whats the knock on my turn's calves???

Help Support Steer Planet:

jhumphries

We have had several my turn calves and some of them are the best the best calves we ever had especially out of angus cows. Was wondering why more people don't use him???????? is it structure or hair quality just was wondering any answers are greatly appreciated. Here is a picture of a my turn we had this spring out of an angus cow

Attachments

• 2012 spring calves 002_opt.jpg
    2012 spring calves 002_opt.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 232

ai er

I agree totally. Only thing is, I've never had a bad one, but haven't gotten a state fair winner either. My Turn seems to work pretty well on purebred Angus, but the best ones are out of dams with some Who in their background.

Warrior10

I bought a My Turn heifer this past fall, and I am now a believer. I plan on using him next couple years.

jhumphries

Thanks for your answers i wish i could use him as my clean up bull we probably have had 15 calves out of him never had one that wasnt sellable.

ferkj

The calf that Goretskas won KC with in 2010 was a My Turn on a Maine X cow.

yukon pete

Ditto that.  We've got 3 of them out of Maine cross cows and they're the best calves we've had in quite some time.  Can't wait to see how they develop.

chambero

On our cows, all of the calves came really pretty made.  I've sold some of the best heifrs I've ever raised out of him with plenty of other good ones still in the pasture.  I really liked the steers early, but none of mine are getting as thick as they should with age.

Dyer Show cattle

I have had some good steers. The heifers I have kept back are more impressive. They are big framed and look like they are going to make some good cows that I think will work with anything you put in them. Have 1 with a calf right now doing good and another due anytime.

jhumphries

We also keep back a great set of heifers out of him last fall two of them might be the best heifers i ever kept back out of some OCC angus based cows. Will let you know this fall what kind of cows they make 

rasor club calves

We have a My Turn x Angus heifer that is really good. Only thing I don't like is her hair is VERY course and curly but she looks very good besides that. She will be AI to I-80 with high expectations.

jhumphries

rasor club calves said:
We have a My Turn x Angus heifer that is really good. Only thing I don't like is her hair is VERY course and curly but she looks very good besides that. She will be AI to I-80 with high expectations.
I would agree with that. Curly course hair is the only thing i would change on a couple that we had

DTW

ferkj said:
The calf that Goretskas won KC with in 2010 was a My Turn on a Maine X cow.
I am pretty sure the cow was a dejavue daughter.

nck21

We had a My Turn x Heatseeker last year. She was a standout from day one but she didn't get very big. That might be partly because of the cow. You have to be very selective as to what you breed her to because of the clubby gentics in her background!

I have not seen the MT since December. Have not been able to get in contact with the new owners.

ATM OH

We kept a My Turn heifer out of a Sim-Angus cow for a replacement and she just had her first calf a few weeks back.  She has a beautiful udder and is making a great young cow.  She has a bull calf by Doc that is impressive.  Not positive what to breed her back too now, maybe I80 or Amen.

GKE Cattle

Just saw a 12 hr old my turn out of an angus cow.  She is a sweetheart!  Right now she is big boned and great fronted and has PLENTY OF HAIR.  Not to big either,,maybe 75 lbs at the most.  I think she is a full sister to the My Turn heifer we tried to buy last year!!  I know we are going to breed a couple of straight angus cows to him.  I know one poster had on here to use him on Who daughters,,in the past ours have gotten alittle straight on that cross,,but part of the blame is on the cow,,He needs to go on one with plenty of set to the back legs and some slope to the front shoulder and then look out cuz you are more than likely going to get a good one.

Warrior10

Was going to start a topic about My Turn but found this one I had already commented in before. Anyway after more experience, I have seen/heard of a lot of bad bad disposition in these calves. The heifer I posted about earlier in this thread turned out to be pretty wild, not around me but with anyone who wasn't me. Is this a common experience for other people with the My Turn calves?

rf21970

Had 3 heifers and 1 bull outta My Turn on PB angus this spring. 1 of the heifers has the curly course hair mentioned earlier, but all 4 are really nice. He really passes on "the look".