Xerox and Shiver

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Xerox, Shiver, Jazz, and Jigsaw? Is shiver calving ease? Thanks alot!

REM

I can only speak about Jazz and Shiver. I like my Jazz calves they come moderate for me 80 to 90 lbs. The only thing is they are later maturing the bone and hair come on late. I used Shiver on a variety, cows and 1st calf heifers. I believe he will be calving ease but will reserve judgement till  spring.

wyatt

did you have good luck with shiver im thinkin of useing him on my heifer

LUKE

wyatt said:
did you have good luck with shiver im thinkin of useing him on my heifer

We bred him to one heifer to shiver and good luck. She came small and grew good.

Chap

have a couple Shivers this year.  came small and are really taking off.  Good Cattle.  doesn't appear to make them shaggy haired, but his pedigree would suggest that as well.  good solid cattle.  will retain the females and probably save the bulls. i would use him cautiously on heifers without bw issues behind them.  ours came in the 70-75 lb range on mature cows.
Jigsaw cattle a little later maturing but i like them well enough.  saved a bull and heifer .  bull on test out of Draft Pick cow did a 4.32 ADG, 15.7 REA, 45cm scrotal and semen checked excellent at 12 months. 

Mueller Show Cattle

They are using Shiver on heifers around here, they come out small and have good growth. I am not a big fan of the calfs at birth but they do grow well. The plus if it matters to you is that he is listed as homo black.  I think you would be fine using Shiver on your heifers unless the heifers have large birth weights in them, IE Heatwave bloodline. The are using him on maine/angus heifers without any problems.

PAshowman

I just had a Shiver out of a heatwave1 heifer. it was a heifer calf. really stout hipped. appeared to be the real deal. unfortuneatly she came breech and weighed 115 lb. calf didnt make it. i blame most of the problems out of the heatwave. I m not knocking shiver just giving a lil heads up on breeding him to heatwave because i don t think he s the answer to heatwaves.

Garrett

I had a shiver calf last year out of a first time heifer. calf came out around 65 lbs and ive had friends use him and have the same success with calving ease. Used Jazz a couple years ago and had 2 real nice heifers i sold that went on to do good for their owners. they came sround 82-85 lbs

wyatt

the heifer im using him on is a stricktly buisness son and pb angus i believe weighed 75 lbs or 80 at birth