Advice on Clipping Clinic

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

So I have been asked back by my old 4-H Club to do a clipping clinic on Friday.  I am so excited I hardly slept last night!  I have a plan in mind, and I am almost content on what I want to cover in the clinic.  The thing is, most of the kids in the club are BARELY interested in cattle.  Probably 90% of them will never go on to show cattle ever in their life.  They are in 4-H because they are "trying" it out, or the parents forced them, or they like the cheque from their steer every year.  I am very frustrated at this, but yet so darn excited to teach them how to properly clip.  I am planning on explaining clippers, blades, and equipment, then showing them how to clip much like Kirk Steirwelt does.  I am going to have to keep it VERY short, as many of the kids wont be paying any attention after an hour, and many of them wont care what I am talking about. 
My question for everyone is....What are some things that I should be sure NOT to miss??  Anybody had this same situation before?  How did you handle it?

showman ne

the stierwalt format is a good one to use. try to focus more on the kids that don't look interested. try to make them interested

Jill

The best thing he did IMO was take a piece of chalk and actually draw on the calf to show the clip and no clip areas, this makes it much easier for someone that doesn't really have a clue what they are doing rather than just looking at a black animal.

Bawndoh

Yes I would agree about the chalk.  I think I will do a demo on one side of the calf, and then let the members clip the other side.  More advanced kids can do the harder parts, etc.  

red

good luck, you'll do a great job!  (clapping)  <party>
Glad to see I'm not the only one that can't sleep when they have too much running through their head. Kind of hard to slow down the chipmunks!

Red

Latest posts