AI bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Malinda

Hey Red,

To answer your questions about where Ohio folks get their bulls collected:

I have used Freeman Fry at Galaxy Genetics. I have known Freeman all my life, even went to high school with one of his daughters. Freeman goes to Maysville, Ky every week to collect at Chan Phillips' facility, plus he uses the Plain City location. It is actually closer for me to go to Maysville; all I have to do is turn left out of my driveway and I end up crossing the Ohio River right into Maysville. Well, not sure Freeman is still going to Chan's, but that is waht he did when I was having King Kong collected.

I have also used Genetic Connections in Springfield, Ohio (under new ownership the last few years).

I rarely ever leave bulls at a facility for more than a few days. I want them home on my pastures, getting plenty of exercise and not getting exposed to every disease known to bovines. Plus, I think if they just hang out with bulls, they get more agressive.

In all the times King Kong was collected, we only had one sub-par collection...185 units. None of us had an answer for the change. But, he was averaging around 385 straws/collection.

I had a bull collected last summer, right in the middle of the heat wave and he had not been used for a while. We had to throw out the first shot and got less than 200 straws the second try. The quality was good, so that is the only collection I did. I sold the bull (when he was collected, he was on his way to his new owner). Now I wish I had more semen in the tank. He is proving to be a calving ease bull, the calves are lively and on the teat in minutes and the best thing is their feet all point in the right direction!

Sometimes I think the best time to make semen purchasing decisions is AFTER the bulls mature and you can know if, when and why they break  down. I guess I am lucky in a way. I can't remember the last time I used a bull I had never seen in the flesh, in a field and doing hiis work.

I  will never understand why bulls that are known to throw cripples become and REMAIN popular A-I sires. Is chasing that one great one worth it? Well, it isn't worth it at my place. I am not into knocking calves in the head, weaning early to get them to the yards for some salvage money, or having a Junior call me to tell me a calf I sold them is not going to make it to the fair.....or the pasture.

Haven't posted for a while, so guess I got on to a roll here. Sorry.

Malinda

Diamond

After looking at the bulls, I regret selling my heard sire...

Though I am inpressed with Ali and look forward to the calfs he's going to produce for me.
??
Would anyone happen to have an aged picture of Alias, star power, tyson or DR. who??

showsteerdlux

??
Would anyone happen to have an aged picture of Alias, star power, tyson or DR. who??
[/quote]
There is a mature pic of Alias somewhere in the archives cause I saw it last week. Massive bull in my oppinion.

JbarL

Malinda said:
Hey Red,

To answer your questions about where Ohio folks get their bulls collected:

I have used Freeman Fry at Galaxy Genetics. I have known Freeman all my life, even went to high school with one of his daughters. Freeman goes to Maysville, Ky every week to collect at Chan Phillips' facility, plus he uses the Plain City location. It is actually closer for me to go to Maysville; all I have to do is turn left out of my driveway and I end up crossing the Ohio River right into Maysville. Well, not sure Freeman is still going to Chan's, but that is waht he did when I was having King Kong collected.

I have also used Genetic Connections in Springfield, Ohio (under new ownership the last few years).

I rarely ever leave bulls at a facility for more than a few days. I want them home on my pastures, getting plenty of exercise and not getting exposed to every disease known to bovines. Plus, I think if they just hang out with bulls, they get more agressive.

In all the times King Kong was collected, we only had one sub-par collection...185 units. None of us had an answer for the change. But, he was averaging around 385 straws/collection.

I had a bull collected last summer, right in the middle of the heat wave and he had not been used for a while. We had to throw out the first shot and got less than 200 straws the second try. The quality was good, so that is the only collection I did. I sold the bull (when he was collected, he was on his way to his new owner). Now I wish I had more semen in the tank. He is proving to be a calving ease bull, the calves are lively and on the teat in minutes and the best thing is their feet all point in the right direction!

Sometimes I think the best time to make semen purchasing decisions is AFTER the bulls mature and you can know if, when and why they break  down. I guess I am lucky in a way. I can't remember the last time I used a bull I had never seen in the flesh, in a field and doing hiis work.

I  will never understand why bulls that are known to throw cripples become and REMAIN popular A-I sires. Is chasing that one great one worth it? Well, it isn't worth it at my place. I am not into knocking calves in the head, weaning early to get them to the yards for some salvage money, or having a Junior call me to tell me a calf I sold them is not going to make it to the fair.....or the pasture.

Haven't posted for a while, so guess I got on to a roll here. Sorry.

Malinda
does anyone have any info on the genetic conncections facality??....can't find a website/link...or phone number....??? someone suggetsted the facility to me ( mainly because of proximity)...but also they had positive things to say of there facality and performance....any info would be greatly appreciated...pm@ [email protected]  thanks  jbarl

FarmerWanna-Be

I never realized Heat Wave looked like that in his later years. He was impressive when he as young but he looks terrible in that picture. Im kinda shocked. I dont care how good he is at siring champions, I wont use him.

kfacres

FarmerWanna-Be said:
I never realized Heat Wave looked like that in his later years. He was impressive when he as young but he looks terrible in that picture. Im kinda shocked. I dont care how good he is at siring champions, I wont use him.

He was originally a $1200 county fair geared show steer....  wonder whY?  Just think how much influence he has!

FarmerWanna-Be

the truth said:
FarmerWanna-Be said:

He was originally a $1200 county fair geared show steer....  wonder whY?  Just think how much influence he has!

That's interesting. I didnt realize that but I guess that decision to keep him a bull changed the club calf industry forever. His genetics are everywhere now.

ruhtram

Yes, I heard being a june calf they decided to keep hw a bull b.c he was too young for a steer

Simmgal

FarmerWanna-Be said:
the truth said:
FarmerWanna-Be said:

That's interesting. I didnt realize that but I guess that decision to keep him a bull changed the club calf industry forever. His genetics are everywhere now.
I'll have to say that Heatwave surprised me the most..with as good as his calves look and how in demand his semen is and how many clones of him there are.. Wow. He just looks poor doing at this point. I'm sure some of it is age, but we have had some really old herd bulls breeding cows when they were about 12 or more. I guess I am just used to looking at our big and meaty Simmentals, but I was really expecting more from Heatwave. He is everywhere, and if he really does look like that, I'm not surprised that I don't see more cows out of him. He can throw some big steers though, and a big banner from a show doesn't hurt either! JMO.

farmboy

This thread is old. That's a terrible pic of heatwave. He could of just stood up and is stretching, the lighting is terrible too.

Woody

No, it was really that sad in person.  That is actually better than I remember him when I seen him.

Latest posts