What's Up with Iowa State Police??

Help Support Steer Planet:

ruhtram

knabe said:
QMC said:
I asked the DOT officer if they were concerned about the revenue they would lose by people avoiding Iowa.  He said "No, we don't care about that."

duh, they care about the job security from all the infrastructure and compliance industry.  there's way more revenue from that and votes from that from redistribution of wealth activities and funneling of taxes into government pay and union dues to the democrat party.

you have to look at it from a spreadsheet basis and where the money comes from.  probably the smallest revenue generation is from the actual ticket itself.

i wonder how many transfers into DOT from regular police forces there are.

until voters start going after politicians to streamline some of this stuff, the velocity of a new law will keep decreasing.  right now a new law is written every 13 minutes.

the public simply refuses to vote for anyone who will take any revenue away from anyone except the people who pay taxes that isn't funneled through a government job whose entire salary, benefits and taxes are paid for by the taxpayer.

the inevitable is more until even the interest on the debt can not be paid and needs to be refinanced with some new vehicle which can be traded as a commodity and no one will go to jail for creating it or benefiting from it, just like the housing crisis government employees, hint, the clinton administration for starting it, the bush administration for continuing and congress for forcing it to happen.

I think your on to something..

knabe

Cruiser said:
I think your on to something..

Probably not.  Voting results state otherwise.  With the left owning the schools, hollywood and the media and 95% of government, its a wonder there is anyone alive who disagree with them.

DLD

Chances are they were over 26000# gvw, which I believe is the federal magic number over which DOT numbers and CDL's are required.  This number is arrived at by adding together the gvw rating of the truck (if it was a late model one ton dualie, probably 13000) and the gaw (gross axle weight) rating of the trailer (if it was a 24' gooseneck, probably 7000 each).  Doesn't matter if it's empty or loaded.  Obviously some states enforce this (as well as the 150 mile rule, and many others) much stricter than others.  I know that anything over 10000# combined gvw has some regulations, but they get much more specific over 26000#.  A lot of people around here are going to 3/4 ton pickups and/or 6000# trailer axles (most 20' goosenecks have 6K axles) in an effort to stay "under the radar".

It's pretty frightening to me that we need all this but the 80 year old couple with the same truck and a 36' long, 8' wide, 12' high fifth wheel travel trailer doesn't, because it's for "recreational use"...

bruiser

I guess I've been mistaken for 52 years. I could have sworn I lived in "THE LAND OF THE FREE". Not the "LAND OF THE D.O.T." Excuse my soapbox but I thought I could cross state lines and do business. Basically you're telling me to stay in my own neighborhood? There are several corporate farms around here that farm more than 150 miles apart and I don't see D.O.T. #'s on their pickups pulling grain tables down the road.

justa cowman

This is one reason for the new popularity of 4 door non-dually trucks they don't fall in the cdl class and the post is correct you must have all the extra supplies and its not just Iowa same here in Indiana

knabe

DLD said:
It's pretty frightening to me that we need all this but the 80 year old couple with the same truck and a 36' long, 8' wide, 12' high fifth wheel travel trailer doesn't, because it's for "recreational use"...

Most of these laws have an interesting history.  They are written to have specific exemptions and preferences instead of treating everyone equally or making the law have clarity.

The gray area is pickups that can tow and compete with larger trucks which pay more taxes.  How do you make it fair to force an inspection service on them but allow one tons to haul?  How do you enforce the intent of the law instead of the letter?

You have to rewrite the law just like the basic speed law can change the speed limit.  There simply isnt enough organized pushback on laws and they end up targeting these in between areas and spiral out of control and at some point require lobbying because lawmakers have lost connection with actual private industry.  But ..... Voters don't understand this and only vote in candidates based on social and emotional issues,, mostly abortion.

justme

It's really killing those of us in Missouri on the Iowa line...I can't even take calves to the vet 25 miles away without a DOT#, health card ect.  It's rediculous!  Its hard to find a good large animal vet and we have one but he's over the Iowa line.  We've even changed the sale barn we have used for the past 13 years.  It's a shame, the Lamoni Livestock barn is terrific, but I just can't get a ticket.  The Pioneer seed guy got nailed, and a vet with an empty trailer going across the line got ticketed.

ZNT

I guess everyone better just come to Texas to buy their cattle.  Very few laws, and the ones there are, are loosely enforced.  Except for speeding through the small towns.  They will get you there.

DLD

I know a few people in OK that are in a panic to keep up with these regs.  Everyone else is just going about their business with no problems.  The fact is that I personally only know of one instance in OK where anyone that wasn't actually hauling commercially has gotten fined for anything discussed in this thread.  This was a farm tagged semi truck found to be 180 miles from home, delivering their own wheat to the Port of Catoosa.  The reason they got in trouble - they were involved in an accident with a state trooper.

ploughshare

Or you could just complete the requirements and not worry about any of this.  Right or wrong, its a cost of doing business.  I agree that it doen't seem logical for recreational vehicals to be exempt. 

knabe

Glenstory said:
Or you could just complete the requirements and not worry about any of this.  Right or wrong, its a cost of doing business.  I agree that it doen't seem logical for recreational vehicals to be exempt. 

laws aren't forever, just like politicians.  if it's bad and the politicians won't fix it, vote out the politician.

the police don't yet write the laws.

DLD

It does seem like the 150 mile limit is out-dated.  It's just a smaller world these days.  I do some business across state lines, but it's mostly OK/TX and it's never been a problem.  I certainly feel for those of you who have to deal with much stricter regulations.  We need to be pro-active about this.  Legislators need to understand that over-regulating farm trucks will cost producers in their state money in lost sales, as well as vets, sale barns, et al, and the plain old travel expenses like food, fuel, lodging, etc...  If they have to keep their thumb on us, something like a simple, easy to obtain permit would make life easier on everyone.  Maybe like a 10 day one for the occasional trip, or an annual one for those who need it regularly.  Most of us could live with this, even if it limited gvw to 26K or something in that neighborhood.

Another thought.. I expect there is some pressure from the commercial trucking industry to keep the pressure on us, so that we'll find it easier to hire them than to do it ourselves.

Limiman12

Heard back from state senator.  There's are several dot regs that are on the radar,  Some want to increase requirements on farmers but there is also a push back from some as well