Aborting Pregnancy

Help Support Steer Planet:

Mueller Show Cattle

I had a neighbors bull we could not keep out of our pasture, kept jumping the fences to get to our cows over the past 2 weeks, was a daily occurrence to get him out and he would be rite back the next morning. Anyway I know I can give a shot of Lutalyse to abort any pregnancy which I plan to do to all my cows as I knew some of my cows were in heat. The question I have is how much, 5 CC? Then how long will it take for the cow to recycle? I plan to release my bull in a week. Thanks

RyanChandler

I always go with 5cc Lute in one hip and 10cc of dex in the other.  I'm uncertain of how quickly they recycle as my use with it has been w/ heifers that I was still 3-4 months out of wanting to rebreed.  I had the same problem with one of my neighbors last week.  The first day he was in there, I called the owner, asked her if I could buy the yearling bull, she said yes and agreed upon a price. The next day I took him to the salebarn. I cleared $430 on the deal and got rid of the problem.

cowman 52

If you cAn wait 10 days, lut and  they will cycle again and breeding them is better than 50/50 of getting them bred.  The lut won't wrk unless you a CL.  The dex will knock one, and you will see her cycle pretty much on schedule.

Mueller Show Cattle

Ok, thanks guys. Does it mater with how far they are along, the longest is 14 days and the shortest is 3 days now since we last seen the bull, believe the neighbor moved him down the road farther in a different pasture.

Top Knot

You should wait at least 10 days from breeding to give the lutalyse. They will cycle within 5 days (usually 2 or 3).

OH Breeder

I was told to give it 7-11 days after service and if you have an antibiotic on hand to give a small dose of that as well and that usually does the trick.

CAB

-XBAR- said:
obie105 said:
diioriocattle said:
Dex as in dextrose?
Dexamethazone (sp?)

Yes, dexamethasone.

I don't know the exact time frame but I can assure you folks that a cow will not abort a calf from lut and then breed back in 5 days.
You'd be wrong about that. You can use this to your advantage actually. I'd  wait until the last cow that has a chance of being bred is 10 days post breeding and just use 5 ccs of Lute or 2ccs of estrumate / watch for heats and AI if you want to. It really is similar to using a cidr protocol, but instead of tricking the cow into thinking that she is preg., she really is. No longer than your cows are bred you won't need any dex with it. It can be a very good way to sync cows as long as they are not very far along. If they are too far along that is when you can run into troubles getting cows to settle and that is just a matter of the amount of time that it takes to get the cow's uterus in condition to except the embryo and is where OH Breeder is coming from with the antibiotic recommendation. You should have no issues to worry about given the time frame that you are telling us.

RyanChandler

^ good stuff.  I wasn't thinking a heifer only bred 10 days when I said not cycling back in 5 days.

How long would u expect it to take a heifer that was 3-4months bred?

HavinABlast

You may not be successful aborting them if they are in the middle trimester.  Certainly hit them with the dex if further along (its a steroid) but you still may not have success if they are 4-5 months bred.

CAB

-XBAR- said:
^ good stuff.  I wasn't thinking a heifer only bred 10 days when I said not cycling back in 5 days.

How long would u expect it to take a heifer that was 3-4months bred?

No good way to estimate when a 90 day bred would clean up and settle. That would be individual situations.
You can run the risk of mummy calves when trying to abort too late. Read the labels and proceed with caution on later term pregnancies.

RyanChandler

Is there any sure safe way of aborting a 120 day bred?  I've got a 15 month old heifer that is making a little bag--- Im certain she isn't any farther along as if she was bred pre weaning shed have already calved. 

CAB

-XBAR- said:
Is there any sure safe way of aborting a 120 day bred?  I've got a 15 month old heifer that is making a little bag--- Im certain she isn't any farther along as if she was bred pre weaning shed have already calved.
  Ck with your vet. Personally I wouldn't be scared to abort a 120 day bred. Lute or estrumate + 10/12ccs of dexamethasone.

Latest posts