YG system flawed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mill Iron A

Not to get too much in the way of you too but there are several feedlots that I've been to that feed holsteins just to hit C.A.B. I know what the requirements are but when you have a fantastic marketing machine it tends to be hungry and will consume anything if it get's short of product.  In fact color all by itself is completely irrelevant because I have had several charolais cattle go C.A.B. and have a good friend who was extremely angry when his 200 head pen of reg. hereford throwbacks went C.A.B.

countyagent

sheps & shorthorns said:
sure, I'll continue onward...

Since there is a distinct corelation between the brahma influenced cattle, marbling, and tenderness-- why would you suppose that they place the restrictions to keep eared cattle out, with the hump charactoristic-- if they likely wouldn't qualify anyways?  Obviously, there are cattle slipping into the CAB that have that influence- so do you suppose they get pushed aside based of Quality grade.?

Now, on to the next question.. I hear that apx. 40% of the nations beef supply is actual dairy influence?  Any rebutal?

What about the fact that around 95% of all Holstein steers grade choice or better, and 90% of them hit prime.. whereas only about 45% of "angus", or should I say black hided, hit choice?  Thoughts from the king of SP meat knowledge?

What's your thoughts on the Brahma breed incorperating something like the shorthorn and angus have tried, or done in the instance of genetic focus towards internal carcass traits?  Dont' you suppose the brahma breeders should be able to change the problems that their breed has been known for?

Don't worry about you Tesan attitude, it's perfectly normal... and don't worry, the crazy freak that I attended college with, was one in her own, and truly unique...  Funny, you talk about the good and bad apples... All's I can say, is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

I'm sure the ignorant/ stupid trait quote gets mixed up more times than Texans are proud in a day... I think it greatly depends on which dictionary you look the definition up in.. I know one thing, our dictionaries here in the midwest, and nearly as perfect, or big for that matter as the texas ones...

btw, my job with the USDA, involves very little spell check, and I come naturally into being a poor speller, who gets worse as the quicker I move.. I think it's genetic though- dad's side of course.. mom was an over acheiver..

(pop)

I dont fully understand your first question.  I think what you are wanting my thoughts on cattle that get into the CAB program, more specifically Brahman influenced cattle...hopefully Im assuming right.  The reason that CAB selects against Brahman influenced cattle is because, as I illustrated earlier, their meat quality is inferior not only from a tenderness perspective but, also a marbling aspect.  One of the guidelines listed is that cattle have to grade in the upper 2/3 of Choice or higher.  In my mind, CAB would have the hump restriction in to restrict the "outlier" Brahman influenced cattle that might possibly hit that upper 2/3 as well as the other qualifications.  These "outlier" cattle might receive a high enough marbling score to qualify but, they still have the tenderness issue.  The hump height restriction helps negate that possibility. 

If there is indeed 40% of the US beef supply coming from dairy cattle thats great...Im sure that most of that would be either in the form of veal or, cull cows that are put into ground beef.  I'd like to see where you got that number from.  That's an interesting stat.

There is no question that dairy cattle generally marble incredibly well, I wont dispute that.  The biggest issue with dairy cattle being utilized for beef production is the amount of meat on that animal.  Im not saying that Holstein or any dairy breed is worthless as a beef breed but, read this article and decide for yourself.  http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/A3659.pdf To summarize it states that Holsteins can be used for beef production but there are several challenges to account for.

Your next point is one that I have argued, from your side, before with several purebred Brahman friends/breeders.  While I am not a huge fan of EPDs I definitely feel that they are a valuable tool if used properly.  I would love to see the Brahman breed attempt to utilize their EPDs to try and improve their carcass traits.  Personally, Id like to see the cattle more moderate in their frame size too but, thats a different topic.  However, the Brahman breed is very unique in that there is a tremendous demand for those cattle in other countries, particularly South America.  The producers in South America will spend ENORMOUS amounts of money on quality seedstock Brahman genetics, just look up sale records.  What the Brahman breeders particularly, Hudgins and V8 the 2 giants of the Brahman world, have done incredibly well is select for cattle that their CUSTOMERS want.  They may not be their favorite kind of cattle but, when a guy from Colombia is offering 6 figures for a bull and $25,000 for 10 heifers you tend to perk up just a bit.  Because the 2 "giants" of the Brahman world are selling cattle that their South American customers want those type cattle also begin to be propogated in the other Brahman herds.  I guess my main point is that until there becomes a financial reason for Brahman breeders to start breeding their cattle to have improved carcass quality traits dont expect it to happen.  They have a good thing going the way that it is.