Will Star Power work on Angus heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

woltemathangus

my three star power x angus heifers have major attiude problems! just about run me over in a pen...and they are out of old show heifers, anybody else got this problem?

Diamond

is he working on Anything? or should I just throw the straws out...all I have heard or seen on this guy has been neg.

DavidSinclair

Diamond said:
is he working on Anything? or should I just throw the straws out...all I have heard or seen on this guy has been neg.

Star Power Progeny to Date include:
First calves hit the ground spring 2008
Grand Champion Foundation Female 2009 AJSA National Heifer Show
Calf Champion & Res. Grand Bull 2009 National Western
Grand Champion Simmental Female 2009 San Antonio
2009 Res. National Champion Purebred Jr. Heifer
Promotion Bulls: “See N Starz” & “Power 2 Change”
Res. Grand Champion Purebred Female 2010 AJSA National Heifer Show
Grand Champion Purebred Simmental Female 2010 American Royal
Champion Pen of 3 Heifers 2010 National Western
Top Selling bred Female 2010 Dream Girls Sale
Champion Simmental Heifer 2010 Hoosier Beef Congres
Division Champion heifer 2011 National Western
High Sellers include:
$50,000 heifer – Hartman
$40,000 heifer - Hartman
$24,000 heifer - Land of Lincoln
$20,000 heifer - Hudson Pines
$19,500 heifer - NWSS sale
$18,500 heifer – Jones
$15,000 heifer - Paulson
$12,000 heifer – Guyer
$11,000 heifer - Martin
$10,000 heifer - Aubrey
$7,500 heifer – Martin
(This isn’t a complete list of his winners & high sellers.)

Star Power is not recommended for use on heifers but if you have some Angus cows I would highly recommend using him to make ½ bloods. Our SP daughters have been great and I can’t wait until the next go when we can use some clubby bulls on them. (We used Grizz and Northern Improvement the first time around without any problems and even got a blaze face out of a ½ blood)

As far as his calves being crazy – we have not had any problems and I haven’t heard of anyone else having problems - but hey - he’s been bad mouthed in about every possible way so why not start something new.

Attachments

• BeefCongress2010small.jpg
    BeefCongress2010small.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 155
  • KC2010.jpg
    KC2010.jpg
    1,002.4 KB · Views: 168

chambero

Mr. Sinclair:

As I'm sure you well know, there are plenty of people that like and recommend him.  I bred 10 Angus cows to him this fall.  Nobody has ever told me they didn't like based on 1st hand experience.  We'll see what we get this fall.

Thanks for posting on here and providing info on your bull.

Robert Chambers
Henrietta, TX

GoWyo

We have a Star Power cow and she is a good maternal cow with a great attitude.  She is half Maine-half Simmi and milks great.  Only bad thing is she had a  3/4 Maine calf with monkey mouth last spring and I figured it had to be from the Power Plant on both sides of the calf.  Not Star Power's fault on that one.

LN

I have some first-calf star power daughters and I'm impressed with how they are maintaining their condition. I can't wait to see what they're capable of as mature cows. No problems with disposition on any of them.

Eberth

We have one that is included on that list of Davids that that the Muellers showed for us last year. She  is a full sister to the hoosier beef congress heifer pictured and we feel like we stole for the price. We believe she is going to be a great addition to our donor program and make a big splash here in the next few years, she is one of the stoutest, biggest footed, biggest boned, and SOUND females  we had ever come across. We absolutely love our Star Power female!

hntwhitetail

I had a bull calf out of a pb bon view spectrum daughter that sold very very well.  The star power son was out fastest growing calf and had a lot of "power"  was a real good 1/2 blood.  I would use him again, he moved well and had a great attitude.

husker1

As Mr. Sinclair said....on heifers, NO.

The bull probably has his place though. We had a Star Power daughter calve yesterday, and she doing great.  Really nice udder.  The heifer is the most powerful female that we've every had on the place....massive, massive bone.  She's a little coarse, but certainly looks the type to raise powerful bulls.

Diamond

if he is working in spots what would he click with? I bought 10 straws on him after his first adds came out and have yet to use a single straw.

hokiefan99

The year i used him i was pulling calves out of mature cows. Hardest calving sire group that year even against all the clubby bulls

aandtcattle

Diamond, congratulations on leaving the semen in the tank and not throwing it in your heifers the first year out like a lot of people did.  They probably would not have bred heifers to him based on pedigree alone but he was advertised as a heifer bull.  This is where I have the problem.  I do a lot of custom a.i. and tried to talk one of my clients out of using sp on heifers.  He ignored my plea and boy did he pay for it.  I am not saying the calves arent nice, as that was not the question.  The question was specifically will he work on heifers and the re-sounding reply is no. 

DavidSinclair

Thank all you for the positive comments.  Please keep me updated on how he is working for you and also, maybe more importantly, how his daughters are doing and what is working the best on them.

David Sinclair
765-719-0744 (cell / text)
[email protected]

@ aandtcattle: We used him on our own heifers. We bred five that way his second year out. (We didn’t the first year because we were done breeding our heifers before we had semen). 2 calved unassisted, 1 easy pull, 2 hard pulls and we lost one of those calves – while not a complete train wreck it was far from acceptable for a bull to be promoted as calving ease. From then on I put in all of his ads that he was not recommended for use on heifers.

My thinking at the time we bought him was that since he was a purebred (not some 3 or 5 way cross clubby bull) sired by a widely used and proven bull, he had a very low actual and adjusted BW and EPD’s to match (even though they were obviously low accuracy) I felt comfortable using him on our own heifers and advertised him the same way I saw him working in our program.  - It was a mistake.

In the future we will not promote a bull as a calving ease sire until he is proven to be such in at least 2 calf crops.