White Shorthorn Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

PegWood

We are new to Steer Planet and don't want to rehash strategies you have already discussed; however, we need some advice on our three white fall Shorthorn heifers - how to keep them white after they are weaned and getting ready for showing.  We've been told the following options, but we have never had any white calves and we need proven solutions:
1)  Don't ever use soap until right before show day; just rinse them, as soap will dry the hair (even EZ-All) so don't soap them; then go to Walmart and buy a blueing agent to mix with BrightLights and Stain Blaster, leave it on, rinse well, then wash with soap.
2) Try to get them in the mud so they get a good coating, as this will prevent manure from staining their skin and hair.
3) Just wash them as usual, use Bright Lights and Stain Buster.
If someone can refer me to an earlier discussion where you have stated solutions, just tell me where.  We appreciate your advice.

OH Breeder

We have had lots of white ones.
The biggest thing is keeping their pen clean. When we rinse and wash them just like the others. We do use a purple shampoo to brighten white hair. If we go to a show thenight before we soak any stained spots with the liquid Oxy Clean. It is gentle and does not hurt the skin or hair. We use deft detergent on the white ones. It is for baby diapers or baby clothes and does a good job of keep them white.
The only real way to keep them white is too keep their pen clean. We also have to keep the outdoor runs clean and dry. :-\

linnettejane

ohb hit the nail on the head....clean pen, run, clean everything....

on a side note....doc's bloodstone heifer at naile was absolutely the whitest calf i have ever seen...needed sunglasses when looking at her.... 8)...maybe he could share his secrets! 

ruhtram

When using deft detergent, can it only be used on ALL WHITE cattle? Or can you use on red and white calves? thanks

shortyjock89

linnettejane said:
ohb hit the nail on the head....clean pen, run, clean everything....

on a side note....doc's bloodstone heifer at naile was absolutely the whitest calf i have ever seen...needed sunglasses when looking at her.... 8)...maybe he could share his secrets! 

You'd probably have to ask the Brandenburg kids lol!  We've had our share of white and white roan ones, and I gotta say a clean pen, and lots of rinsing is the key. We use bright lights about once a week or less on the white ones, and we use it a couple days before the show.  If you're worried about drying the hair out, mix the bright lights with conditioner.  Also, having one completely shucked out or sheared out helps to keep them white too, but I know how hard it is to let them shuck out!

frostback

Like the others have said prevention is a good game plan I also use a lot of Kleen Sheen to help repel stuff especially the problems spots, back legs, knees, belly and the spot behind the flank. A light oil works too. Have fun, I think everyone should have to wash all white ones a few times to see that most dont get the black ones clean. I know it opened my daughters eyes.