressive bulls from Sooner, and they sold very well.    Top bull was $32,000 and went to Lautner and he is selling semen on him as Maverick.

Does anybody know which stud is collecting Maverick?

About the only Sooners I have seen were Green Valleys, they had heifers to, but the sale was during a blizzard and I studied bulls,  got one bought ( I couldn't afford a Sooner) and hit the road.  

Was interesting that green Valley had a catalog full of Sooner calves and they didn't have a picture of Sooner either.   Where can I find a picture of this Boomer?

Have a good one

olsun

I have seen Maverick at Hawkeye, and he could be best described as plain or average. I really think that hype on Sooner sold that bull. Maverick is one of several that helped me form my opinion of Sooner.JMO Earl

CUTK

colosteers said:
Have no idea if Sooner will stand the test of time-   but Green Valley did have impressive bulls from Sooner, and they sold very well.    Top bull was $32,000 and went to Lautner and he is selling semen on him as Maverick.

Does anybody know which stud is collecting Maverick?

About the only Sooners I have seen were Green Valleys, they had heifers to, but the sale was during a blizzard and I studied bulls,  got one bought ( I couldn't afford a Sooner) and hit the road.  

Was interesting that green Valley had a catalog full of Sooner calves and they didn't have a picture of Sooner either.   Where can I find a picture of this Boomer?

Have a good one

You can go to Bushy Park's website to find a picture of Boomer, but as far as Sooner goes there isn't any pictures of him that I know of him and now that he is dead it's gonna be pretty tough getting any.

knabe

in my opinion, sooner is an attempt to put a little more maternal into limited edition without taking away too much thickness.  legacy plus is in there for homo black, homo polled, homo pattern, draft pick for maternal, limited edition for red alert thickness and all of the above for name recoginition, in addition to the cow that LE is out of, which is probably the most important animal in there.  wish i had her.  i wouldn't have put red alert or black gold in there on the top.  but, that's what was popular, and one is always intrigued trying to untangle a web.

if you really study sooner's pedigree, you can really see what people are trying to do, but you have to go a ways back.

CAB

RCF Farms said:
O.k. You must not like maines, but how about the bull. Why is his semen $500 bucks a straw? I was going to save this post for later, but I see alot of people like the Meyer simmy genetics or Angus as I do too. I also see a lot of Maine Breeders also which I kinda like too.

Knabe, here all this time, I thought that you liked Maines. Have you had most of fooled all this time?
  I am trying to refrain from commenting on the Sooner bull & HAA cattle in general. Opps.

knabe

CAB said:
RCF Farms said:

Knabe, here all this time, I thought that you liked Maines. Have you had most of fooled all this time?
  I am trying to refrain from commenting on the Sooner bull & HAA cattle in general. Opps.

read a post a little bit further down.  if you read closely, i am not knocking sooner or HAA cattle, or anyone for that matter.  and all i have is high percentage maine's.

everyone who breeds this line, or did and don't anymore, know exactly what is going on. there really isn't anything mysterious going on other than no one yet has figured out how to put breasts on east german swimmers.

CAB

Hey, I'm saying if HAA/GCC, or who ever can get the hype needed from advertising to get PPL to buy as hard as they do, more power to them. Steal Force has so much hype that it is flowing down hill hard enough to get Star Power in the most influential Sm bracket, but @ least Star Power has calves on the ground.

knabe

CAB said:
 Hey, I'm saying if HAA/GCC, or who ever can get the hype needed from advertising to get PPL to buy as hard as they do, more power to them.

i agree.  that's what risk/reward is all about.

i would also like to add that the people involved with the bull help out the junior program and kids probably as much or more than anyone.  they also help out with newer breeders.

afhm

CAB said:
  Hey, I'm saying if HAA/GCC, or who ever can get the hype needed from advertising to get PPL to buy as hard as they do, more power to them. Steal Force has so much hype that it is flowing down hill hard enough to get Star Power in the most influential Sm bracket, but @ least Star Power has calves on the ground.
There are Steel Force calvse on the ground as well.

the angus111

There alot of steel force calves out there.and they look pretty good.Ratcliff Ranch is selling about 20 the 19th.rusty