Advice on Clipping Clinic

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

So I have been asked back by my old 4-H Club to do a clipping clinic on Friday.  I am so excited I hardly slept last night!  I have a plan in mind, and I am almost content on what I want to cover in the clinic.  The thing is, most of the kids in the club are BARELY interested in cattle.  Probably 90% of them will never go on to show cattle ever in their life.  They are in 4-H because they are "trying" it out, or the parents forced them, or they like the cheque from their steer every year.  I am very frustrated at this, but yet so darn excited to teach them how to properly clip.  I am planning on explaining clippers, blades, and equipment, then showing them how to clip much like Kirk Steirwelt does.  I am going to have to keep it VERY short, as many of the kids wont be paying any attention after an hour, and many of them wont care what I am talking about. 
My question for everyone is....What are some things that I should be sure NOT to miss??  Anybody had this same situation before?  How did you handle it?

showman ne

the stierwalt format is a good one to use. try to focus more on the kids that don't look interested. try to make them interested

Jill

The best thing he did IMO was take a piece of chalk and actually draw on the calf to show the clip and no clip areas, this makes it much easier for someone that doesn't really have a clue what they are doing rather than just looking at a black animal.

Bawndoh

Yes I would agree about the chalk.  I think I will do a demo on one side of the calf, and then let the members clip the other side.  More advanced kids can do the harder parts, etc.  

red

good luck, you'll do a great job!  (clapping)  <party>
Glad to see I'm not the only one that can't sleep when they have too much running through their head. Kind of hard to slow down the chipmunks!

Red