AI and ET Techs

Help Support Steer Planet:

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
I think it should be excellent an excellent field for a young guy, lots of future but in Nebraska the Vets are making it difficult to do it unless you are a vet or if working for a big ranch you that had their own facilities you might make it work.  Very unfair  because vet schools don't even cover this in their education . One guy has been doing it for thirty years an trying to stop him.

Cattledog

Well, I have always been interested in that as well.  I was able to do a bunch of custom AI breeding in college but never went to an embryo transplant school.  I guess the most important part after the actual education would be marketing yourself correctly.  You will need to be in a high demand area and it may take a bit to become established. 

andy

I worked as an AI/ET tech for 8 years after completing high school and 2 years of ag college.  Was a fantastic job.  Good pay, excellent people and exposure to more cows and people than you could shake a stick at.  I can't think of a better job for someone who wants to run cows fulltime eventually.

BCCC

Would you say there is a need for more ET techs? Seems that most people are pretty stuck on the Embroy Transfer place that they use now, and just don't really imagine you could get a lot of bussiness. Any thoughts?

Show Heifer

Most states are requiring any ET work be done by a licenced vet. Some states even state that AI'ing must be done by a vet. Which I feel is totally ridiculous, but if cattleman sit back and let it happen I guess we do not have anyone to blame but ourselves.

IF you are good at what you do, you can succeed in anything. IF you are a good people person, and hold up your end of the bargin, you can succeed in anything.  But, do not expect to "hit it rich" immediately. You have to prove yourself for a few years first. 

So my advice is to get active in the ol' legislative process and first make sure what you want to do is LEGAL. It is all irrelevant if that step isn't done first.

GLC

I've been doing this for 27 yrs. and in my area of Louisiana, there is not enough work to do this fulltime. Great as a side job! Most of the vets here won't do AI or ET. They recommend me, as does the vet school.

shorthorngirl2010

I too am interested in this occupation.  Being a Junior in High School, in the 4th quarter... i was going to start a topic similar to this in the near future lol.  Being located in SW Nebraska, i feel that there would definately be work for me if i so choose to do this (not to interfere with Cowbooy :) ).  My only thing is, what college to look into for this education?  Would NCTA (Nebraska College of Technical Agriculture) be able to offer this cirriculum possibly?  Or would i have to travel to UNL for the schooling? So many questions! lol.  (waiting for cowboys response to this.. as we know he's a master at it ;) lol)
Thanks
Sammie

Show Heifer

shorthorngirl: FACT: It is illegal for anyone to do embryo work in Nebraska except a licenced vet.
Might want to look into laws before making a life long decision to dodge and duck.

Cattledog

I know a bunch of places that teach AI but who teaches the actual embryo implantation?  I am not concerned with the superovulating I think that it would be nice to know how to put them in.

Cowboy

Show Hfr -- you know what ?? You never cease to AMAZE me -- instead of trying to be possitive, you always seem to hit on the negatives.

As we speak -- just so you know, the state board is trying it's BEST to rework the regs and allow those who show ability and a track history to stay doing what we all love!

There is only ONE guy in this entire state who feels he is better than us all, and HE is the one who has turned in those several people. In his mind, I am sure, he is doing something to follow the written laws, but in reality -- it is all about the money and greed. He uses the RX laws to make it right -- but it is all about him.

So in case you may like jabbing me or others here -- try and remember who tried to help you with your ultrasound work over in MIssouri a couple years ago, it is not WHAT you know most of the time, it is WHO.

I have never stepped on any toes out here, I have many customers who like what I do, and I cause no annimosity for any of the local and long distance vets. They are for the most part all my friends. I like it that way.

No one can trully TEACH ET and it's up's and down's BETTER than just plain old hard work and lots of cows. Get a few of the basics, and let the cows teach you from there. Problem is, you have to get really lucky to have the right place to start -- and that means a fairly large place with lots of cows, and even more patience. 28 years ago I had that chance, and for the next 7 years I works for only 2 ranches to perfect what I do. I am so glad I met those folks, and they got alot of good work done while got better atit. WE all learned together back then, it is different today, not saying it's better, just different!

The older I get, the more I am cosidering looking into a start up course of some sort to helpall you young people at least be able to do some of your own works. If not the flush -- then at least the implants. Implants take more experience that alot of the best A-I techs even have, it is simply a matter of going into no mans land when you put eggs in, some where that no semen ever gets deposited. Long story.

Terry

Show Heifer

Cowboy, am I not right? Is it not illegal at this time, right now, for a non-vet to do ET work in Neb? I would hate to see someone do all the schooling to do something just to find out it was illegal and start getting nasty threatening letters from the state. I am glad they are "trying to work it out". That seems logical since most techs are far superior to vets in this field of work.
I told them to get involved in the process to make it legal first, then start business. Sounds like good advice to me. 
Honestly, I wish you the best in changing the regs.... it will be interesting to see the compremise is.

ROAD WARRIOR

Make absolutely no mistake about it - the current law is a money grab just like many laws that legislate many people with more ability and know how out of jobs so that a chosen few are the only game in town. If you had to rely on the vets in my little part of the world - you would never get a cow flushed. I honestly don't know who I would use in this part of the world, tried a few that only cost me money and messed up my cows. I would much rather go with someone that I trust , rather than someone the state says I must use because they have a piece of paper that says they are qualified. There art craftsmen in this trade and there are also just contractors! Legal or not I'll take the craftsman. RW 

justintime

Cowboy... let me know when your first course is as I want to be a part of it. If you want me to send a deposit to save a place, let me know. I am more than interested in learning more about this field. I may be an older dog, but I think I can still learn a few tricks yet!

Cowboy

There may very well be a possibility for this to happen some time -- as I get older, the parts of the body needed to work extremely WELL and trying to go on strike and not work AT ALL -- that is not a good scenario! hehehe

My luck would be I'd have to go buy a state sponsored license and get tutored on how to give advice -- wouldn't surprise me a bit. Teachers Union -- and many other governmental bomb throwers!

If you folks get enough interest, I wouldn't be at all against putting on a small clinic -- but I sure don't hae the cows for every one to practise on -- that is always the real down side of any A-I or ET school -- live victoms!

Will keep you posted as they say.

2010 -- you are about the ONLY one on here that has NO excuse for not stopping in some time, you are about a gallon and a half of gas away! hehehe

Terry