Wheelchair in showring

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cyfarmer

I am struggling with something. We have a very nice family in our county that has a son in a motorized wheelchair. The boy is a cattle fanatic, and active in 4-H. They weighed in a steer, and plan to enter a heifer for our fair. The boy would like to be able to show the projects at the fair.
Has anyone seen, or been around someone showing cattle in a wheelchair? Just looking for thoughts, as my concern is obviously the safety issue. Not only for the kid in the chair, but for all of the other exhibitors in the ring at the same time. I have no doubt the will have any cattle the bring puppy dog quiet, but what about the other cattle in the ring that have never seen a motorized wheelchair???? 

shortybreeder

A girl in a wheelchair won the MN State Fair Grand Champion Market Steer 3 years in a row a few years ago. They had someone else "show" the animal while she buzzed alongside them. She was very handicapped though, she couldn't hold onto the rope hardly. I don't think it bothered the other animals in the ring too much.

I have seen this a number of times and it has always been fine. Maybe just make sure other exhibitors give this person more room if you are concerned.

LLBUX

Just give them some room if you are concerned about noise or motion. 

Those children deserve the opportunity too.

They will have to put in lots of work to train the calf to remain calm.