angus bull??

Help Support Steer Planet:

jimmyski

the angus111 said:
angus has the only real epds,they have a data base to support that and i for one wants predictablity

Rusty,
I for one will definitely have to disagree with this statement. How can Angus have the only reall EPD's , when yet they don't require whole herd reporting. So guess what, not everyone of those 130lb. calves gets reported. Not every cow that doesn"t have a calf gets reported either>
Like most people on here have said EPDs are a tool that should be used in aiding with selection decisions. As a graduate student studying Animal breeding and genetics i think it is important for people understand the properties and usefullness of EPDs unfortunately were are beginning to be overrun with numbers and the normal commercial cowman is not able to understand and use them properly. I know that until I explained the differences between "bw" and "calving ease" that my father was putting selection emphasis on both of these traits when in all actuality "bw" is and indicator trait for "calving ease".

the angus111

so it looks like everybobdy wants a piece of me.i will agree that AAA has gone a little overboard in some of its epds and in my previous ramblings i said not all is perfect.but name a breed that has better  system of data collection and get as close on predictability.sure not all data is collected .i would venture to guess if some angus breeder had a 130 calf ,he would ck with his neighbor.your making me think.rusty

ROAD WARRIOR

A111 - don't want a piece of you, but I do enjoy debating issues that I believe in. No blood no foul! Don't let me down now!

Show Heifer

The angus assoc have been collecting data for as long as any breed out there. But what KIND of data? REAL, HONEST data?  All the data in the world is useless unless it is true and accurate. I have used a bull or two that have been "proven" yet not popular (you know, those bulls that 2-5 herds have used for several years and turned in data) and when the general population starts using him, the numbers change DRAMATICLY.
Now, I am not saying people lied to hype the bull.....but......just calling a duck a duck.
That being said....any information is useful if used in a common sense fashion. In my neck of the woods, bull buyers still like low BW bulls, but once explained the difference between BW and calving ease, they would be flexiable. Change never comes overnight.... I think to ignore either eye appeal OR EPD's is a bit short sited.
I have a limi bull that throws big calves. Usually 85-110 pounds. Yet those things slide out like hot jello and on stove! And had to help my neighbor pull a 72 pound calf, and a 80 pounder out of COWS.  Square peg and round hole just doesn't work.
Am I 100% sold on EPD's? No. Am I sold 100% on pretty show cattle? No. I want pretty cattle that do well in my environment, that are born unassisted (don't care about weight), grow like weeds, and make me MONEY!!! But of course, I have been accused of being a bit odd too!!!! (clapping)

ROAD WARRIOR

The old computer saying holds especialy true in this case - Garbage in, Garbage out!

Jill

Ok Rusty, everything is fed and in bed, here are the pictures.  The 1st 2 are of the cow, she had a Radioactive embryo calf this year and we weaned him 2 weeks ago so her udder doesn't look full at this point because she doesn't have a calf on her.  The 3rd picture is of her 2006 calf like I said she is out of Legend, almost too easy doing still trying to get some lard off of her. 
Here is your challenge, I think this cow turned out really nice and would like to breed her for a show calf, calving ease is not an issue her Radioactive calf was 102 pounds and she had him fine.  I thought Stiker would work really nicely on her, she is bred to our Maintainer bull for this year since I couldn't get semen or make up my mind what to do, but I would like to go with a purebred for next year.  Since you don't like unproven bulls, who do you like on her?  Thanks, Jill

Attachments

• 100_11881.jpg
    100_11881.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 327
  • 100_11911.jpg
    100_11911.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 346

Jill

Ok the pictures were too large, here is the calf.

Attachments

• 100_11851.jpg
    100_11851.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 334