Why continue to breed TH and PHA carriers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

Okay....heres what it is! We need a government program to buy out th carrier cows. Kinda like the dairy cow buyout or the cash for clunkers. If you can show proof that the cow is a th carrier Obama will pay you 3,000$ per cow. This will modify behavior. O wait......the USA is on the verge of economic collapse. We have the worst president in 30 years and a bunch of gutless congressmen. We are loosing our triple A rating and will soon be a third world country like Ohama wants. Nevermind. ;D

Gators Rule

aj said:
Okay....heres what it is! We need a government program to buy out th carrier cows. Kinda like the dairy cow buyout or the cash for clunkers. If you can show proof that the cow is a th carrier Obama will pay you 3,000$ per cow. This will modify behavior. O wait......the USA is on the verge of economic collapse. We have the worst president in 30 years and a bunch of gutless congressmen. We are loosing our triple A rating and will soon be a third world country like Ohama wants. Nevermind. ;D

AJ, I know you were joking...BUT I have seen this administration and some of his "followers" propose crazier ideas...LOL    <rock>

SEA

I have been raising cattle for over 30 years.  Under Republican and Democratic Administrations.  Both Nationally and State.  Steer Planet is a cattle site.  Unless we have a post which is concerning an "actual", or "proposed" government rule, regulation, law, etc., I do not understand many responses and people's thinking in their posts.  Why must people constantly ruin a really good topic and post with random political idealism?  Please, get on a political blog, board, or chat room if you wish to discuss you political beliefs.  IMO, it only removes any credibility an individual may have, and the validity of the content of your previous posts, when someone simply throws out random thoughts, which are not related to the topic, based on some political premise or view.

Every US Presidential Election is determined by scant few percentiles.  We have just as many Republicans as Democrats, Conservatives as Liberals, and probably most peoples beliefs fall somewhere in the middle, and also split on many issues.  Our Country was based on FREEDOM.  It is made up of Catholics and Protestants, Jews and Atheists.  All people have there own ideas and beliefs.  They are not right or wrong, black or white.  Only a person's individual perception of what is right.

Please...Give it a rest.

vc

Now let me see, SEA just posted a comment about a post that was political and not related to the original post, stated it should be done on a different forum and then went on to explain his/her thoughts on politics.
How are you any different then the ones you are chastising?

I do not believe that ones political thoughts diminish their knowledge of cattle.

vc

Yes I did but I was not the one complaining about it, now was I.

J

JTM

I actually like the idea of a government program to buy out the TH and PHA carriers. I think it would help offset the methane taxes that are coming... (lol)

aj

Give what a rest? Free speech. I think there should be on someone on steerplanet to oversee political discusions. They could alter or delete posts. Yeah good idea sea. Signed hoyt. president of the peoples republic of Llanos township,Sherman county Kansas. Heil Hitler. ;D

aj

I have come with a proposal to send to Obama's Central planning committee.We would try and make everybody pay their fair share. There would be a 1 $ tax on all semen unit sold. 2$ a unit tax on sexed semen cause this is getting uppity when there are children starving in Africa. Th carrier semen and pha carrier semen units would be taxed 2 $ per untit and these special taxes would be put in a fund for the children of a.i. technitions who were killed or injured while on duty. However if you are a ffa or 4-h member you may file a request to get these taxes back IF your parents make less than 200,000 $ a year. If your parents make less than 100,000 a year AND you show in a cattle show you will be allowed to deduct 3 cents per mile traveled(if traveling is done in non icey conditions). This is elgible only for travel outside the state(in order to help the economy). There will be an annual property tax of semen in a jug carried over more than 18 months. |However if you make less than 50,000 these taxes will be refunded 2 years latter if the proper paper work is filled out. If you win a national show with a th carrier show you will be taxed 55% on the receipts of sale. If the calf is a non th or pha carrier you will be taxed at a 25% rate. This is to encourage showing th and pha free steers.

Limiman12

So I am the guy that did a search for th and pha read the thread most of it anyway, and had to respond because I could not help myself......

First, as evidenced by having to do a search to find out what th and pha i have not been in the "clubby" side of the beef industry for a long time.  But I did do fairly well showing calves out of our herd years ago and now have two kids, four and six years away from showing calves so I thought we would ai a handful of our good limi cross heifers and cows to something that would produce some style in a handful of cows for my kids to get club calves out of.  So yes, in some cases clubby side and commercial side do mix.

