Wow! Livestock shows sure vary by location

Help Support Steer Planet:

Geno

I am really amazed at how different the local fairs and livestock shows here differ from what I have found on the web.  Smiling Bob is a great example, although extreme, but more common than I thought. So many cattle have so much more hair in the shows in other regions. If I can figure out how to post a picture, I'll post a picture of feeder steer my son just brought to a 4H, FFA, show.  It was a small local show, and he did all the work himself. He brought three, a market steer, a feeder, and a heifer, all out of our own commercial cow herd.

Are the 4H cattle generally fitted differently than the jackpot or livestock shows in different areas of the Country?

This is all very new to me. Growing up we had a small custom kill plant, and raised cattle, but my dad never encouraged me to show, I think because he always floored the cattle at all the local fairs.

Anything is appreciated.

Thanks.

The Show

Cattle in the northern region have more hair bc of the weather.

Are you asking why do so many cattle look similar to Smilin Bob and so many don't? That's the way I interpreted it. The more hair cattle have the better! Fitting uses the same basic concept everywhere. Whether they are 4H or FFA, or jackpot shows, county fairs, or majors. Everybody has their own technique and "style" so to speak. Does this help any???

BCCC

its the regions, everywhere is like that. Some people work hard to get the hair and get the calves to look their best, others don't care like you said and throw them in a lot and hope they lead.

Geno

I don't think it is quality of the calf, but quality of the coat and amount of time put into it that amaze me. We are fairly northern, but some of the pictures I have been seeing from the Midwest, Texas, Louisiana etc., well, the hair, it's amazing.

We have a few commercial angus cows, and we buy good angus bulls. My son had his first two steers last year, and they both graded USDA prime, they didn't win anything special at the shows, but he did respectably, but they didn't have the hair. Up here, kids will pull them out of lot, wash them off and hope they lead. A few walk and rinse their calves, and some beyond that, but really, it just isn't the whole "Big League" feel one gets looking at these cattle. My son does walk, rinse, wash, brush, and feed a good ration plus supplements.

Does that make sense? It's just a completely different world outside of little old Walla Walla.

I think it's funny to see guys running around with crew cuts and bibs that know more about hair care products than many women  .

I'm not trying to take away from anyone or any region, it is just vastly different.

Geno

Ok,

Since I can't figure out any other way to do this, here are three pictures of his calves at the last show.  The first was his market steer, nothing special and a really bad picture.  He had a much bigger butt than this picture shows.  The heifer is one of our x-bred angus cattle, and so is the Feeder steer.  These are out of our commercial cows, and Kessler Angus Bulls. Nothing exceptional, our son just doesn't want to show cattle that we do not raise ourselves. 

Attachments

• fwmiltonfreewaterjuniorshow2010.zip
    200.1 KB · Views: 135

The Show

Geno said:
I don't think it is quality of the calf, but quality of the coat and amount of time put into it that amaze me. We are fairly northern, but some of the pictures I have been seeing from the Midwest, Texas, Louisiana etc., well, the hair, it's amazing.

We have a few commercial angus cows, and we buy good angus bulls. My son had his first two steers last year, and they both graded USDA prime, they didn't win anything special at the shows, but he did respectably, but they didn't have the hair. Up here, kids will pull them out of lot, wash them off and hope they lead. A few walk and rinse their calves, and some beyond that, but really, it just isn't the whole "Big League" feel one gets looking at these cattle. My son does walk, rinse, wash, brush, and feed a good ration plus supplements.

Does that make sense? It's just a completely different world outside of little old Walla Walla.

I think it's funny to see guys running around with crew cuts and bibs that know more about hair care products than many women   .

I'm not trying to take away from anyone or any region, it is just vastly different.
If you live in Tx or anywhere else in the southwest you have to bust you butt to grow hair. Right now we rinse once a day. In another month(maybe less) we'll go to rinsing 14 times a week, and when we start seeing triple digit heat we go to 21 times a week. It's hard work and dedication. Definitely not the region.

I know how you feel about the "big league" deal. When I started 8 years ago I felt the same way, but I met the right people and now(I'm not trying to sound conceded) I run with the "big league" guys. It takes a lot of work, but you can make it happen.

Haha I could tell you every hair care product available from Wal-Mart and Sally's Beauty Supply  (lol)

I don't think it's different by region like, texas is good, arkansas is bad, and oklahoma is okay. I think it just depends on the person. Maybe in your area no one really cares showing that seriously. In my area I'm one of the most serious about showing and I can name about 5-10 people who are right there with me.