Why would anyone be a doctor?

Help Support Steer Planet:

RyanChandler

What you are over looking is that while, true, profit is always rolled back into the economy, it's not always rolled back into the economy of the United States.  Otherwise, you're position would hold true.

There's an inherent conflict of interest between whats in the best interest of private insurance stakeholders and what's in the best interest of the American people.  These insurance firms take billions out of our healthcare wallets as profits every year.  They're not on your side- they profit at your expense!

The private insurance market fails to meet the needs of the people by providing an affordable plan  w/ COMPREHENSIVE coverage.  This is classic market failure by definition.  The ACA is far from a perfect option.  What it does do though, is that it highlights the market inefficiencies privatized health insurance fails to address and it helps bring our nation one stop closer to a universal health care coverage that will provide financial risk protection and improved access to healthcare for all.

chambero

My company (a little over 500 employees) maintains very good and comprehensive health insurance that is also very expensive due to low deductibles.  Much to my surprise, it went down in price for our 2014 renewal.  That decrease wasn't due to Obamacare, but at least Obamacare didn't impact it.

knabe

Please describe market forces and how competition works.  Neither exist in the insurance business. 

Your comment that american economy profits should rumonate only in the US is pretty funny.

Conflict of interest is synonomous with competiton. Its what drives a fair price, something you seem to be against and instead want to print money to disguise it.

RyanChandler

knabe said:
Please describe market forces and how competition works. Neither exist in the insurance business

Your comment that american economy profits should rumonate only in the US is pretty funny.

Conflict of interest is synonomous with competiton. Its what drives a fair price, something you seem to be against and instead want to print money to disguise it.

You're right, the inefficiency is due to imperfect competition. The private insurance market is dominated by a small number of oligopolists.  They are the OPEC of oil. 

Your comment that we should ignore the negative externalities these coercive monopolies impose on the people is pretty funny.

knabe

I'm not ignoring anything.

I'm for monopolies that outcompete their competitors.  Its the natural progression of capitalism.  What people fail to recognize, is that legislating to the benefit of monopolies, like our legislators continually do, is actually more costly than the monopoly.  When the momopoly abuses their position, market forces will work against them. When a government supported monopoly abuses their position, the government steps in and regulates more, driving out any chance of competition. The government is coercive, not market forces. competition encourages choice.  government eliminates choice and diversity.

the video i posted was pretty funny, no matter what position one takes.