What's your favorite cold weather clothes?

Help Support Steer Planet:

drl

Going out to feed this morning it was 45 degrees and raining. Makes me think about getting the cold weather clothes out. What are your favorite cold weather clothes? Especially those that keep you warm when the cows need hay and it is -20. AAOK what would be the best socks and boots?

Bradenh

where do you live lol its 94 here. my favorite is jeans and a tee shirt and maby a hoody (lol) because it stays nice and warm in south east tx

lightnin4

I like my Patgonia Capilene 3 baselayers  (sufficient in Tennessee - we don't see -20 degrees though - you might need Capilene 4  ;)).  They're warm enough and not compression fit like Under Armour.  I like my Smartwool socks too.  But, it'll be awhile before I have to drag those out here!

drl

I live in Wisconsin. We can get those 94 days during state fair and -30 wind chills in January and Feburary. If you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes and it will change.

chambero

Nothing warmer for working outside in Texas winters than a good cotton hooded sweatshirt with a Carhart coat over top of it.

I use other "fancier" stuff for my hunting trips, but for working clothes I don't think there is anything better.

FutureBreeder2013

Good ol wranglers and a sweatshirt. If it gets cold enough I may throw on a layer of long johns.

The winter time here in NE IA is a different story. Ill dig out my insulated bid overalls, carhartt coat, and wool socks.

firesweepranch

chambero said:
Nothing warmer for working outside in Texas winters than a good cotton hooded sweatshirt with a Carhart coat over top of it
I totally agree!!! SW Missouri on most days can be hoodie/carhart weather. Just need something under the jeans to keep legs warm  ;)

hamburgman

I am all about a good pair of jeans during the winter, with a sweatshirt and windbreaker coat plus a stocking cap.  If it gets below 0 I pull out a pair of flannel pajama pants, anything more than this I just seem to sweat to much then end up real cold later on.

herfluvr

Insulated MUCK BOOTS!!! and Under Armor.  We are in the lake effect area and MUCK BOOTS are the bomb!

brenn

chambero said:
Nothing warmer for working outside in Texas winters than a good cotton hooded sweatshirt with a Carhart coat over top of it.

I use other "fancier" stuff for my hunting trips, but for working clothes I don't think there is anything better.

I couldn't agree with you more!!! (thumbsup)

farmboy

carharts overalls with a long sleeve shirt with a hoodyv over it. i rocked that get up all winter on the farm and calving season

AAOK

drl said:
Going out to feed this morning it was 45 degrees and raining. Makes me think about getting the cold weather clothes out. What are your favorite cold weather clothes? Especially those that keep you warm when the cows need hay and it is -20. AAOK what would be the best socks and boots?

Lots of talk about Carhartt.  A little History:  I can remember (around 1966) when Carhatt Jumpers(quiz: who knows what a Jumper is?) arrived on the scene in Kansas.  That's the first we had heard of the brand in Oklahoma.  My Dad found the only Salesman representing most of the midwest.  The company couldn't ship in further south that the southern boarder of Kansas.  My Dad told the salesman what he wanted, paid cash, and we picked up our merchandise about three months later in Wichita.  We did this for several years, and were the only Carhartt dealer in Oklahoma.  It was probably around the early to mid 70s before Carhartt made it into Texas. 

kobo_ranch

Never have to much but last year at county pretty chilly.  (2nd weekend of January) then Ft Worth can be chilly too.  Love the Carhartt stuff but I have a pair of WALLS quilted bib overalls, and my most comfortable KEEN high top hikers that I like to wear.  They are old but I put a new insole insert in them and like new those things last forever!  I also have a cheapie ski like long lightweight coat that waterproof with a hood that can take a beating.  Hard for gals to figure out what to wear that won't mess up!

flacowman

Jeans and one of my (several) Carrharts.  Most of the time I get away with a long sleeved shirt though here in the Fl panhandle.

We AI around Christmas and I cut the left arm off of an older jacket especially for that job.  Keeps me warm if i need it and just wash it after I'm done.  It's a good trick I thought I'd share  <beer>

cowz

Under 30 degrees:  sweats under insulated bib overalls, with another hoodie and a carhart jacket .....if wind is cooking....my polar fleece Elmer Fudd hat. ;)

HAB

During actual winter the main thing we need is layers.  Usually a T-shirt, covered by a long sleeved shirt or two, covered by a non hooded sweatshirt, covered by a hooded sweatshirt.  For pants usually long johns, jeans, and ajust about any brand of insulated bib type coveralls.  If it is real cold and windy, I do have ainsulated Carharrt type coat.  Hat is a wool "engineer" type with ear flaps.  For my hands cotton insert in leather, if real cold, wool liners in my leather "Chopper" mittens.  When I say real cold, it is anything below -40 windchill.  On a nice sunny -20 degree day a good hoody will do just fine.   ;D