what's your pick of PB Shorthorn bull to use on heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

5PCC

I'm looking to AI a Charolais-cross heifer to a PB red or red roan Shorthorn bull. I'm looking for a bull that is clean on all of the genetic testing and is known for calving ease. The heifer is out of Believe In Me. She has a small frame and is super thick. Any suggestions?

Lucky_P

Quite a few possibilities - and recent threads here cover a bunch of them.

The one I've used enough to feel absolutely confident of is Waukaru Goldmine 2109.  Short gestation(271 day avg.), 12.4 CED, -1.8 BW, both with accuracies above .80; but has WW/YW above breed average.  They come slender & easy.  After 4 yrs of using 2109, I'm comfortable using him on any heifer here.

Will they be what you're looking for, for the show ring?  I have no idea; we're a commercial operation.

Doc

This year on heifers I'm using A&T Renegade, Lakeside Nitro as far as purebred bulls go and Mercedes Benz for some plus calves.

RyanChandler

If you're wanting Shorthorn and low birth weight and you're goal is to produce a show calf, the only options I know of are jakes proud jazz and many of his sons and maybe the elbee leader bulls.  If you plan on watching your heifers good, there are more bulls in the Shorthorn breed that you can use than ones you can't.

OH Breeder

-XBAR- said:
If you're wanting Shorthorn and low birth weight and you're goal is to produce a show calf, the only options I know of are jakes proud jazz and many of his sons and maybe the elbee leader bulls.  If you plan on watching your heifers good, there are more bulls in the Shorthorn breed that you can use than ones you can't.

IF the female is moderate and compact already with lots of muscle the Jazz line is not going to add any frame. Elbee bulls do add rib shape and can clean up necks but do not add much frame size. Jazz himself tends to produce that shorter stride and clubby appearing cattle when used back on compact females that are more muscular in my experience.
I would add a picture. It always helps to see the female. There are calving ease bulls that can add some femininty to your female if you are looking to keep replacements or am I reading you wrong on the compact muscular part?

If you want to steer clear of ALL genetic defects have you tested her for TH? She is out of a carrier bull? I can Personal message you for further details if you need help on that.

I like doc's suggestions. Nitro especially knowing cow family.

sue

Capatain Obvious reg # 4113971 is free of all current genetic issues DS, TH and PHA free. It's posted on American Shorthorn's web page when u search his number.  Should you decide to use his son Lakeside Nitro- he is a little straighter off the rear, both bulls are very sound and docile.  For a second calver I would use Lakeside Doc Clark 918- also DS, TH and PHA free. <rock>

aj

I saw a Beckton Red Angus ad........it was interesting that every bull they put back into the herd.......is used on heifers their first season. They aren't even aware of the heifer vs. herd bull concept. Every bull is a heifer bull. But once you introduce a large bwt trait into a gene pool. It is always there to bounce around and create a problem on a heifer. Interesting stuff. There are heifers out there that have big bwtss in their genetics that will have a big calf no matter what you breed them to.

RyanChandler

sue said:
Capatain Obvious reg # 4113971 is free of all current genetic issues DS, TH and PHA free. It's posted on American Shorthorn's web page when u search his number.  Should you decide to use his son Lakeside Nitro- he is a little straighter off the rear, both bulls are very sound and docile.  For a second calver I would use Lakeside Doc Clark 918- also DS, TH and PHA free. <rock>

Rank those 3 bulls in terms of their potential to sire a show quality calf

Davis Shorthorns

Here is a pretty typical Doc daughter.  She is just at 1 yr in this pict.  For show calves I would say he needs to be bred to something with hair and some bone, but he will power one up and add some belly, a very moderate bw, a perfect udder and make them pretty easy doing kind of cattle.  All calves this year that I know of are under 80 lbs and his average is probably around 81. 

Attachments

• MD Kendra 113A.jpg
    MD Kendra 113A.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 497

Davis Shorthorns

Here is a first calf Doc heifer one day after calving.

Attachments

• 544899_10101237972909331_822514992_n.jpg
    544899_10101237972909331_822514992_n.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 237

RyanChandler

That is an excellent udder on that cow, Matt.  The amount of forward volume is very impressive  (thumbsup)  You'll never have to worry if her calf is getting enough milk or not