287 days? Do I get worried.

Help Support Steer Planet:

GLZ

So I have a simmie heifer who I absolutely love that was due earlier this week.  She is currently at 287 days. 

She is leaking mucus, and has been since 2 days ago.  Her muscling is completely relaxed in the back, and I am shocked she hasn't had it yet. 

At what point do I start to really worry.  ( I mean more than I am right now )  I don't really like the idea of inducing, but I suppose it may be an idea I need to entertain if this goes on too long.

Jill

This is something not everyone agrees on, my vet says never induce, she will have it when she is ready.

red

I guess since we have such big calves we induce. The one that had the 126# was induced for her due date. Can you imagine what she'd had if she went a week beyond. Personally, we've never had troubles but I'd leave it up to your vet.
The thing you do need to remember is that some breeds run a little longer or shorter than others. Also some cows/bulls tend to have longer/shorter gestations. I'd palapate her to make sure all is OK.
Red

CAB

I wouldn't worry yet. What is the gestation period that the simi breed association gives mature cows? I probably wouldn't worry up to 10 days over and even then unless you are seeing signs of troubles, I  wouldn't worry too much. I've only induced 1 cow in 30 plus years, but then again, I have  had my share of hard pulls and what not over the years too.

chambero

How many humans have their babies on their due date.  I've always been taught due dates are really +/- 14 days.  Anything in that range is "normal".  After that I might think about doing something if I was really worried.

CAB

Chambero, I always laugh when human gestation is brought up. I can tell you off of the top of my head that cows are 283-285, dogs 63days, sheep 43 days, swine 114 days, but if you want to know humans gestation, I don't know other than 9 months or when the gals get close,"any time now" forever until. What's up with this? Anybody know in days for sure human gestation? I need to know B4 I die. LOL.

chambero

No idea.  I just showed up when they told me to be there on mine.

Although I've never induced a cow, my wife's doctor induced her for both our boys.  My wife had high blood pressure each time late in pregnancy.  They asked us when we wanted to have them.  We picked a time, showed up at the hospital, and she "calved" probably 8 hours later.  I don't know what all the fuss is about!

Bad part  is, nobody in family (including my wife) ever referred to it as her "giving birth" - she was going to calve.    I think my wife accidentally referred to it as calving to her doctor - who was from India and gave her the strangest look in the world. 

itk

We have had as much as a 28 day window on ET calves that were all put in on the same day. Some have come as much as two weeks early and some were two weeks late. If you are sure she stuck to her ai date I would start to worry but not before the two week over date.

red

Chambero, you sound like my nephew. He keeps telling his wife that heifers calve early!

Red

itk

knabe said:
don't you breed heifers earlier anyway?

Are you talking about cows or people because this thread is starting to get uncomfortable.

SWMO

CAB    I believe in humans it's 40 weeks.  Been a few years since I had (needed) to know :D

CPL

Last year, my heifer calved 12-13 days late of her due date and everything was fine (78 lbs BW). I wouldn't worry yet.

Bawndoh

So think of it this way.  You syncroize 100 cows to be bred (a.i.) on the same date.  You sure as he-l-l are not going to have 100 calves 9 months later on the same date.  You will have them 10 days before, or 10 days after the expected calving date.  So then in a perfect world, where all 100 cows catch, you should have 100 calves over 20 days.

GLZ

The answer is yes I should get worried.

She tried calving today.  Unfortunately it was a huge calf.  Tried pulling it, but no luck.  Died inside her by the time the vet got here. 

It just kept getting worse.  We cut a leg off to pull it out.  The vet then realized that there was a large hole in the heifers uterus.

I had to put my best heifer down today.

If I have any luck, it seems like it is normally bad luck.

shorthorns r us

Your screen name says it all.  But, then again, aren't we all?

Better luck next time.

If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.
Blues, despair and agony for me.  Ooohhhhh!

red

I'm so sorry Still learning. It is really hard when you loose both. Very, very sorry.  :'(

Red

Cowboy

Still Learning, I feel for you early on in your cattle career when it turns out like this.

I am assuming this was an ex show hfr, and was pampered pretty well from early on. That makes it even harder than it should be.

My question here is this -- WHY?? on earth did the vet that came decide to try and pull your calf when you had already done so?? That is a red flag for me -- was he/she an experienced vet???

Also -- I am really concerned as to why she had to be put down from just having a hole in her uterus?? That would be -- in ecense -- the same basis dilemma you would have had if he had elected to C-section her for the dead calf. It can be repaired -- and believe me that uterus is the most amazing organ in ANY body. I have seen some horrendously bad deals over the years, things being torn to pieces and etc, only to go in and sew em up -- and have calf again the next trip.

One cow I remember being called to assist on was already torn clear thru the cervix, up into the sphincter muscle and was completely  open clear to the cervix. I was shocked to see it. I spent about 2 hours and 300 stiches to get her even close to resembling a cow -- you know what???  Later that year that same duffus hfr was presented here asa donor cow!

Not only was I able to flush the dumb thing, but she made 16 good embryos the first trip and another 13 the next time.

It is easy for me to sit here and visualize what may have happened, but I would be very upset if some one told me to put my hfr down just becasue of a hole in her tract. It can be managed and repaired - and any infection worked with. I am very sorry your hfr was lost, as you can tell I am extremely compassionate about these things!

Wee, I will quit making you feel bad - - my intent here was to point out that there are many options -- and in my opinion unless she was completely destroyed in there -- there may have been a hasty decision made that may not have had to be made by your vet.

Good luck from here on -- it will get better!

Terry