AI bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

It is an eye opening experience. I wonder if everyone should make at least 1 trip to the collection sites to really see the bulls.
Now I understand where we get spastic parlysis (SP!) from, cavles that can't make it to the feed bunk & worse. I'm like Justme, makes me appreciate our herd bulls all that much more.
I hope we haven't offended anyone w/ the pictures. Talk to me if your upset but I feel this is a good representation of what's being used. There are really good bulls being collected. Welcome all pictures of current sires in their work clothes!

Red

chambero

Friction looks like he has some real muscle to him.  

Heat Wave looks just like our bull we got rid of this fall who threw our SP calves.  He got pretty straight on his back legs and it looked like he almost had a "catch" in his back.  Although honestly I expected worse on Heat Wave from what I've heard of him.  I did expect him to appear heavier muscled.

red

I think Hard Core worried me the most. Iowa did say he had hurt his hoof & 1/2 of it was missing.
I'm using Hard Core this year & no not want leg/feet problems.

JustMe said that MoneyMan still looks good even after being used quite heavily & being an older bull now. good top & deep, also still sound.

Red

DL

Thanks Iowa - very interesting - just like in Hollywood - imagine what some of the stars would look like before they were attacked by hair, makeup and photo re touch (not to mention the plastic surgery!) Bulls in their lesiure outfits (if they were really working, assuming they could walk) we would expect them to cover some miles, eh?)

The proof might be in the progeny but how many of the progeny are "dumped" so it looks like great pudding when it is really just the leftovers?

I've been pretty much using old genetics the last couple of years (OK for decades!) and guess I'll stick with it. chambero Pistol Pete still makes a great calf!

I agree with you that Ali  looks the best of the bulls pictured (as well as his picture in the Voice) and many people like and use the bull - can't bring myself to do it and it has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of the bull or the quality of the calves,

Thanks again Iowa, the internet seems to change all things! dl

iowa

You are right DL, the internet has changed all things!  Hopefully the pictures won't offend anyone. The bulls are their in the working clothes for everyone to see. I was very impressed with Ali. The mature photo they are running in ads now is exactly what you see. Sunseeker was pretty impressive. He was taller than what I had expected and has a tremendous amount of length and bone and still had leg hair that looked like it was 3 to 4 inches long.  Friction was more moderate framed and heavier muscled than Sunseeker. Friction also very long bodied. The rest of the club calf bulls were yearlings and some still had some hair, some had shed theirs. The yearlings were pretty well muscled individuals, but most were pretty short. Time will tell how they turn out. WAR Cowboy up was probably the most impressive bulls there from a breeding standpoint. If you like Angus, he is the real deal. There was another WAR bull there called Architect and he was impressive as well. Wind Ridge Leggs looked like he is going to be a nice bull.  Blue Blood was pretty impressive with the amount of thickness he had, depth of body and rocket front. All his feet pointed in the right direction as well. Not sure what Heatwaves problem is. I saw him last year and watched him try to get and and when he finally did, he went right back down. This year he got up and kept standing while I was in the barn so he seemed to be better than last year. I saw Heatwave I last year and was impressed with him, but he was not there this year.  Hard Core was missing the outside half of his back left hoof so he was not standing on a full 4 feet. I don't believe there is any structural problem. He must of hurt the foot somehow.  I agree with you Chambero on using the "Old genetics" after seeing some of the bulls in person.

red

Here is the latest picture of Ali. Have to say that is good to see an updated picture of a bull rather than the same old picture that you've seen forever.

Attachments

• ali-may07-mature%20copy.jpg
    ali-may07-mature%20copy.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 7,016

Jill

red said:
I think Hard Core worried me the most. Iowa did say he had hurt his hoof & 1/2 of it was missing.
I'm using Hard Core this year & no not want leg/feet problems.

JustMe said that MoneyMan still looks good even after being used quite heavily & being an older bull now. good top & deep, also still sound.

