Who made who question?

Help Support Steer Planet:

dcattle

I was wondering if wmw is a calving ease bull. I thought so so i have been breeding my heifers to him and we have had to c-section 2 of are heifers. Thanks <beer> <beer>

korytm

We bought a bred heifer that was AI'ed to who made who.She had a 110lb heifer calf that we lost due to hard labor. How much did your calves way and are both mom and baby alright?

dcattle

well the one was last year that we lost. We lost the calve later after a week and then the cow didnt breed back this year so she is no good now. and idk i dont know how big the one he we had today that was c sections. I just need to get this fiugured out so i stop losing calves and cows

CAB

IMO there is no predictability in these muli- crossed up bulls & if you use them, you are playing with fire and are going to get burnt once in awhile. It's been said time after time here to use only older proven bulls on heifers with very high accuracies if possible otherwise know that the fire can be hot!!

korytm

Completely agree with you! Always taking a gamble with them.

johnmetzger

I just jacked (easy jack) a WMH bull calf out of a Open Bar x Ali Maine Anjou small framed heifer on sunday. Heifer is 23 months old. Calf weighed in at 78 lb. Heifer was well fed as a yearling as she was shown with success. She was weaned off grain in the late fall and put on hay and good mineral for the last 5 months. She would not of had it on her own without help. I took a chance on using  WMH and won this time. 

gary89

NO he is not. Some will be small, but several around here have been 100+ over several years.

WMW11

I think he is considered calving ease compared to Heat Wave.  I have used him on a few Angus heifers and got along okay, but would not use him on clubby type heifers.  I have used a Who son called Total Solution, maybe a little better luck with him.    However, I had to pull one yesterday morning that was backwards(calf would have been okay in size if he had been coming the right direction)  and did not make it.  That seems to be my question of the day.  I seem to have more trouble with calves being backwards than calves being to big?  What causes this?

OH Breeder

dcattle said:
I was wondering if wmw is a calving ease bull. I thought so so i have been breeding my heifers to him and we have had to c-section 2 of are heifers. Thanks <beer> <beer>

Here is the thing I noticed with WMW. A friend of mine that lives in the neighborhood has always had WMW calves that were larger and growthy. They were always his larger calves and mature steers. He has a Maine based herd. I used WMW on a Get It Done daughter not thinking of line breeding. We got along okay on BW calf was about 65#'s on show heifer that was in good condition. She had him okay but he ended up being super straight on his front end and we had to ship him. I think when you get into these mulit breed bulls you are rolling the dice. I have never had an issue with purebred calving ease bulls.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I agree with OH breeder that there does  not seem to be much consistency using these clubby bulls on clubby females.. The Northern Gun bull we raised
was used at Wents and he said he would have to help more of  NG than  NI CALVES AND we had no  problems in purebreds ...