Wild Mustangs

Help Support Steer Planet:

ROAD WARRIOR

Don't get me wrong. My love for my horses is rivaled only by my love of cattle. I do a lot of work on horse back and there is nothing better than being well mounted. However sometime in the last 20 years horses have made the transition from livestock to companion animal. I blame alot of this on the people who know absolutely nothing about horses, but have a job that pays good enough money that they can go out and buy an acreage "in the country" and buy that horse "that they've always wanted". They buy a horse put it out on "the farm" and maybe go check on it on weekends if there isn't a soccer game or something more entertaining to do. And thus it becomes a pet, made only for their amusement, when it is convienient. The wild horse herd needs to be managed - period! Obviously the Government is incapable of doing it. What would be wrong with rounding them up and sorting out the good mares that should stay in the herd, take all of the stallions that are running with them and geld them and either sell them or "adopt " them out to who ever will take them. After the big sort is done, put a good stud out with them and have a yearly round up to wean the colts and cull the herd. Run it like a business. RW