Red
I agree with Justme, we didn't see him this year, but last year when we were there he looked great!  I can tell you that any bull Major's use for pasture use is structurally correct and athletic, with the hills and amount of ground they travel a lesser bull will not make it.

afhm

The pens that the bulls are kept in don't look like they would help soundness issues.  They are awfully short, rough looking, and terribly muddy.  I would want my bulls if they were at a stud to have some type of a paddock to be able to move around in, maybe some grass to munch on.

chambero

I wondered about that also.  A mature bull needs a lot more room to move around than that, at least in my opinion.  And why wouldn't they be kept just as clean as everyone keeps their stalls.  As much money as Heat Wave makes his owners, I would have expected them to demand a lot better conditions than that.  If I had a bull making me upwards of a $1 million in revenue per year, he'd have his own full-time "handler", or at least close to it.  He sure as **** woudn't have to stand in mud especially if he had some leg issues to begin with.

afhm said:
The pens that the bulls are kept in don't look like they would help soundness issues.  They are awfully short, rough looking, and terribly muddy.  I would want my bulls if they were at a stud to have some type of a paddock to be able to move around in, maybe some grass to munch on.

knabe

my feet feel terrible if i get them wet, have to walk around on uneven ground where i can't put my foot down flat.  the soreness travels up the leg.  with the electro ejacs, they're lucky they don't have to mount a phantom.  what should it cost to put a turnout paddok at the facility and, um, would they be receptive to donations?

DL

knabe said:
my feet feel terrible if i get them wet, have to walk around on uneven ground where i can't put my foot down flat.  the soreness travels up the leg.  with the electro ejacs, they're lucky they don't have to mount a phantom.  what should it cost to put a turnout paddok at the facility and, um, would they be receptive to donations?

Donation?? To who?? All of these guys are in business and many are collecting money from us for the privilege to purchase their bulls semen - if the bull owners don't fell compelled to insist on better accommodations maybe buyers should contact the owners and tell them they won't purchase semen from their bulls until they demonstrate more concern over the welfare and housing of their cash cow (so to speak).

What I find interesting is the small number of bulls that actually reach an age where they might spend their time watching TV--- how many AI bulls can you name that have had the luxury of being "aged"
FR Strutt
The Witch Doctor
Grizz
Gizmo ?? (ELBEE _Yes??)

anybody else, sure there are some...

OH Breeder

I learned something last year. Every state has money set aside at their extension office that is for improvements to farms. Can't think of the name of the program, but it is for livestock. It looks like they could use come "critical access" pads. As wet and muddy as its been we keep our cows as dry as possible. I know it is difficult to keep them out of the mud but some of those pens really look wet. I am with the rest of you, invest in some drainage and larger paddock.

ELBEE

Makes me really appreciate KABSU. Both Wymore and our Leggs son gained nearly 4 lbs. per day while standing at stud. Nice facilities, more room than average.

sjcattleco

Those pics are very interesting.... those bulls should be somewhat fat and or gaining wt.... A few on there look like complete wrecks... Shoot that one on there that is no deeper made than 2 spaces of the gate  looks like a goat!!  Wymore looked great at KABSU!!! and he was on concrete!!!!

DL

ELBEE said:
Makes me really appreciate KABSU. Both Wymore and our Leggs son gained nearly 4 lbs. per day while standing at stud. Nice facilities, more room than average.

ELBEE - how old was Gizmo when he died?

ELBEE

Gizmo was born in November of 92, he died of lightening strike at Bakenhus', about this time of the season 05. His sire Improved Leader, broke a rear toe at 17. We let it go too long before trying to fix it, the vet. said if he's horny enough he'll breed. At 18 he gimped around breeding heifers, maybe 20 or so head. The reason we kept him around so long is because he was so good to use on them. This story gets better! Then I knew the dock I'd take at the auction on a gimpy bull so we took him to the locker. Went over to view the carcass, just as bright red meat and snowy white fat as the youngsters hangin around him. The plant owners still to this day don't believe his age. Big mistake not collecting him. Scott, he must have had a pretty scruffy looking tail switch. Bossie Bessie, and 13L's mother are still around. Daughters of Improved Leader.