When should you start clipping your calf?

Help Support Steer Planet:

fbrmom

Our fair isn't until July but I want this calf as calm as can be by then since my 9 yr old will be showing it.  Should I be putting him in the chute and clipping him now? and since we are blow and go type of fair what should we be clipping? I watched the fitting and showmanship video by the Jr. Angus Association and it says about clipping the neck and brisquit area up to and threw the head and feathering the shoulders in, should we be doing that now or just concentrate on the head? If I remember right there were so many different fitting techniques last year I don't know where to start.  Some of the cattle only had hair on the top of the tail, topline, legs and top of poll, some had hair everywhere.  The ones that had hair everywhere seemed to do the best so what should I be clipping?  Thanks  ???

Dozer45

If you spend a lot of time with him every day and groom him they usually dont mind the clippers. When you start on their head for the first time they get a little surprised but nothing bad. The hardest part is down by their nose, I think it tickles them. Have you considered going to a local jackpot before the fair? This would give you a chance to clip him as well as expose him to a show setting and give your daughter a little extra experience.
<cowboy>

frostback

Once mine stop fighting the halter I  wash and blow them then even get to  clipping them. I may not get all of them but a start. Then the next time you usually can get more. Start doing all you can now. Use the showstick too. I agree about getting him out once or twice. Those day shows introduce him to a lot in a short amount of time. Sometimes I take one and just leave him tied to the trailer so he can see the commotion, it helps. There are a lot of tips on here if you do a search and look at the hair care tips in the other category that I cant think of the name. Make sure the 9 year old is near when doing these things. The calf needs to get used to them. As far as what to clip if you are new to it, but want to do it yourself, now is the time to get a expert, or professional, or whatever you want to call it to come and do it and teach you. 

AAOK

My thought is that Jr. Cattle Showing is just like any other sport; if you don't practice every day, you probably won't get much better.  Our family showed year round except for July.  We washed once or twice a week, rinsed and brushed twice a day, clipped about every-other week, and worked on our calves' gait and set-up three times a week.  I liked to have my calves off the cow, and on feed at 2 to 4 months.  Halter breaking began immediately, as well as the daily fitting routine.  The calves we kept were in the Show Ring at 5 to 7 months, and the others usually sold by then.

Clipping for the first time was rarely a problem because the calves were used to the attention from birth.  This procedure may not be for everybody, but it worked for us.  By the way, we started from scratch with absolutely know knowledge of Cattle, or Showing.

PaFFA Proud

FBRmom, lol u seem to ask the same questions that  I about post. Just to let u know there is a Beef Expo in State College like the 3rd weekend in March that your daughter might like attending. They have clinics before the shows. If you want more info go to the PA Cattleman's website, I plan on going since its my first time showing a steer and my last showing as a youth and want all the experience I can get so I can later on teach my girls to show!

mlcattle

i like to keep calves roughed out. i dont like going out and see a calf with hair popping everywhere, looking shaggy everywhere. keeping them roughed out makes it more eye appealing in the barn.

OH Breeder

mlcattle said:
i like to keep calves roughed out. i dont like going out and see a calf with hair popping everywhere, looking shaggy everywhere. keeping them roughed out makes it more eye appealing in the barn.

We do the same thing. We clip when they start getting shaggy. BEsides keep the calf calmer and use to it, it does help stimulate hair growth when you clip.

Silver

Does anybody else slick sheer their calves? I did one of my spares in march for a July 30th fair and it seemed like he had better hair than the rest of my calves and I didn't groom him near as much. I'm just wondering if he had the better hair genetics or if that actually promoted hair growth and health.