100% Dehorning Shorthorn Bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

Guess I am going to open the proverbial can of worms again. While I agree that there are some cattle that can be referred to as " real world " cattle, and some others that are referrred to as " show ring" cattle, I tend to think that there are many in the Shorthorn breed, or any breed for that matter, that can do a good job in both worlds. This is probably even more true in Canada, but I honestly believe there are show cattle in the US that have pretty realistic lives in the real world after the halter comes off for the last time. There are of course, environmental conditions in some areas that demand a specific type of cattle, and this goes for any breed of cattle. If you want cows that will literally fend for themselves for most of the year, or survive in tough environmental conditions, or survive with little management, then you better be pretty selective on what type of cows you are going to own... and that goes for any breed... in any area of the planet. This is not a breed issue, it is a management issue.

In my operation, my cows must live on grass and on hay for almost all of their nutrition. I do not grain farm so every pound of grain that goes into a cow has to be purchased. I raise grass and I have cows to harvest it and turn it into dollars. Have I fed additional supplemental grain or other feeds on occasion? The answer is yes, and there have been times when it made economical sense to feed a couple pounds of grain to stretch out your hay. If I had to choose to have hay custom hauled or grain custom hauled, I expect most times it is most economical to haul some grain. Beef cows can make good use of poorer grain, such as damp, frozen or light barley or oats. I have made good rations from some very different products. A few weeks ago, I mentioned in another thread about how we mixed chopped straw, sunflower screenings and stillage from a local distillery to make a silage product that had very high protein and pretty reasonable energy levels. It took some work, but it did allow us to get out cowherd of over 300 cows through a severe drought, and it cost us less than 1/2 what hay would have cost. That is one of the good things that cattle can do. They are quite adaptable to various feed stuffs. I have a neighbour who feeds grain dust which he gets free from a local grain terminal. It literally looks like dirt, and he gets it hauled to his farm at no cost. His cows love it, and they are usually in better condition than most other herds in the community.

It is up to each person to select the type of cattle that work in their environment, and their management. If some of the cattle that have show careers will not work in your operation, that really is not a negative comment about them. These cattle may work just fine in many other operations around the country. Your " real world" can be very different from someone else's " real world". Unfortunately, no show ring can select cattle that will work everywhere, but I am sure there are some show winners who are more adaptable than they are given credit for.

I have heard this argument for decades that there is virtually no connection between the " show ring " and the " real world". Every year, I look through hundreds of bull sale catalogs from all breeds. Many of these have some of the best commercial and rancher customers in the industry. I always find it interesting how many sons and grandsons of some major show winners and National champions are in these commercially based sales. If there is no connection between the show ring and the real world, why would this be the case?

I think that most of us who raise cattle for our livlihoods, would like to see a closer connection between the show ring and the real world. It is simply impossible for the show ring to meet the needs of every situation in the real world. That said, I do feel that the statement that there is no connection between the show ring and the real world in not correct. The amount of connection there is, may vary from your herd to mine, but there is still some connection there.

aj

I stand corrected as always. Originally ruminant livestock were used to convert low quality roughages into food protein or milk. Now they are used to be shown. Not sure its good or bad or right or wrong I see it as the way it is. If you get three generations deep in show cattle there is a backslide of natural selection. As always corrected.

sue

Capiche was raised on creep feed and if I am not mistaken the majority thinks  this young bull is ok ??? JIT,  Canadians  can raise both show and commerical Shorthorn cattle  but in my opionion  need US herd sires to win in the shows......... if i am looking at 09 Agribition results correctly it looks like US genetics rocked???!!! I have my own feeling about production and feel like most of my customers do too
. If you build it they will come.....

