A follow up on 734

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

While I was doing chores and looking at my cows, I was thinking (that alone should impress a few people!!) back at some of the post concerning cloning and 734.
I literally laughed out loud. So when I got into the house, I got my ol' SEK catalog out and looked him up just to make sure I had the right picture in my mind!
From his picture you would NEVER use him: he is too high flanked, frail boned, gutless,  light muscled, sloppy fronted, and small footed. I am willing to bet, if you took his photo and put it in a mix you would be hard pressed to find anyone that would put him in the top half of bulls selected. Now, I realize he is the "great Meyer 734" and looking back he is considered one of the few great female bulls ever (clubbie and simmi).  But looking at his photo, why on earth would anyone clone him?? Don't take this wrong....I just flushed a cow to him and therefore PAID for the semen.
I hear Cunia is just as ugly. So I guess my point or thought is, maybe a bull can not be considered "great" by his photo alone, nor can he be considered "great' until he is proven beyond his years....don't know...just a thought!

chambero

It kind of makes you laugh when people try to pick out bulls from a baby picture.

shortyisqueen

I would be most interested in seeing that picture!!!

I don't think a bull is ever good until he's passed two crops of daughters calving out. Time is the greatest test!!!

Show Heifer

That is a much more flattering pic than what SEK has in their catalog (which isn't saying much!!)....I'm not smart enough to scan it and get it on here....anyone else able to?

OH Breeder

shortyisqueen said:
That posted one is alot better than I expected after your description!!!

I never thought he was that bad, but from my understanding the Simmi breeders didn't use him a whole lot "back then". A good friend of my was a teen in the early 90's and he went around and collected Meyer 734 from all those Simmi' breeders that were going to pitch it. he now has a bank of 50 plus straws. He has a mini gold mine.

DLD

Show Heifer said:
... So I guess my point or thought is, maybe a bull can not be considered "great" by his photo alone, nor can he be considered "great' until he is proven beyond his years....don't know...just a thought!

Yep.

Jill

That was the same thought I had the 1st time I looked him up.  The look of a bull may be what sells semen from the initial excitement phase, but most of the bulls that have been the changers and really stood the test of time most people wouldn't even consider purchasing from a mature picture.
Something I noticed, his birthdate has a typo, should be 1989 not 2989, don't see those very often in semen catalogs.

CAB

I wish that I was disciplined enough to resist all the new GREAT LOOKING bulls and use the older proven bulls. Sorry to admit it, but I'm a sucker for a pretty boy.

garybob

His sons were better-looking than he was.
We had a crossbred cow that looked like "Picaso". She was a breeding piece. Wish we could turn back the clock. Think her tag was 52. She lived from '87 to '02 at our place, before She took ''the big ride''. I told Daddy he was making a mistake the morning he loaded her. He replied:"what do you know, anyway, you raise 'roans'!?''' At close to 16 years of age, she had the look of a 6-year old cow.
Note: She also had the teeth of a five-year-old,was in the early third period, and avoided the abbattoir, if only for a little while longer.

farmboy

Jill said:
That was the same thought I had the 1st time I looked him up.  The look of a bull may be what sells semen from the initial excitement phase, but most of the bulls that have been the changers and really stood the test of time most people wouldn't even consider purchasing from a mature picture.
Something I noticed, his birthdate has a typo, should be 1989 not 2989, don't see those very often in semen catalogs.

a few years ago at our fair, my advisor/freind had the reserve champ and said he was outta kadabra, he said, idk what he looks like but he throws awful good calves, being a pack rat i bungled through my box and found a catalog with kadabras older picture and showed him, said he woulda never got a calf from him by the looks of his mature pic, he looks like a dandy in his 5 mnth old pic tho