Which Bull would you use? Pics included

Help Support Steer Planet:

rocknmranch

This is the shorthorn heifer that we recently purchased....

DF VEGAS 310M

Double Stuff 306
Miss Roecker 206
        Miss Caffee 206

Would love to hear some options for Bulls. She is due to calve in the spring, so I won't be breeding her till later, but want to know what you guys think. It would be nice to get something kinda flashy, and I don't know how genetics of Shorthorns crossed with others work. Like how Blue Roans happen, or big painted spots.
Need to order semen for the tank, all we have now is ALI, DIRECT HIT, GOLD MINE, MONEY TALKS, GAMBLAR, 600U and lots of Angus stuff like T510, 095, 1407, Saugatchee 3000, Boyd on Target and some others.

Attachments

• IMG_9366.JPG
    IMG_9366.JPG
    837.7 KB · Views: 198
  • l_1daa8baebbebd1da90c60187eeef0e4f.jpg
    l_1daa8baebbebd1da90c60187eeef0e4f.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 202

OH Breeder

Unfortunately an til you see how she calves and get an idea of what she can handle I am not sure I would select an AI sire just yet for her.
If she calves out okay and you think she is ready for a bigger calving weight sire then do some research and pick a bull. But that is just me. We calve our heifers and sometimes they are not ready on their second calf to go with bigger birthweights. I like to get an idea of what size of calf they can handle and then I research what I think will click.

rocknmranch

I understand that thought completely. 

We bred a PBsim heifer, good frame size, to ALI, a "calving ease" bull. Lost the calf after having to pull it, and the heifer won't breed up now. She has feedlot written all over her.

OH Breeder

rocknmranch said:
I understand that thought completely. 

We bred a PBsim heifer, good frame size, to ALI, a "calving ease" bull. Lost the calf after having to pull it, and the heifer won't breed up now. She has feedlot written all over her.

That sucks. Hard one to swallow.Even calving ease sires can throw a big one based on females history of birthweights. I would look back in the heifers dam's history and check birthweights. You don't want to get into the same situation. We ahd the same case last year. Used a calving ease sire on a SS Kaboom daugther. She had a 96# BW and we had a 105# folded up heifer. Probably would have had issues either way as she was folded but even after we unfolded her and took her out the side it was a tug. I am holding my breath this year. The heifer came back in and settled to our DZ Fool Son.

kfacres

interesting pedigree... . IMO the first thing you need to know is blood test- especially with that pedigree, I'd say she has to be TH+...  What's she bred to now?  What are you wanting to do with the calf- clubby or seedstock?  Might try J3's Ivy League on her- I'd say he'd body her down...  Might also try something Vortec bred- they tend to work on Stuff's...  feeder duck has a whale of a bull too- that I'd th ink would work, Wildside..

feeder duck

DCC Smokin Joe 157P    He is  clean both ways

NBJ Gigolo Joe            He is  clean both ways as well.

She needs something to give her some flank and rib depth.

Jeff