Which Maine Anjou bulls are for heifers and steers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

forbes family farms

I am really new at A.I and i am wanting some help on which Maine Anjou bulls i would get heifers and steers that are going to be used in the show ring but still as the calving ease and the heifers later on as cows. Thanks so much for your help have a great day. Thanks

Rancher74

I would say after looking at our calves and some of our neighbors the Maine bulls that we like the most for heifers and steers would be Shiver and Gucci. Both seem to be very consistent.

nativeman

Had a Gigilo Joe out of a cow, 90plus and it was a heifer. Shivers are ok but first calf heifer pulled a bull calf 90plus. I say Rocky Balboa. 3 calves all spit out of small cows.

Attachments

• 288.JPG
    288.JPG
    608.7 KB · Views: 357

wscc

I belive the answer to your question is Mercedes Benz!!! He has done a wonderful job on calving ease. CaLVES HAVE AVERAGED FROM 68 TO 82 POUNDS, AND ARE MADE RIGHT TO COME OUT. Small heads smooth shoulders. We have calved out over 50 calves with great sucess.

As far as making competiteve steers and heifers. Wade Rodgers has already bought some of his steers and I know of a heifer who has already sold for 10K at 2 months, so I would say the traders believe they will be good. I will attach a couple pics of steers and heifers for you of Benz calves, and feel free to call and ask questions.

Eric Walker
479-601-3567

Attachments

• MercedesBenz18x12.jpg
    MercedesBenz18x12.jpg
    510.3 KB · Views: 345
  • MerecedesBenz318x12.jpg
    MerecedesBenz318x12.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 676
  • grim steer 2010 #1.JPG
    grim steer 2010 #1.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 346
  • grim steer 2010.JPG
    grim steer 2010.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 255

mccartan

I would use Gigolo Joe.  We bred several heifers to him this past year with good results.  The heifer pictured is out of a commercial maine/angus heifer.  This is just a pasture snapshot.  We will have a more accurate picture coming as we just had the sale calves in the picture pen this weekend.  He added mass and thickness to all of the calves.  We will be breeding 20 of our heifers to him next year.  I would highly recommend him.

Attachments

• 25%20gigolo%20joe%20and%20makaylee%20015.jpg
    25%20gigolo%20joe%20and%20makaylee%20015.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 303

RSC

If your looking at a high% Maine that is moderate bw but not necessarily a heifer bull, take a look at The Ringer.  I seen a set of calves this spring out of him and was very impressed.  Should make some real nice show heifers and competitive county fair steers. 

Tony

Blackhawk

I would use Hard Core and Gucci. Hard Core has been real consistent for me over the years on my maine cows. Birth weights have varied from 70 to 90 pounds but quality and marketability have been good. Gucci calves have been impressive for me on my cows. Calves have been hairy and stylish with good bone. Calved out some to first calf heifers and weights were consistent 68 to 75 pounds. I consider him very easy calving. Also both bulls are out cross to everything else on the market. Plenty of Ali sons to use and lots of ali duaghters in production. Good Luck!

PWolfe

If you do not mind using older genetics, I would recommend Maine Break.  We have always been quite pleased with his calves; one of our top heifer calves born this spring is a Maine Break.

justme

Majors Money Man and Gigolo Joe work great in our herd.  Consist and solid calves.  On 2nd calvers I'm going to try GVC Maverick.  I like the looks of him and his pedigree.

Rancher74

Received this picture of a Gucci heifer bred by Barry Nowatzki over in Indiana the other day.  Our Gucci's are very similar with that awesome shaggy hiar coat. We have 6 on the ground with 1 more due by the weekend. They just seem softer made with that cool look.

Attachments

• GucciHeiferPic3.jpg
    GucciHeiferPic3.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 347

HGC

Justme,  
We are really pleased with our two GVC Maverick calves.  We are using alot more of him this year.  Our BW's were moderate enough that I plan on using him on 2nd calvers, as well.

Matt Lautner bought our Maverick heifer calf.  The bull calf we our going to leave a bull.  They are both really nice.