Which shorthorn bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

I'd go with JPJ or Captain Obvious for real broody easy keeping females that can also show.  Now the captains might not have the flash of the JPJ's, but I have seen a bunch of Captain daughters and they are all really deep easy keeping cattle with perfect udders.  Come really easy at birth.  My JPJ's have a bit more bone and come looking like a little show steer.  I have seen a bunch of Gus daughters and really like them.  They will be a little larger cattle, but imo not to big.  Maybe on your cows though.  I would use JPJ or Captain then go back with Gus on them. 

ty378

yes shadybrook seems to do a nice job they were using DF Waco with some luck. Ive been reading lots in the last couple days and I dont mind if the cattle have some size been looking hard at GUS, Taladega, and Starburst. So many chocies out there now. How many Gus calves have you had?

ty378

Davis both really nice looking bulls have you had calves from either?

Davis Shorthorns

I have had 2 JPJ's and 1 Capiche.  None were that great I can never get my cows to stick to gus, they will take to anything else, but him.  ;)  We have flushed to him though.  I have seen Gus's dam and grand dam both tremendous cows both are well over 10 I believe and still going strong.  Grand dam is one of the best cows I have ever seen.  Fischers have her.

shortyjock89

We bred an Ace of Diamonds x Dunbeacon Venture heifer to Gus, and had a flat out good bull out of her.  Calved unassisted and the calf grew very well.  We bred a 4 year old Double Vision x Trump cow to him, had an excellent heifer calf this year. She's one of our best ever so far, but she's only a month and a half so far.  We're way in on Gus, I think we're gonna flush a cow or two to him this year. The calves are very good structurally, good attitudes, good hair, and just overall very good animals. 

J

JTM

Ty, I think you have received some very good and honest information here about the bulls. Talladega is definitely closer to a bull like Gus than Capiche. Talladega may be even stouter, bigger, and thicker than Gus. My main experience is raising about 10 Gus heifers, bred them, and calved them out. I've only had one capiche calf and that was last year. Very good crossbred steer. I've heard really good things about his calving ease and yearling growth performance. The important thing is that you know what kind of cattle you want to have in a few years. It's not easy to change course once you are all in... It can be very costly.

RyanChandler

I'm using a JPJ son now so don't take it as I'm bashing that line of cattle but there are several JPJ sons that are much more complete.  Here is a video of the little guy trying to keep up.  Pay attention to his strides and how short he falls:

7SP32 JSF Capiche 46U