when to band for a show steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

flacowman

Never...we blade castrate at 3 months.  All banding has gotten us was worry and problems so we just cut them and it's done

Bulldaddy

We band when we know that the calf is to be a steer.  That can be anytime really but usually around 4 to 6 months.  We also give a tetanus shot two weeks  prior to banding and then again at banding.  One week after banding we cut the sack off below just below the band. 

rackranch

Bringing the calves up three time for castration seems like alot of work...

Possum Trot Ranch said:
We band when we know that the calf is to be a steer.  That can be anytime really but usually around 4 to 6 months.  We also give a tetanus shot two weeks  prior to banding and then again at banding.  One week after banding we cut the sack off below just below the band. 

beefmasterboy24

As stated above about 4-6 months unless theyre born super stout. We use to "knife cut" but we banded this year and it works great. (thumbsup) Also, make sure to give a tetanus shot before you band them.

BadgerFan

I knife cut some late March/early April born calves last night.  10cc of Penicillin just to be on the safe side, and out they go with mama again.  Calves don't miss a beat.

I leave them intact until they start to show the first signs of a crest.  Heavier muscled calves will crest up before the lighter muscled ones.

Not sure it's the right way for club calves, but has worked for me for years.  I do not band ever, though I can see the industry possibly going that way in the future due to animal welfare concerns.

CAB

I band them the same time that I ear tag them. If you want to have them fall off a bit quicker and protect yourself somewhat from Tetnus, make a small slit in the bag to let the gases out instead of having them have to go through the body so to speak. Been banding calves this way for @ least 3 decades.

Till-Hill

Buddy cuts them at birth but I am not confident enough to do that so I wait untill I ultrasound cows when calves are 100 days old or so and have vet cut them then. I would much rather cut a baby or a 200 pounder than an 800 lb one!

Latest posts