Yeah, another thread ... Proud Parents

Help Support Steer Planet:

coachmac

We have went to quite a few shows this year and had some success.  I have a feeling that we have missed a few purples due to getting outshowed, but with a 9 year old..... you sort of expect that.  Nevertheless, frustration is not uncommon with myself or my daughter.  A few weeks ago we went to a little one day show and she won Jr. showmanship.  She was pumped and we were too!  Before we went to IA we had our county fair.  Her heifer was doing really well and had been gaining well since regionals in springfield where she was sixth overall.  It was fun to see her bloom!  We pulled into our fair with high hopes needless to say!  The day of the show everything seemed to work.  Showmanship was first and it would be HOURS before we went in for the breed show, so I did a no glue "fit" for showmanship.  I have to say that many of the "concoctions" for hair that I have picked up on Steerplanet worked like a charm.  The judge talked to the kids and seemed very comfortable talking to them.  He was treating them like showmen/women and not like little kids.  For our daughter, that was a plus!  When he was giving his reasons for picking the winner he said the young lady won because of her knowledge of the the industry and her breed.  *not my kid* is what went through my head.  My daughter is Captain Random when she talks and it is hard to keep up at times!  Cracks us up, but in this situation...... not the place for randomness.  He announced her as the winner and my wife about climbed the fence.  I was relieved, but knew the breed show was starting shortly and I had to get back to the chute and start fitting my sons heifer.  He was in the same showmanship class and easily took one of the bottom three spots... out of 15!  He was MAD, but not at his heifer.  The lil boy's heifer behind him just kept ramming her nose up my sons heifer's posterior and she took obvious offense too it.  He is our ultra competitor!  Hates to lose at anything and this was not good for his MOJO.    ( to be cont )

coachmac

Off to fit for the simmie show.  The family we purchased her from came down to watch and ended up helping me fit a little bit.  the heifers hair was working great (considering the heat and humidity).  She was looking pretty good.  During the simmie show Bailey had to go up against our neice's Dream On heifer in class.  She is a tough rip and my neice is a great showman.  This was her first year as a Sr and she has been doing this for a while.  She is good!  It took a while for him to pick the class winner and he went with my daughter.  It took a while for him to decide so I imagine it was a tuff decision.  She went in for the overall simmental and won grand with my neice coming back in and taking reserve!  We had to go back in for Supreme.  That, I had to remind my daughter! She was flittin around like a butterfly not realizing she wasnt done. Just a handful minutes passed and she was back in the ring.  There were some good females in there and it took a few minutes for the judge,  Dr. Scott L. Schaake, to give my daughter the handshake!  What a show, but again, not done!  They were choosing Best of Show so we had to go up against the Supreme bull.  He was nice and also happened to be a simmental.  After a quick glance and a few words, the judge gave Bailey another handshake and a Belt Buckle.  She was dancing with the clouds!!!  We then found out the Fair Board had asked for donations from local business's and producers and it turns out Bailey is getting a, larger than avg., premium check!  She is so excited about the prospects of looking for another heifer for next year!  I have no idea if any of the people that pitched in for the Best of Show frequent SP, but if so... Thank You!  I hope that the fair board keeps the Best of Show for future shows!  It is really a blessing!  

LostFarmer

As a father of a 14 yo and 8 yo daughter the captain random comment was way too close to home.  (lol)

Congrats nothing like a little success to excite the masses.  LF

coachmac

SlickTxMaine said:
Congrats!!!   (clapping)   Pictures??

Thanks to all !!  I am trying to figure out this picture thing and IF I can get it whipped.... I would love to post some! 

LittleHeifer

(clapping)Congrats. I know what a win can do for a showman. I just hope I do ok at fair. congrats again and good luck for the future.

coachmac

Thank you LH.  I am sure you will do great.  Just have Fun, learn as much as you can, and .... did I mention have fun? 

RSC

Congrats, not much more fun than seeing the kids succeed.    (clapping) (thumbsup) <party>

Tony

Telos

A like that phrase, "dancing with the clouds". Never heard it before but I know that feeling. Congrats!

coachmac

Yeah, it is a good feeling!  We are gonna try to emulate that feeling this week as well!  Gonna be a tad bit tougher though!  ;)