Second,  as evidenced by the fact I took the time to do a search, I try to research what I am getting into.  But as mentioned, most commercial cattlemen would likely have no idea what th and pha are.    How many of the club calf washout heifers end up Ina salebarn? At some point possibly changing hands a couple times.  While they are washouts in the club calf world, what is the odds that a commercial guy buys her for a replacement?     It would not be a stretch to assume that there are more then a few carrier cows running in commercial herds, and likewise not much of a stretch that there are some carrier bulls that get kept and sold to commercial cattlemen, or perhaps kept out of a carrier heifer that had a poppin good bull calf.   All of this can happen and does happen.

I am not saying this to bash people that breed carriers.   We have a defects called EIC and CNM in the competitive side of the labrador retriever world.   Carriers are bred routinely, though the same controversy as to wether or not to breed carriers exists there as well.  I would say though the one difference is in the world of competitive dogs a breeder may have ten females and have an enormous amount of time invested in each dog and be intimately aware of carrier status, but also make sure that if they do breed and produce carriers the buyers are aware that they have an animal that may be a carrier.  As many times as cattle can change hands, as many cows as most commercial guys have etc I doubt that when carrier heifers are sold to the final destination a fraction of the new owners are aware that they have a POTENTIAL genetic problem that needs to be managed.

With what I am doing, I would avoid using a carrier bull at all costs.  Two reason, I do not want to have to worry about it in my herd, but also, because twenty years ago when I was AIing for my own club calves I am almost certain I used some bulls that have been mentioned as possible early carriers.  Odds would be low that three generations later one of the two or three heifers we kept out of that would still put a carrier in the heard, I am not going to test every cow in the herd  just to make sure......

As for genes being linked, the way meiosis happens, Genes that may not be linked, but are close together on the chain tend to stay together in the crossing over that chromosomes do before they split to form eggs or sperm, can get more tech if desired but it is like cutting cards, the odds of cutting between two cards is low which is the basis of a lot card tricks I know.  In humans blonde hair and blue eyes go together a lot, due to the reessive genes being close together and there fore likely to be on the same chunk of DNA at cross over( and perhaps good hairdressers ;-).   ). In Labs EIC and a performance enhancing gene making dogs able to see and remember where a bird is thrown are thought to be close on the chain, becaus emany of the really good dogs, from various lines carry the recessive mutation.  Likely, the th and pha gene are close on the DNA chain to genes that make calves grow lots of muscle and lots of hair.  Nt linked, but close enough together on the chromosome that the. Odds of splitting between the two genes is low........

In closing, if you are breeding Clubbies, by all means have at it.  Breed those carriers if they throw the steers that your customers want and that win shows.   Shoot someday if one of my kids want a steer and we do not have a good one that year I would buy one.  But please please please, keep track of the heifers that may be carriers and do what you can to make sure that people know they are possibly carriers so that the mutation does not make it to the commercial side in the hands of people who don't know about it and can not feasibly manage it.

Limiman12

After reading further, I know we used a handful of Maine bulls back in the eightieS and nineties.   If one of them was a carrier, I would be surprised if we did not have pha great great great granddaughters left as we kept a lot of those heifers

kfacres

The problem is the perceived advantage of show steers in the ring- thus double, or triple carriers are desired.

At one point, I was against it, but had one good cow that was purchased before any of this was known- too much money invested in her to cull; just hope for clean daughters, and cull the dirty ones. 

Then later, had one great heifer born that I decided to keep- ended up being a carrier because as the time, her sire was listed as unknown for a defect (again semen was purchased prior to knowing about it).  Ended up in a big ordeal, as I couldn't register that heifer until her sire was blood tested for it, some new rule by the ASA.

After that, my problem now has doubled- decided heck gotta find something to mate to two carriers- may as well breed four the same way..

At this point in time, it's almost impossible to find a suitable pedigreeed bull- that's 2 way clean to use..  My search continues, and is about ready to go out of breed...

J

JTM

Cut the BS, there are plenty of good non carriers out there. I happen to own a couple of them. I think you ought to give Star Bucks a try even though he has Trump in him, I think you would like him. Now that you know that all these genetics are pretty much the same down the line a ways, you just need to pick a good one and go with it! ;)

Another self promotion  <rock>

McM93

Cut the BS said:
The problem is the perceived advantage of show steers in the ring- thus double, or triple carriers are desired.

At one point, I was against it, but had one good cow that was purchased before any of this was known- too much money invested in her to cull; just hope for clean daughters, and cull the dirty ones.  

Then later, had one great heifer born that I decided to keep- ended up being a carrier because as the time, her sire was listed as unknown for a defect (again semen was purchased prior to knowing about it).  Ended up in a big ordeal, as I couldn't register that heifer until her sire was blood tested for it, some new rule by the ASA.

After that, my problem now has doubled- decided heck gotta find something to mate to two carriers- may as well breed four the same way..

