Wheat Harvest

Help Support Steer Planet:

KCK

Does anyone have any stories yet? We just put up some information at work about the start of harvest in Oklahoma; www.wheat.state.ok.us and on our facebook fan page- Oklahoma Wheat Commission.
How is it going for you? Looks like the fire got turned up in SW Oklahoma, with multiple over 100 degree days in the 10-day. Pictures are always welcome too. Work in the wheat world, but behind a desk. Don't get too many chances to see it in action!

pjkjr4

I sent 2 trucks down to the Altus area yesterday to help haul out. Sounds like pretty decent yields so far. Talked to a fellow at Wheeler Bros. out of Watonga this morning, and he said Omega and Kingfisher both took 1 tandem load apiece yesterday. Must've been Jagalene. Just driving home from work last night, it looked like the wheat had ripened 3 days worth in 1 day. Things should get cranked up in the Enid-Ponca City area by Monday or Tuesday next week.

EVERYBODY WATCH OUT FOR THE CUSTOM CUTTER HELP. Lots of inexeperienced hands that don't fully appreciate safety on the roads, and in the field.

KCK

Those Jagger varieties were the first one to be taken in in the SW part, too. This weather is perfect for some fast ripening that is for sure! Thanks for the heads up on that. Might have to make a few calls to different areas, not just focus on the SW part with these high temps and low humidity.

And, thank you so much for the reminder on FARM SAFETY! This is definitely a heads up time of year in many parts of the state. Anything can happen and we hope we don't get any reports of problems!

Keep us posted and if you have pictures, please let us see them. I wish, wish, wish someone would call the office and invite me out to harvest so I can get some pictures. If you know of anyone, please have them call the Oklahoma Wheat Commission office at 405-608-4350. Hint, hint:)

KCK

FYI- our facebook page reports a load being taken in Loyal, OK too:) Still in the 13's for moisture.....

JAG

We're probably two and a half to three weeks away from harvest here in Ohio.  Which is about two weeks ahead of our normal harvest time for wheat.

aj

In nw Kansas planes are flying on quilt like crazy to stop streak rust mainly. Logan,Sherman, and Thomas county spraying alot. Trying to save the flag leaf. Cool,cool weather and damp mornings here.

KCK

Rust is an issue, for sure, even in Oklahoma. Glad they are being proactive and trying to not take the hit in the bin and with proteins.
Direct quote from a newsletter I receive...
Kansas:
01-Jun; Dr. Erick DeWolf, Plant Pathologist, Kansas State University:  “I have been out this past week surveying fields and conducting extension programs in North Central and Western Kansas.  Stripe rust continues to be a major concern for farmers in the state.  The severity of stripe rust has increased dramatically during the last two weeks and most fields have 20-40% severity on the flag leaves. However, I have observed research plots and production fields with greater than 80% severity on the flag leaf at the early stages of grain development.  Yield loss to stripe rust is likely to be significant in Kansas this year. 

Leaf rust was also observed in central Kansas this past week.  Severity of leaf rust in Reno county (central KS) was approaching 30% on flag leaves of varieties Overley, and Jagger (known to be susceptible to leaf rust).  Leaf rust was also noted on Armour, Fuller, and PostRock, which have been highly resistant in recent years.”

aj

Tam 111 supposed to be stripe rust resistant also. They pretty much are shutting down planes here cause wheat plants to far along. Also some guy named cotullaguy kept calling our local sprayer and kept yelling something about a conspiracy. That didn't help any.

KCK

There are some new varieties coming down the pipe that, in my opinion, we need to get into some fields. They are really hammering Oklahoma on dockage issues right now. Our wheat is coming in pretty dirty, but we do graze a large amount of it and with that comes issues.
Conspiracy you say? Hum.. .guess I just am not that scared:)

pjkjr4

KCK said:
There are some new varieties coming down the pipe that, in my opinion, we need to get into some fields. They are really hammering Oklahoma on dockage issues right now. Our wheat is coming in pretty dirty, but we do graze a large amount of it and with that comes issues.
Conspiracy you say? Hum.. .guess I just am not that scared:)

Are you talking dockage right now as in this week, or as a whole? Keep in mind, this harvest is still terribly early. The berrry itself maybe 13% moisture or less, but the plant probably is not completely dead, making it really tough to clean, especially with the humidity at 40% or better. Also, there are a bunch of other cool season grasses out in those fields that are running through the combine.

aj

I was going to ask if ....by dirty....you meant rusty. I know there are years where the brown dust just rolls out of the machines at harvest. I once fed dust that our local grain elevator sucked out of the air in their facility in their dust system. I would then dump this dust on the ground for my cows. It helped me get through 8 years of a drought. Anyway the one year we decided the rusty wheat dust could cause abortions in livestock so it was not fed. It was nasty stuff to breath also. This grain dust product ran around 8 % protein. I guess it would be similar to wheat middlings.

