Ali Bull produce crippled calves?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Shghmh

Just wondering if anyone having problems with crippled calves out of Ali bull? We have had 3 so far. Twins out of an Ali heifer and one from Dirty Hairy which I believe is from Ali lineage. We wondered if last one was from calf jacking but wasnt that hard to get out and is in her rear end. The twins were born unassisted and they are both crippled in rear end also. Anyone with any similar problems? Not blaming the bull but it's really suspicious.

ATM OH

We had a Dirty Harry 2 calf that was pretty bad structurally in the front end.  Only time that cow ever had a calf with structure issues.

blackdiamond

Shghmh said:
Just wondering if anyone having problems with crippled calves out of Ali bull? We have had 3 so far. Twins out of an Ali heifer and one from Dirty Hairy which I believe is from Ali lineage. We wondered if last one was from calf jacking but wasnt that hard to get out and is in her rear end. The twins were born unassisted and they are both crippled in rear end also. Anyone with any similar problems? Not blaming the bull but it's really suspicious.

Sounds like you are doubling up of Ali in your pedigrees...

I too am using a double bred half brother/ sister Ali bull-- he breeds every heifer on the place.  I have to say they are the soundest calves- also on the place.

Pictures of the two best bull calves on the shorthorn bulls and bull calves thread- probably on page 2 or 3.

olsun

Have only used 1 unit of Strictly Business. so I don't speak from experience. but a friend tells me that many structure issues come via SB,SB is dams sire of Dirty Harry,

sizzler14

I own a few SB cows and have seen a good many. I dont think you can blame SB on it. Mine are sound as cats and regardless of the mating they have always been sound. I had 3 Alis last year, I had 2 fine and one get super straight. But as far as SB, everyone I have seen have been super sound, and I think they are some of the best cows out there.

Telos

I think you are playing with fire with some of those genetics. Especially when you get them too close genetically. Fear This, Strictly Business's sire, was well known for getting them too steep. You really want to look at those Maine pedigrees. Most of the problem come from some cow families that were good but can get over-cooked in a hurry if you're not careful. Lining up too much Cunia and Etulason can get you in trouble from my experience.

hevmando

I've got an I-80 steer out of a Golden Child x Mossy Oak cow that is starting to get very post legged, to the point imo that he might have spastic paresis.  Could this be a result of too close of the Maine genetics?  Bred to Rumor Mill this time, hope it does not happen again.  I am starting to think purebred bulls on clubby cows might be the way to go.

Telos

hevmando said:
I've got an I-80 steer out of a Golden Child x Mossy Oak cow that is starting to get very post legged, to the point imo that he might have spastic paresis.  Could this be a result of too close of the Maine genetics?  Bred to Rumor Mill this time, hope it does not happen again.  I am starting to think purebred bulls on clubby cows might be the way to go.

I think this is a good example of breeding too close. To get this particular look, you just have to select from a very narrow gene pool. JMHO.

[email protected]

You can breed that cow back the same way and it may never happen again.  All the genetics from show background can get too straight.  Its like lightening.  you never know when its going to strike. The genes just lined up that way this time.  May happen again  and may not. You can avoid that mating and the next bull could have the same results. Some lineage has straightness occur more often than others. The defect is definatley a result of 50 or more years of breeding for straightness .  Those genes could have cropped out from a problem 5 generations ago.  Its always there just waiting to come out. Best I can figure is we have become more concerned about leg structure in last 5-10 years.   If you are a breeder that says you have never had one too straight.  Then you are just lucky, not been the business very long, or have some sorry cattle.  Just kidding on the last one..