AIR'ing

Help Support Steer Planet:

GoWyo

It is a despicable and indefensible practice no matter how you cut it or poke it.  It's fraud, it's abusive and I hope that anyone who does it goes straight to Hades.  There, I feel better already.

farmin female

Could they just check carcasses of the winners?

Has anyone out there seen a carcass of a calf this was done to?  Just curious.  The carcass from the grand champion calf from our county fair was condemned a few years back.  The most common story around was that the owners filled him with oil.    I understand it is a problem in lamb barns also.

Show Heifer

Carcasses of those that have been tampered with by airing is obvious, how many steers naturally have 3 inches of fat on the rump or lower flank??
Veg oil does run out of meat when slaughtered, so it also would be obvious. 

Dusty, you really think it would be tough for peta to get a camera in a "jocks show barn"? Your joking right? They smuggle cameras in EVERYWHERE, where security is at doors, and the building itself has video security. I am sure they would think it was a walk in the park to get into a jocks barn. In fact, some might invite them in, after a beer or two or three and a few kiss a$$ remarks. Jocks fall for that all the time.

jasper

I thought adding an oz or 2 a day of veg oil for last 30 days put a good finish on them ?

DLD

jasper said:
I thought adding an oz or 2 a day of veg oil for last 30 days put a good finish on them ?

Feeding vegetable oil is nothing like injecting it under the skin - there's nothing wrong with feeding it.

This topic has been hashed and rehashed here before, anyone with questions really should search the archives.

It cannot be defended, and that's really reason enough that we shouldn't be talking about it on these boards, IMHO.  Anytime we bring up those organizations, we need to realize that a simple Google search by them can lead them right to the threads they're being mentioned in... Just my opinion, though.

advocate

Wanna see some that have been done go watch the fort worth steer show

blackcows

aj said:
What would keep say,a top Shorthorn breeder from airing a bull? Does it shorten life span or hurt semen production?Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it shortens the life span or hurts semen production but air obviously isn't heritable so anyone airing bulls runs the risk of having a whole bunch of calves that don't match his phenotype.

Mike