KCK

We have talked with elevator operators in SW Oklahoma and they mentioned the excessive dockage. With them being over 60 percent complete and still mentioning it, they are a tick grouchy. Moisture reports have been pretty low, even "awesome" by one managers account in Hobart area. Running low 11's and he was excited since they are just getting rolling. I totally understand we are a long way from being 100 percent in the bin and it might be a while if we get pop up storms like they are predicting this weekend.

Aj... there is a rust that hits the wheat. It literally makes the wheat have a rust color to it and if you walk out in it in blue jeans, they won't be so blue when you exit (if it is bad enough) How it comes out of the combine and that sort of thing- I have never heard about it. I would love to say I have been able to hang out around harvest, but I never, ever have.

aj

I walked through a field of jagalene today. Hasn't been sprayed. Half of all flag leaves are brown. Not sure if its kinda normal changing or not. Hope the flag leaf can hang on to fill  head.

KCK

In case anyone is interested.... Oklahoma harvest report as of 4 p.m. on June 9. Feel free to tell me how things are in your area, Oklahoma or otherwise....
Hollis area:
The producers in and around Hollis still have 20 percent of their crop to haul in because they are experiencing better fields and yields than initially expected. Our sources have only had one load below 60 pounds for test weights, with their average being 63 pounds. Yields are coming in from 25 bushels per acre on grazed wheat to 60 bushels per acre. Moisture is low, along with the humidity, and producers are in the fields attempting to get the last of harvest done.
Tuttle/Amber/Pocasset area:
Producers are getting a later start today, with machines just now getting in the fields. Heavy cloud cover and high humidity have kept them sidelined today, but harvest is 75 percent done around this area. One reports states their test weight average at 63 pounds and another at 61 pounds. Yields continue to be all over the board, ranging from 30 to 60 bushels per acre.
Clinton/Hydro/Hinton area:
Producers have been harvesting for one week, custom crews are in the region now and they are about 25 percent done. One report turned in proteins in the 12 to 14 percent range. Reports indicate yields to be in the 40 to 50 bushel window and test weights all over 61 pounds, averaging 62 pounds along I-40. Thus far, most crop hauled in has been Jagger and Jagger varieties. Humidity has been high so they are really getting started right now. Moisture is reported at a 12 percent average, the sun is out and there isn’t any rain in the region; therefore other varieties are close to ready.
Seiling/Okeene area:
This region saw a little rain yesterday and this morning and now producers aren’t in the field. The clouds are going away and the humidity has dropped a few percentage points, but samples are still running in the 12 to 13 percent moisture range. Early maturing Jagger and Endurance fields have been cut with test weights above 61 pounds. Reports say the kernel color is good and thus far producers are reporting thicker stands than initially thought.
Cashion area:
Harvest slowly started last Friday, but is on hold today. Loads hauled in today were Jagger and cut last night. Test weights were 61 to 62 pounds and at 11.5 percent moisture. They believe the area is 20 percent done, but farmers are going to need some heat and wind to move the clouds and calm the humidity to get any further today.
Medford/Wakita area:
There were two days suitable for harvesting some Jagger acreage in this region. Approximately 3/10 to ¾ inch of rain scattered around the area put a stop to that on Monday and producers are still sidelined. Of the loads actually taken in, test weights are from 60 to 62 pounds with moisture from 13 to 14 percent.
Harvest hasn’t hit western Oklahoma, yet. Calls to Mutual and Shattuck report that a few samples have been taken in, all pretty wet but still with test weights of 60 pounds. They are expecting harvest to start toward the middle of next week, if not Sunday or Monday, weather permitting.

aj

The big story here,in the Goodland Ks area, is the huge basis on a bushel of wheat. Like 1.40 cents,.....is that possible. I heard once rail freight to Kansas City was .90 cents.

Davis Shorthorns

Mcpherson area is about 75% done.  We got going good arond here last thurs.  At the farm where I work if the weather holds we shold be done wednesday.  Our moistures have been in the low 12's

simtal

was told that some local wheat is in southern OK and Northern TX is anywhere from 1.50 to 2.00 under the board