Would it be worth it?

Help Support Steer Planet:

katie_k

SHorthorns are popular up here but there arnt many breeders.  Our fiar is smaller so most people raise their own steers and heifers to show and then sell to the meat house. I would want my hairfer for showing a little but also for starting my own small herd

Sassy2899

How far are you willing to travel? Oh you might also ask your county Agriculture agent if he/she knows any breeders you can buy from.

showsteerdlux

FutureBreeder said:
Shorthorn Girl said:
Would you suggest getting more than one? If so how many? and no she wouldn't be on the same program my steer is, but i didn't appreciate that jab at my project.

It didn't really sound like a jab to your project. Whats he's saying is heifers don't do so well on the same ration as steers because of the way they need to develope.

I'm also a sophomore in high school and bought a heifer with the money from my last years steer project. IMO it's a good idea to start whenever you want as long as you have a passion for it and plan on doing it for years to come.
I was referring to balanced ration problems that her and another posters calves have. But, you are correct, heifers are developed differently, in this case, reproduction soundness can become a large problem if not fed right.

LittleHeifer

Well being a SH girl myself I have to suggest SH. 1) I have worked with Angus, Charolais, Simetal(sp?), Terraintaise(sp?), Herford, and Shorthorn. The SH has been the calmest, most easily trainable Cattle I have ever worked with. 2) they have great personalities. 3) I have never met a single cow that was as excited to get in the trailer as my SH. They moo their heads off and push against the panels to get to the trailer. It is soooo funny to see and they load right up. lol. 4) They gain weight and grade out better than any cattle I have worked with. not only do they gain it better but also faster.
I don't know if you know Don Cardy from California but his SH will stand perfectly still and set up on their own without a thought. I have watched him let go of the lead and just stand by the cattle or even circle them and they just stand there not moving an inch. He is totally old school with his wood sticks with a nail through the end showsticks and he may be strict as heck but he has some of the best SH out there, they may cost a pretty penny but they are DANG hard to beat in the showring so they are well worth the money.
Jan-March Heifers work best but you can go younger if your fair breaks the classes up. We show almost the same time by about half a week.
sorry I'm rambling I'll shut up now
Little Heifer (angel)

katie_k

Little Heifer i really enjoyed your advice!  If you have any more opinions or thoughts feel free to share them. I think we think similarly so i cant wait to hear more from you

LittleHeifer

You're welcome. Some things you should do is set a budget so you know what to spend, Maybe get an FSA loan (up to $5000) I got one this year and it has worked out great, if you want more info you can text or call me @ 208-249-1752 (please no spam, not that anyone would do that I'm sure). Then decide the age and breed you want and then put an add on SP and give yourself a wide selection. HeHe I love having some one I am on the same wave length with.
btw my name is Crystal
Little Heifer (angel)

kfacres

LittleHeifer said:
You're welcome. Some things you should do is set a budget so you know what to spend, Maybe get an FSA loan (up to $5000) I got one this year and it has worked out great, if you want more info you can text or call me @ 208-249-1752 (please no spam, not that anyone would do that I'm sure). Then decide the age and breed you want and then put an add on SP and give yourself a wide selection. HeHe I love having some one I am on the same wave length with.
btw my name is Crystal
Little Heifer (angel)

I got one of those, several years ago, when I was in high school to buy a heifer, and several show lambs.. I must, say, it was almost the poorest decision I ever made.. All I have left of what I bought now, is one daughter of the heifer.. and I'm still paying on the loan.

I guess it did help establish a good credit score for me though!

LittleHeifer

Thats why when you get the loan you should have a good payment plan in place. I will be paying back my loan off steers and calves and rabbits I sell and pay on it each month out of my paycheck. I think it is a great decision if you do it right. There's not much interest and the FSA loan officers are great people to work with. It is a great way to build credit and I plan to have mine paid off early so I will have an even better score.
Little Heifer (angel)

kfacres

LittleHeifer said:
Thats why when you get the loan you should have a good payment plan in place. I will be paying back my loan off steers and calves and rabbits I sell and pay on it each month out of my paycheck. I think it is a great decision if you do it right. There's not much interest and the FSA loan officers are great people to work with. It is a great way to build credit and I plan to have mine paid off early so I will have an even better score.
Little Heifer (angel)

I got a 5 year loan.. it is due this spring.. i wanted to pay it off last year for good, but my loan officer is my brother in law.. and he wouldn't let me.. He said at 23, I need it to continue building my credit score for having it longer, and I need to have a loan, instead of being debt free.  he also told me, that if I need to, I can expand on that loan, and use it for something else, since I still have it...  If I close it, then I won't be able to re-open one at the rates, or (Age) for that matter either.  At my age now, I would have to bump up a step, and not get the 'kiddo' 4H/ FFA loan policy, that I can use this one like an operating loan, atleast until I think I am 25?? not sure would have to check on that. 

So ya, there is a reason I have not paid it off, just saying...  It's all in the plan!

