Yield %

Help Support Steer Planet:

willow

I know if anyone can give me a straight answer it is the crew on SP.  I have a question about carcass yield. 
We recently butchered a 1200 lb steer not overly fat, not huge boned, just your good, fat, run of the mill steer.  He weighed 746 hanging, so a good 62% yield at that stage. 
My question is what should your average take home/finished product be in either lbs or a percentage? 
I know this will depend on the cut instructions as far as how much boning is done and what is ground into burger, etc.  I have heard anywhere from 55% to 80% of that hanging weight and I have a hard time believing that 55%, that would make take home on this particular steer right at 410lbs.  Shed some light for me people!

GoWyo

Somewhere around 45-50% of total weight of animal will be packaged cuts.  Maybe 40% if all boneless cuts.  I would figure a 750 lb. carcass will have 150-180 lbs of bone and trim, so should have 570-600 lbs of meat in the freezer.

Aussie

Firstly much is to do with trim and cuts.Their are many on here that sell locker beef that can give a better answer but for what it is worth from someone a long way away. Actual meat yield would be on a British breed steer low 50 %

firesweepranch

I found this on a web site. We just picked up our steer, and I do not know his live weight but his hanging weight was 666 pounds. I figure he was about 1100 pounds (he was little). Hope this helps answer your question...

Beef Carcass Breakdown
With an average market (live or on hoof) weight of 1,150 lbs and the average yield of 62.2%, the typical steer will produce a 715 lb. (dressed weight) carcass.

The dressed beef (or carcass) will yield approximately 569 lbs. (further details below) of red meat and trim (take home meat - which includes the average weight of 27 lbs of variety meat: liver, heart, tongue, tripe, sweetbreads and brains) and 146 lbs of fat, bone and loss.  This is roughly a yield of 80% from the dressed or hanging weight - this is for a VERY LEAN Beef.  A High Quality, USDA Choice Beef will yield approximately 70% of the Hanging or Dressed Weight.  The yield on the take home meat weight from the live weight of the (VERY LEAN) steer is approximately 50%.

This is the web site:
http://www.askthemeatman.com/yield_on_beef_carcass.htm

willow

Firesweep...I also read that and it sounds great I just am not sure what to believe. 

rocknmranch

Figure about 450 lbs. take home. That's average size beef, and getting about 100 lbs. per quarter. Once you start doing all bone out, you lose weight considerably. We have a butcher shop, raise our own beef for consumers and restaurants. We also process for others who raise their own animals.

willow

Thank you all for your input.  It sounds like there are a lot of variables.  Rocknmranch, what is the best way to know that you are getting your whole beef back from the processor?  What can I do to become more involved and not be a pain in the a**?

firesweepranch

OK, just got my hands on a "Processing Percentage Chart" brought home by my husband when he picked up our beef from the locker. According to it, the frontquarter should yield  69% cuts and 31% bone, fat and trimmings and the hindquarter should yield 68% cuts and 32% bone, fat and trimmings. But it can vary depending on if it was choice, good, or standard carcass. Not sure if that helps you, but I think it gives more information. I would think you are missing some meat, seems a bit low. Are you sure you did not forget to get a bag/box? Last year when we picked up our beef they forgot to give us our hamburger patties, and we had to go back and pick them up! That was another 50 pounds of meat! Luckily we called and asked about the patties, since we ordered some but never got them.

willow

Firesweepranch, at the risk of sounding stupid i will assume that percentage is of the hanging weight?  Unfortunately when I called to inquire about the seemingly low take home% they basically told me it is what it is and there was nothing that had been forgotten.  They may be right my gut just tells me they aren't.  Live and Learn!

rocknmranch

willow said:
Thank you all for your input.  It sounds like there are a lot of variables.  Rocknmranch, what is the best way to know that you are getting your whole beef back from the processor?  What can I do to become more involved and not be a pain in the a**?

I personally think going with the processors who don't sell retail, and only do for the actual growers is the best way to ensure that your getting all. Only a retail store front would benefit from skimming.

Secondly, make sure to know your weights. Ask for weights once at the butcher, ask for weights after hung. Ask for all the scraps, if you so desired to have to total weight accounted for.

jbzdad

we sell some calves on the rail... and we also have meat processed for ourselves... I tell people about 2/3 to the rail and about 2/3 that to take home... figures about 44% live weight to take home here at Ellinwood packing... they have been pretty consistent with that

one thing... don't discard the tongue until you try it... fixed right it is pretty good and makes a great sandwich

firesweepranch

willow said:
Firesweepranch, at the risk of sounding stupid i will assume that percentage is of the hanging weight?  Unfortunately when I called to inquire about the seemingly low take home% they basically told me it is what it is and there was nothing that had been forgotten.  They may be right my gut just tells me they aren't.  Live and Learn!
Not stupid  ;) But, yes that is the percentage of hanging weight. If you think you got shorted, try another processor. We tried a few, and finally found one we really like! This is our second year using this one...