At this point in time, it's almost impossible to find a suitable pedigreeed bull- that's 2 way clean to use..  My search continues, and is about ready to go out of breed...
I feel your pain, I would love to jump out there and be "holier than thou" and sell all of my carriers to the butcher, but you forementioned situation is common. I am stepping where I shouldn't (not a shorthorn breeder), but I liked the bull WHR had that won Fort Worth. He was big footed and powerful. I assume he is clean... ;)

Being myself, those of you that think TH is something that is easy to get around if you are trying to sell or show competitive show steers need to get your head out of the sand and get in a truck and look at some cattle. By your second stop, you will be able to identify them. It is that simple. Better yet, take your "clean" cattle to the show circuit and explain to your kids why they got the gate or dead last every time. Check out the TH status of all of the clones of major show champions. Still have not seen the clean one advertised yet.

The Texas Maine Association is holding a sale somewhere down south this spring of only clean animals. I think this is positve. Pulling papers on cattle or not allowing their registration is ludicrous however. Our little gene pool will be even smaller.

I do agree with previous posters that TH and PHA should not be treated with the same earnestness to eradicate. PHA can kill cows...

I am a little weary of all of the negative if statements...If the queen had balls she would be king people. If you breed club calves, there is no uniformity, you do take discounts on the wild colored ones (if they were thicker, more sound, etc they would have been higher sellers than the black ones), you take discounts on the dinks, etc. All of those discounts are offset by that one or two head...big time. Not all clubbies are discounted. Cleaned out my pen of calves I was tired of waiting to improve and they averaged $187.50. There was not an order buyer there that did not know me or the fact that where these "illegitimate clubby cattle". They might have averaged $190.00 if they had been more uniform... (lol)

We do need to take responsibility as breeders not to sell carrier bulls to commercial breeders. There is a clubby herd every 25 miles in Texas and Oklahoma. Many of the cull cattle will make it to commercial (not the 250 head variety, but the 10 head variety) herd. Then we, the cattle industry are on the 10 o'clock news with some fool showing reporters his "alien" calf.  (lol)

Lastly, I remember the days of the stress positive pigs. Ok, you guys eradicated it. How many litters do pigs have in a year? The process will be slower in cattle...

kfacres

Very well put McM...

I think you hit the nail on the head.. PHA kills cows-- TH just kills calves...  PHA Scares the hell out of me- TH not so much...

JTM-- you show me that bull in May-0- and we'll see what I think... 

I'll tell you though- I'm going to need more cows come next summer or fall-- to be able to breed all these bulls that people promote to me to use...

J

JTM

Cut the BS said:
Very well put McM...

I think you hit the nail on the head.. PHA kills cows-- TH just kills calves...  PHA Scares the hell out of me- TH not so much...

JTM-- you show me that bull in May-0- and we'll see what I think... 

I'll tell you though- I'm going to need more cows come next summer or fall-- to be able to breed all these bulls that people promote to me to use...
LOL, sounds like a deal!

GKE Cattle

The TH and PHA issue is just an extention of the genetic defect wars that have been going on since man started to keep pedigrees on cattle or any livestock.   Unfortunatly I am a Veteran of the gentic wars!!!   TH and PHA are just the current flavors of the month so to speak.   I have to agree with AJ in his post a page back.  If you have not read "Battle of Bull Runt"  you need to.    I grew up with Angus so that is what I know, b in the 50's and 60's we has the Sunbeam cattle with Dwarfs,,in the 70's we had Sport and Tiny Tim with Mulefoot,  the 80's had GD Titian with marble bone,  recently we had the NH and AM problem, and trust me there will be something new pop its head up in the future.   We went thru it with the sheep also with the Walking Tall line that thru Spiders.  
  Everytime a new defect showed up the Witch Hunt was on!!!  The Asso. tried to cover it up or blame something like envirmental issues, but we all knew it was genetic, (refer back to the book Battle of Bull Runt).   Lucky for us we live in a time that we can do genetic test to ID carriers.  Like every other genitc defect that the industry has faced we will breed our way out of this.  Lucky for us TH and PHA are issolated to a niche market and not getting into the main stream of the commerical industry in big numbers,,,unlike the NH gene the Angus had to deal with.
 Genetic defects are out there and we HAVE to learn how to deal with them,,morality has nothing to do with it,,,,informed breeding does.  If you want to use dirty bulls or keep carrier heifers, know what you have and be Honest about it.  Use the test and breed the carriers to clean ones, or if you prefer terminate the carriers and brred only clean cattle.    AS long as Heat Waves and Monopoly are winning people will use them, so be responable breeders and mate them correctly,,we are stating to see some sons of these bulls that are genetically clean,,,it maybe a few years yet but we can get out of this mess.   KNOWLEDGE is the key,,,know what you have and how to deal with it.  Spend the $26 to do the test.