which one of these would you pick?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Diamond G

we have narrowed our steer choice to these 3. the white faced one does have a small bit of brahma hump but not much. which one would you choose? sorry the pics arent better. they were taken in the pasture with my cell phone. there were many super nice angus but they were too young/small to be ready by the march fair

IMG_20120807_174550.jpg

IMG_20120807_171013.jpg

IMG_20120807_165129.jpg

cpratz

Diamond G said:
we have narrowed our steer choice to these 3. the white faced one does have a small bit of brahma hump but not much. which one would you choose? sorry the pics arent better. they were taken in the pasture with my cell phone. there were many super nice angus but they were too young/small to be ready by the march fair

IMG_20120807_174550.jpg

IMG_20120807_171013.jpg

IMG_20120807_165129.jpg
The last steer

vc

If I had to take one it would probably be the second one. The first looks like a nice heifer, the second has to much ear for me (looks like he has some body and will grow for you), The third looks OK hard to tell from this angle, he looks like he may have a little bit of attitude, he is the only one that looks like he is not about to run away, at you maybe, away, no)

Not knowing what you are showing against It is hard to say, I would look some more if that is an option.

Diamond G

There were a lot of really nice calves but for the timeframe we have we had to look to the bigger calves. We have to make a minimum of 975 by 3/8/13 and these guys are all at approx 550 right now. My husband is leaning toward the red brindle, i wish i couldve gotten a better pic of him but he was so busy bucking and running. he has the most muscle of the 3 but he does look like hes got an attitude (good thing my son is 17yo, 6ft 289llbs)

the second one we are worried that the bit of hump might be some brahma influence since they are commercial beef who knows what all is in there - thats his momma in the background. his sire is pure angus. may not give us the marbling we need for choice grade

the blond has the best frame in my opinion and seems the calmest and most curious so probably the easiest to break but im not sure he will gain quickly enough

the majority of the competition will have angus - so might not be a bad idea to have a non black steer? in shows past the all black classes the judge seems to take forever deciding where in classes with some color several times the non black has placed first - maybe they just stick out??

BuckeyeBeef2

I feel that the first one has the nicest structure, and the 3rd one has more power and muscle, depends on the judge.  With the right feed and top dresses, you can get muscle.  The second steer, looks like he hocks in a little bit in those back legs.  I would take the third one if he is easy enough to tame, but at the same time, I think the first one could be good enough that if its going to be to troublesome to break the one, go for the best structure of the 3

dblnnumber1

Hello,
I am guessing from your location you are looking for a steer for Alachua County? I am glad for your interest, I would reccomend you attend the Pre-Fair seminar on September 8. They will be covering a wide range of selection criteria and presenting information that would be benefitial for your child in the upcoming year. Moreover, I would contact the Beef Committee from your fair, They will be able to give you the names of other producers that will have calves available that will be complete and competive for your child. My only advice on the pictures above are that if they are running and bucking from a truck in an open pasture, what is gonna happen when you halter and try to confine them?