Will she make a show heifer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

TYD

She is a Northern Improvment out of a Bainridge 138M donor (New Look x Meyer 734)  which makes her 7/8 angus.  Please list any faults that you see (we have broad shoulders!)  Thanks!

Attachments

• img_0456.jpg
    img_0456.jpg
    523.2 KB · Views: 322

CPL

I guess the more important question is what level of competition will she see?

savaged

I think if you are going to show heifers, and if you plan to keep her as a cow (let me know if you are going to sell her!), then it makes all the sense in the world to show her.  You need to feed her anyway, she will be tame and halter broken, and you can show her in the BEST program if you want to go into winter.  Bottom line, you put money and time into an animal that will serve you well for a long time.

In terms of show potential, I guess I would like to see a bit more bone, but she looks like she will fill out well.  Good genetics too.

ShowmanQ

I went ahead and cropped this picture so it was easier to look at the heifer.

Attachments

• sp.jpg
    sp.jpg
    416.6 KB · Views: 172

Jill

At my house she would not make a show heifer, 7/8 Angus can't be registered so she would have to show in the commercial or AOB class and from what you can see in the picture she is not competitive in those classes.  She does appear to have the makings of a nice cow, with her breeding you can go a lot of different directions with her.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Show Heifer

Once again, I find it odd that "good cow" and "competitive show heifer" are not used in the same sentence. Kinda makes ya go hmmmmmmmmmm

Given the fact she would have to show against bovines (AOB's, and all those that have lost their registration papers)  I would say, while she is good enough to stand some competition, she isn't "steery" enough to make a show heifer. I mean really, how does "big bone" translate into anything positive in cattle? Hurts the grade and yield, calving trouble, etc, etc. I know it is valuable in the show ring, but in the real world it has nothing to do with "good cattle."  Will she make a show heifer? Sure, anything that is halter broke can be considered show heifer.  <beer> But get ready to listen to the judges say the same thing they say here: "She will make a wonderful cow but......."  or worse "She has the most potential out of all of the heifers to become a cow......"

Given the choice, I would rather have a good cow, than a "show heifer".

Since you bred this heifer in your program I would hold your head high! Very nice heifer, and lots would love to say they bred a good one!!  Keep up the solid breeding program!  (clapping)

Geno

Show Heifer said:
Once again, I find it odd that "good cow" and "competitive show heifer" are not used in the same sentence. Kinda makes ya go hmmmmmmmmmm

Given the choice, I would rather have a good cow, than a "show heifer".

Since you bred this heifer in your program I would hold your head high! Very nice heifer, and lots would love to say they bred a good one!!  Keep up the solid breeding program!  (clapping)

This first sentence is going to go on a plaque in the cow barn!