Doc

sue said:
Capiche was raised on creep feed ( who cares,the majority doesn't )  and if I am not mistaken the majority thinks  this young bull is ok (he's not bad, I'm trying him a little) ??? JIT,  Canadians  can raise both show and commerical Shorthorn cattle  but in my opionion  need US herd sires to win in the shows ( on some I think it styles them up some, but it's almost like crossing different breeds of cattle & the performance you get)......... if i am looking at 09 Agribition results correctly it looks like US genetics rocked???!!! I have my own feeling about production and feel like most of my customers do too
. If you build it they will come.....( to each their own. thats why different breeds & different types works for different people & different enviroments).

aj

I agree knabe. With 3 generations of non-show selection you have a back slide of artificial selection traits.

aj

Looks like to me capiche has some potential. Defect free,easier keeping,lower bwt, polled, and moderate framed. I would think he could do most cows some good. I assume him being th free is a problem?

kccowman

Let's get back on the subjuct. How many know 100% dehorner's  have you all had experence with. I have use Massive no horns yet. Calves are all pretty solid no real barn burns but more important no real duds either. Seens to work will on most of my cows. What about major leroy get many horns.

justintime

Major Leroy is polling about 80-85 % in my herd. Seems to vary year to year, but he is certainly not homozygous polled. In 2008 I only had 2 horned calves from Leroy  and in 2009 I had 7 with horns. If the cow is deeply polled, I have not had any horns from Leroy. It seems that the horned calves I am getting are coming from females that have horned genetics close up in the pedigree.

I have had several 100% dehorning bulls over the years. Saskvalley Pioneer 126P, the 2006 Canadian national Champion bull has proved to be homozygous polled. Ready Go, a bull from the 70s and still being used, was homozygous polled. Mandalong Super Flag, the Aussie import, is a 100% dehorner. Shadybrook Optimum 75F, who is a Semex sire and a great bull to use on heifers, is also a 100% dehorner. It appears that HC Timeline 17T is homozygous polled as well. I will add to this list when I have a little more time.

oakview

Trump, 3W Payoff, and Spiro were 100% dehorners to the best of my knowledge.

coyote

Muridale Buster 14K is homozygous polled and for you AJ he never won a show. ;)
Muridale Buster 2nd 76P hasn't left a horned calf yet either.

aj

The old Ready Go bull was homo and the Shorthorn Payoff bull also. I think the irish cattle got us back to a horned status. Also the double stuff genetics were horned. I think jpj is probably heterozygous polled.

Doc

For me personally I like a shot of horn in there some , so the bulls don't end up picking up cockleburrs in their sheath. Nothing wrong if using on a lot of horned breeding , just if you get too much polled breeding I think you will have too much sheath for the most part.

Dooling1

I can promise you ArSuLu Legacy 65 and CF Tiger are both homozygus polled. We own them both and never had a horned calf.

kccowman said:
I know I have seen the list before but I can't seen to locate it now. Anyone know where you can get the list? Thanks

Doc

Dooling1 said:
I can promise you ArSuLu Legacy 65 and CF Tiger are both homozygus polled. We own them both and never had a horned calf.

kccowman said:
I know I have seen the list before but I can't seen to locate it now. Anyone know where you can get the list? Thanks

I had to break the news to you Stu, but there is 2 horned calves registered to CF Tiger.

aj

Doc made a great point. I don't hear it so much now but I know 20 years ago alot of people thought horned cattle were just better cattle. This makes sense, since you had less choices of quality when in pursuit of polled bloodlines.I knew Polled Herford and Herford breeders that would almost come to blows over the differences in their breeds. Now they are in one herdbook which I thought I'd never see.

knabe

Doc said:
For me personally I like a shot of horn in there some , so the bulls don't end up picking up cockleburrs in their sheath. Nothing wrong if using on a lot of horned breeding , just if you get too much polled breeding I think you will have too much sheath for the most part.

one of my professors at cal poly always believed that the polled gene was linked to relaxed prepuce.

Doc

knabe said:
Doc said:

one of my professors at cal poly always believed that the polled gene was linked to relaxed prepuce.

He's not the only professor. That's where I was headed with that statement.