My wife is also a current FSA loan adviser in training.so I'd say I have a pretty good clue what's going on with a loan, b/w her and her brother! (clapping).  Just a little FYI for you showheifer!

LittleHeifer

I have two loans actually. 1 is a 1500 for steers and one is 3500 for heifers. the 1500 is an annual loan and the 3500 is a 7 year loan. If you can expand on it and build credit great. The way mine is set up is my score would be better if I can pay it off sooner. So I guess we agree its in the plan how it works and how it was set up.
After I finish this loan I plan to either get one for college or one to get a building,cages,and equiptment just for my rabbits
Little Heifer

hmiller361

Investing in a heifer that can breed and throw show quality heifers or a feeder calf is totally worth it, if you think about it you can take you money and double it pretty quick if you stay on top of her breeding season. It was what paid for my first car!

ruhtram

I would look into getting some cow/heifers. Its a really good way to buy for school like others have said. It really helps teach responsibility in youth with really rewarding results. Seems like the time is now! You have time right now and if its ment to be things will work when you go off to college. Good luck!

kfacres

LittleHeifer said:
I have two loans actually. 1 is a 1500 for steers and one is 3500 for heifers. the 1500 is an annual loan and the 3500 is a 7 year loan. If you can expand on it and build credit great. The way mine is set up is my score would be better if I can pay it off sooner. So I guess we agree its in the plan how it works and how it was set up.
After I finish this loan I plan to either get one for college or one to get a building,cages,and equiptment just for my rabbits
Little Heifer

I have never heard of this.. the loans we speak of are $5000 max.. whatever you want to spend it on, as long as the loan rep OK's it. 

You cannont get a FSA young farmers' loan to pay for college though.. not directly pay for college.. You can say it paid for something else, and use the money to pay for college.. but you still have to pay for that something else with non-loaned money...  so really you gained no ground. 

to the original shorthorn girl... buy a bred heifer, or cow.. only way to ensure you 'might' make your money back on her in a timely manor.  You have to realize if you buy some clubby deal, and she's accidentally bred to HW, and it kills her and her calf.. you are SOL:  Unless you have life insurance on her..  Our cattle policy runs 6.5% ( I think off top of my head)

SSIMMENTALS

You could find out the top age for heifers at your fair and then possibly purchase a bred this spring that you would be able to show(Probably a Fall 09), she would already be a jump ahead on her development and thus cheaper for you to maintain, she would probably calve this fall giving you a heifer/steer to sell/show next year. Breds are often really easy keeping and you wouldn't have the ordeal of developing a yearling or heifer calf. If you do your homework, you will likely  put less money in initially as sometimes a good, honest bred can be a sleeper in a sale focused on show heifers and you will have a return on your investment much more qui ckly.You will want to make sure it is bred to a calving ease bull. Before you buy anything, you need to have a plan of where you will keep it, what you will feed it, who will be there when it calves, and how you plan to maintain it once it is finished showing(pasture?). If they are purchased at a reasonable price and managed correctly, a group of (or one head) of cattle will add to your pocket book, but if you are just starting out and jump in too deep with prices or don't properly manage them, they can drag you down quickly.

LittleHeifer

What they did was just broke the $5000 loan into two thus the  $1500 and $3500, they come to $5000. I didn't plan on using it for college. I plan on either getting a college loan through a college loan place or a rabbit equiptment loan through the FSA.
SHG if you can get a bred heifer go for it.
Little Heifer (angel)

shoreacres

I got a 5 year loan.. it is due this spring.. i wanted to pay it off last year for good, but my loan officer is my brother in law.. and he wouldn't let me.. He said at 23, I need it to continue building my credit score for having it longer, and I need to have a loan, instead of being debt free.  he also told me, that if I need to, I can expand on that loan, and use it for something else, since I still have it...  If I close it, then I won't be able to re-open one at the rates, or (Age) for that matter either.  At my age now, I would have to bump up a step, and not get the 'kiddo' 4H/ FFA loan policy, that I can use this one like an operating loan, atleast until I think I am 25?? not sure would have to check on that.  

So ya, there is a reason I have not paid it off, just saying...  It's all in the plan!

My wife is also a current FSA loan adviser in training.so I'd say I have a pretty good clue what's going on with a loan, b/w her and her brother! (clapping).  Just a little FYI for you showheifer!
[/quote]

Your brother-in-law should not give out such advice.  If you are 23 and pay off your loan early you are better off.  All he is doing is increasing your costs by adding interest.  You should always do what you want to do not what the banker allows you to do.  Remember our country is in real trouble because of the advice and products our lenders were promoting.

farmin female

Young lady, any time you invest your money in an asset that has the ability to produce income for you, it is a good thing.  Every investment has its risks though as others have pointed out.  But, you can buy a heifer or two and start out on your own.  This makes you a self employed business person and you will learn much from the experience.  Don't be swayed by the idea of selling top notch show cattle and earning the big bucks right off the bat.  Be realistic and honest with yourself cause this is your money, your animal, your investment and your life experience.  Enjoy.