Will I get warts?

Help Support Steer Planet:

blueshorthorn

My steer is developing warts. He has 4 or 5 pea-sized warts on his face and a couple on his neck. They are too small for me to take off with pliers, so I read on here to put iodine on them and they will dry up and go away.

Anyway,will I get warts from working with him? (I should have known after the ringworm fiasco we had to wear gloves but silly me didn't even think of it.)

DL

blueshorthorn said:
My steer is developing warts. He has 4 or 5 pea-sized warts on his face and a couple on his neck. They are too small for me to take off with pliers, so I read on here to put iodine on them and they will dry up and go away.

Anyway,will I get warts from working with him? (I should have known after the ringworm fiasco we had to wear gloves but silly me didn't even think of it.)

Some things that cattle get are called zoonotic ie they can also infect (affect) humans (ie ringworm although the fungus prefers cattle it will infect humans as you know) - some things that cattle get are specific to cattle (ie the wart virus - warts) - so the short answer is NO but gloves are still a good idea

bteam

Try toe nail clippers..they work really good for us.  we have also used the wart off stuff that sullivans has...if you have a little more time.

Angusboy

Well you wont get warts but i had the wart problem with my heifer so what we did is got the freeze away wart thing and cut off the wart with a razor then applied the freeze away stuff and it worked ALSO if you cut off the wart and put it in the calves feed the virus will go into their body and they willbuild an immune defense against it.