What's the deal with clones?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kiblercattle

I don't know anything about cloning so I hope my questions don't sound stupid. Does a clone bred exactly the same as his counterpart? If he does not what is the difference between a clone and a full brother?

Still Tryin

A clone is a copy of a bull or whatever. A full brother is a brother. Think of it in human terms, it's easier. A clone of yourself is not the same thing as your brother.

kiblercattle

I understand that but will the a clone sire exactly the same preformance and phenotype as the bull he was cloned from

Tallcool1

kiblercattle said:
I understand that but will the a clone sire exactly the same preformance and phenotype as the bull he was cloned from

That seems to be the million dollar question.

In theory, they should......but they don't.

It has something to do with the recip cow???...I believe, but I quite honestly just don't understand it.

There are people on this site that can explain it.  I hope one of them will come forward because I think this is interesting stuff.

BroncoFan

I would be nervous about using a clone because scientist (for the lack of a better word) start turning genes on and off when they go to clone an animal.  Now if they are doing that, would a mutation occur and would it show up in their offspring?

knabe

the mutation rate of chromosomal DNA is going to be low, and from that perspective, the clone/s and the original will be "the same".

where differences can arise form is the regulatory infrastructure of gene expression inheritance is modified through other mechanisms that control expression from the donor egg, womb, sire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piwi-interacting_RNA
http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Epigenetics-Part-2.pdf
http://www.clinchem.org/content/48/1/35.abstract

references are endless.

Barry Farms

The clones breed about 95% or more the same. Full brothers breed similarly, much more so in purebred cattle than in club calf cattle, more consistent genetics.

ai er

Well it's the clone of a crossbred animal, usually bred to a crossbred animal. Can't get a whole lot of consistency there. So I'd say yes, clones breed very similar to the original.

BTDT

BroncoFan said:
I would be nervous about using a clone because scientist (for the lack of a better word) start turning genes on and off when they go to clone an animal.  Now if they are doing that, would a mutation occur and would it show up in their offspring?

When cloning, no genes are "turned on and off".  The DNA is simply (ok, probably not simply) transferred from one embryo into another.  There is a bit of chromosomal material left in the "recep egg"

If you know of any identical twins (where the egg split inside the uterus) they are clones of each other, only nature did it instead of man.

Tallcool1

aj said:
Is it legal to eat clones? One that wins a steer show?

Actually...good question.

I don't believe the USDA has actually authorized the release of a clone into the food chain.

But I have a feeling you already knew that.

knabe

Any organism that gives birth to twins from one cell should be destroyed.

Who knows what the long term effects are.

shortii

knabe said:
Any organism that gives birth to twins from one cell should be destroyed.

Who knows what the long term effects are.
What makes you feel that they need to be destroyed? Has there been problems with twins being born that way before? I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just curious.

knabe

just a joke based on how hard it is to have consistency of logic and how some things can become a slippery slope based on emotion rather than facts.  unintended consequences are rarely pursued when imposing restrictions on freedom.

knabe

trevorgreycattleco said:
So If some DNA from the receipt gets into the clone why not use the best daughter of the bull you are cloning as the receipt?

the best recip candidate in my opinion is one that is raised in the environment one wants to sell cattle too and has had decent calves herself.

trevorgreycattleco

That makes good sense. I was just saying if one of the problems with clones breeding like their original copy is from the receipt DNA then use something as closely related to the bull as possible eliminating any outside DNA.

Just a thought

Tallcool1

trevorgreycattleco said:
That makes good sense. I was just saying if one of the problems with clones breeding like their original copy is from the receipt DNA then use something as closely related to the bull as possible eliminating any outside DNA.

Just a thought

That is a great point, and actually fairly credible logic.

I asked a friend (that owns an entire herd of recip cows) what makes a good recip.  He told me that she needs to be a good looking cow...in fact, good looking enough that you would have to ask if the calf by her side is an ET or Natural calf.  He went on to explain that some of his best recip cows were bought to be replacements but for whatever reason just never passed on their own traits. 

Great thought.