Whats she worth

Help Support Steer Planet:

maineanjou87

Ive just started getting into registered herefords and just wondering peoples thoughts on what shes worth and see how close i am on my price.

Attachments

• cow 6.jpg
    cow 6.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 196
  • cow 3.jpg
    cow 3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 178
  • aug2012 037.JPG
    aug2012 037.JPG
    715.2 KB · Views: 209
  • aug2012 024.JPG
    aug2012 024.JPG
    711.4 KB · Views: 172
  • aug2012 033.JPG
    aug2012 033.JPG
    706 KB · Views: 194

wyatt

Overall a very nice complete heifer might need to be a little cleaner fronted tho

OH Breeder

here's a few thoughts for what they are worth....

when you post a picture and are asking for opinions,....I think  you should put the animal in the best light and get some good pictures. They don't have to be professional but it is more difficult to get the right ones and you may take lots trying to get the right look. The pictures you have posted (I feel) do not reflect the quality that may be there. The first pose is some what un-natural and does not give you maybe the best "look". Get a 5 gallon buck and sit with your camera and turn her loose in a nice pen, pasture etc and just take pictures.

Worth has lots of variables. What's the age, breeding on your female etc....for me I like to know the breeding behind all my females. Give us a tick more information on the female. And value is only what people are willing to pay for her. Do you have a market in your area for Herefords? If so is her breeding something that may make her more less appealing to Hereford breeders? What are your plans for marketing her?

Just trying to help no offense meant. Like to see some better pics.

leanbeef

I read this yesterday and I was thinking this is kind of a trick question... I think OH Breeder summed it up pretty well. There are a lot more factors that go in to what one is worth than what she looks like in a couple of photos, especially if the photos don't exactly represent her. I too am wondering if the heifer might not be better than she looks in that particular profile shot. You can give somebody an idea of what she kind of looks like, but using a picture that doesn't flatter a pretty good heifer doesn't do you any favors. When I'm trying sell sight unseen cattle, I would much rather tell somebody, "That's a flattering picture of her" and then explain why I think so than "That picture doesn't do her justice" and try to convince them she's much better than what they're seeing.

This picture of your heifer makes her look like she has some good parts. Get a better picture and I think she'll look like she puts those parts together a little nicer. The easy answer to your question is they're worth whatever you can get for em! If they're worth more than that to you, then either you have to figure out how to convey something to your prospective buyers they aren't considering as value or worth, or your not being completely objective in assigning value. I think there are more people who think they're cattle are worth more than they get than people who get more than they think they're worth!

GoWyo

They are worth more if you don't have to wear gloves to handle them.  :)

maineanjou87

I had a huge cut on my hand and had to keep it covered but i will put new pics up later today along with the bloodline and i know it all depends on that other stuff its not my first time selling show cattle ive been doing it about ten years i know the pics not great i just wanted to see if what i thought she was worth was reasonable im asking 1300 for her and ive been stuck in the house cause of surgery and was bored its the only pics i had and just wanted some opinions but thanks for the responses hope to hear more after i get my pics up later

afhm

Looks to me like you are pretty accurate on the price maybe 1500 if the pedigree is sought after and she sells with papers.

leanbeef

Yeah...I think that $12-1500 range is sure reasonable for a decent heifer calf that has a contribution to make to some registered herd. Heifer calves that can't quite make that might be more marketable as breds the next year. It seems like we can grow & develop one & get her bred for a lot less than people are willing to pay for that sometimes. Plus some of those kinda heifers just need some time & seem more palatable when they're closer to making some $

The reason I said it was a trick question was because you never know when somebody thinks a lot more of their own cattle than anybody else seems to lol.

maineanjou87

For those of you who said i needed better pics i took some out in our pasture today hope they give you a little better idea how she looks