126 pounder!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Well, I just had my next to last calf born. He weighed in at a whopping 126 pounds. The best thing he was unasissted. She had him over night & he was all cleaned up & nursing. We are going to steer needless to say!

What's been your biggest calf? We had one years ago that topped the scale at 150 pounds. DL this was out of our old friend Burner! Maybe you should chuck that semen!

Red

ps- for all the woody lovers. He is very upset w/ mom. I have him outside on a chain. Can see him from the window. mom & Killer Kitty needed some alone time.

Bawndoh

Red you make me giggle every time.  No other place on the internet can you talk about cows, cats, and dogs without someone thinkin ur weird!!  You are going to get a glare and the cold shoulder from Woody when he comes in the house!!  (lol). 
In the 90's we experimented with Limo bulls (they were the latest fad), and that was a mistake!!  We had 12-15 c-sections out of 60 or 80 cows, and many that were 120-150 lbs and dead by the time they got out!  What a profitable year ::)
My pop also  used to breed shorthorns and maines back in the 70's and 140lb calves were common!  Yesh...I had an RA calf at mom and dads the other day, she still had a dried crusty umbilical peice on her navel so she had to be a couple days old.  There was NO way any coyote would get her.  I had to haul her and her mama somewhere so I put the baby in the very front part of the trailer by herself.  I thought she was going to charge me when I opened the escape door!  Her mama taught her good not to trust strangers..haha.

Jill

The biggest calf we have had was 120lb, she was out of an AmerifaxXChiX Maine cow and she pumped out a big calf for 10 straight years she had our biggest calf, when feed cost started going up she went to town, she could eat twice as much hay as any other cow we owned.

GLZ

We had one come in at 132 once.  The hardest pull of my life.  Calf survived, but heifer freaked and didn't want anything to do with him.

There is something really weird about putting a calf that big on the hanging scale.  You do this strange double take looking at the scale.  Then you look down at the calf to determine nothing else is hanging on him, like a 30 pound dumbell or something.  Then you kind of go "whoa"

Dusty

Wasn't HW supposedly 132lbs or something like that???
I think a lot of 100+ bulls get marketed as- "born unassisted in the pasture" "estimated 90-95BW",

red

Dusty said:
Wasn't HW supposedly 132lbs or something like that???
I think a lot of 100+ bulls get marketed as- "born unassisted in the pasture" "estimated 90-95BW",

dusty- I agree 100%. That's why I don't fugde on my BW's. OK, Adam laugh all you want!!!!

Red

C-CROSS

We had a HW 165 the cow had him, but he was a little slow for a few days.  It was a couple years  ago, hope to never have another of those!!!!!

red

C-CROSS said:
We had a HW 165 the cow had him, but he was a little slow for a few days.  It was a couple years  ago, hope to never have another of those!!!!!

OUCH!!!!!!  ::) :p :eek:

Red

GLZ

HW is PHAF or is it because the BW was similar to a calf born w/ the defect?

Actually both, but it was an attempt at humor towards the latter.

More than likely a poor attempt.

Chap

had a 120+ pounder this spring.  moderate pull on a mature 1500 lb cow.  my dad checked on him after a few hours. I asked if he had nursed yet.  his reply... " don't worry if he doesn't nurse, he's big enough to eat hay"
Had a Dr Who last year that weighed 140 (on the scale), born unassisted but took about 3 days to get over "big, dumb, bullcalf syndrom" 

itk

We didn't weight the calves individually but we had a cow have 306# worth of twin bull calves once. We were able to get them out but not in near enough time for either of them to live. The cow bred right back without problem and never again had anything even close to that size. She even worked her way into our donor line up where she got flushed to Double Duty.

red

itk said:
We didn't weight the calves individually but we had a cow have 306# worth of twin bull calves once. We were able to get them out but not in near enough time for either of them to live. The cow bred right back without problem and never again had anything even close to that size. She even worked her way into our donor line up where she got flushed to Double Duty.

ITK- that is unbelievable! I've had a cow deliever two twins that weighed 90 pounds each but never that big. These were another set of Burners. Needless to say, he's been long gone!

Red

showgirl2010

Wow ya'all are make records. Never even heard of such birth weights.  Our biggest calf was probable 90lbs. since we have bought our Salers bull.  Before that maybe 95, but we hardly ever pull anything.

Jamie

farmboy

HW was a c-section him self..

biggest probably was a 140 heifer calf  ;) pulled it dead but momma bred right back and has the best steer calf in the feild, she was just a second calver with the 140. now she has the most muscular calf in the feild today ;)

red

here is the little bugger or maybe I should say, big boy!

Red

Attachments

• 100_1898.jpg
    100_1898.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 345

Jill

Wow, he's got some mighty straight back legs, the bigger ones always look to nice and filled out.