WLW Serious Business 58P

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

Anyone used this bull or know of any good calves out of him. He is a six year old bull that won the Agribition at some point. Any info appreciated.

BadgerFan

I saw him at Dakota Sires this winter.  Possibly the best Maine bull I've ever seen.  Not a club calf bull.  Sound, deep, thick, balanced.  Damn good bull.  If more would use a bull like that, and less jack fronted, straight hocked, fuzzy bulls the world would be a better place.

knabe

i found him a few years ago and asked about the bull.  if you know what you are looking for, this bull is logical.

can't believe it took so long for him to catch on down here.

no bull is the cure all.

garybob

knabe said:
i found him a few years ago and asked about the bull.  if you know what you are looking for, this bull is logical.

can't believe it took so long for him to catch on down here.

no bull is the cure all.
What?????????? < <cowboy>against O0????

The "Show" vs "Commercial" argument among cattlemen of OTHER breeds, not just Shorthorn enthusiasts? ;) ;) ;) ;)

<beer>

GB

big jim

this is one of the best maine bulls i have ever seen he so smooth  , long bodied  thick and very sound    the wilson in canada own him and there pen of bull that they sold in there spring bull sale where super good and sold very well .he also  make great females  that make great cows . i think if this bull was bred to the right kind of cubby females he would give you some great steer calves also

muleman

The lot 118 from the priory sale this year is a Serious Business x Charolais daughter. She is very good on her feet and body. I am flushing her to  Monopoly the first part of June. She looks really good for being a first calf heifer and she milks. Very Happy with her.

Telos

He's one of the prettiest bulls out there, IMO. But I still think he's a little too straight for some cows. He's basically linebred to Cunia. I don't think he is that much of an outcross for most N. American Maine cattle.  I do like the cow he's out of. JMHO.

Telos

knabe said:
Telos said:
He's basically linebred to Cunia.

he's got a little more etula in him than cunia.   i'd say he's double bred.

Not that it makes a flip, but I counted Cunia going back 20 different times in WLW Serious Business's pedigree. Knabe, I'll let you count Etula. <cowboy> If you figured the inbreeding coefficient, it probably would not sound that dramatic since most of the Cunia is 5,6 and 8 generations back. I think trying to figure the inbreeding coefficient with Novino would be interesing. I understand Dr. Beever has his students try to figure some of these as part of their lessons.

knabe

part of the way i look at pedigrees is where they are in the stack.

if one animal is in a generation twice and another is in the previous once, then they are equal in percentage.

i view any animal out of their parents linebred to them 50% each.  to me, as long as you don't exceed 50%, they are not inbred.  so, a bull like black gold is more than 50% cunia.

his sire is cunia, so 50%, his mother is 50% cunia, so he's 75% cunia.  that's why if cunia were in the same spot, he would only be equal in percentage to just using cunia himself.

if you do that, you can really focus on combining cows, something i am going to do.

so if people are getting cripples from cunia, then just eliminate the bull you are getting cripples from.  unfortunately, that bull could be black gold who is almost everywhere.

i am also going to use black gold on a line bred cow.

the best place to look at linebreeding principles is jim lent's book principles of linebreeding and study the pedigrees.  a few strategies are outlined.