Angus bulls to use on Simmy Cows

Help Support Steer Planet:

simtal

Ok, I know that going about this the wrong way (meaning the cross should be Simmental on angus) but, simmy cows I have and angus cows I have very few of.  So what are some good bulls to make halfblood commercial bulls.  Need to have good carcass and low birth.  Do not want any ohlde or duff bred stuff.

TJ

simtal said:
Ok, I know that going about this the wrong way (meaning the cross should be Simmental on angus) but, simmy cows I have and angus cows I have very few of.  So what are some good bulls to make halfblood commercial bulls.  Need to have good carcass and low birth.  Do not want any ohlde or duff bred stuff.

Low birth weight, good carcass, Angus, no Ohlde, no double bred stuff, 1/2 blood commercial bulls... HMMM...

Sounds like you should give Lowline Angus a long look.  If your cows are frame 6 - 7, you will end up with frame 4.5 - 5 bulls, you wont find any Angus bulls with birth weights any lower and the carcasses are excellent (both REA per 100 weight & quality grade).   

The bull in the picture below is 1/2 Lowline X 1/2 Tarentaise.  Birth weight 64 lbs. - 205 adj. 660 lbs. - yearling frame 4.5 - 38 cm scrotal & passed a BSE with excellent sperm @ 11 months.   Keep in mind that he was not halter broke 45 days before that show & he went off feed during the breaking process. So, what you see is what you get, no extra cover on him.  He's around 17 months in the picture.  BTW, all Lowline sired calves can be registered as 1/2 Lowline in the percentage Lowline registry.

Also, the bull in my avitar tested in the top 1% for marbling, out of 19,000 head tested by MMI.  His marbling score was over 5 points higher than the average scores for high choice & prime.  I just don't know how you would get much better than that.  Also, many of these Lowlines have REA of between 1.3 - 1.7 inches per 100 lbs. of body weight.  I've never had Doc Holliday scanned, but he should be in line with those numbers.   Also, Doc Holliday is several inches taller & a few hundred lbs. heavier than the bull who sire the 1/2 Lowline X 1/2 Tarentaise bull in the picture.  Yet, his actual birth weight was only 48 lbs. & he was out of a recip dam. 

Lowline Angus may not be what you are looking for, but I think that they would work extremely well with Simmy's for producing commercial bulls.  Especially the bull in my avitar... he's being used by quite a few commercial producers all over the USA.  Also, a friend of mine in Alabama, who raises club calves & had the Alabama Champion Simmy Steer, is crossing Lowlines & Simmy's with good results.  I'll give you his number if you PM me.  But, of course I would think that Lowlines would work extremely well on Simmy's... I am a bit biased!!   ;)  ;D     

If you have any questions or need more info, let me know. 

TJ

Attachments

• Grand Champion Lowline Bull 2.jpg
    Grand Champion Lowline Bull 2.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 330

TJ

JSchroeder said:
Sounds like you should give Lowline Angus a long look...

How could I tell that was coming as soon as I saw the avatar?

;D  I can't help but speak the truth!  I like Ohlde bulls too, but since that isn't an option & they asked for low birth weight Angus bulls with carcass traits, I presented what I think is the best option...   ;)  

Honestly, I don't know of a better option & commercial producers are buying Lowline semen & 1/2 blood Lowline bulls like crazy right now.   No joke!

TJ

JSchroeder said:
Sounds like you should give Lowline Angus a long look...

How could I tell that was coming as soon as I saw the avatar?

Seriously, if you could offer any better advice, why don't you?  It looks like I am the only one interested in helping this person & no, not all my posts are about Lowlines.  I've recommended OCC bulls, I've recommeded Jakes Proud Jazz and probably a few others in posts that I never said 1 word about Lowlines or Doc Holliday.   

REM

I have our first ET calves on the ground out BC Lookout and our simmy cow. Mid 70's Bw came easy and look good, you will though pick up OCC Legend on the sire side.
The other bull I like is Plainview Lutton. Good luck.

simtal

The reason I didn't want any ohlde bred stuff was because they were too small.  So if ohlde genetics are too small, lowlines are tiny.  IMO the lowlines are a novelty breed and nobody would buy them around here.  I don't think anyone would know what they are.  Same way with tarentaise. Jakes pround Jazz? Isn't he a shorthorn bull? Why would I use that?  I'm not trying to be arrongant but I live in IL, and IL is different world than out west. 

garybob

simtal said:
The reason I didn't want any ohlde bred stuff was because they were too small.  So if ohlde genetics are too small, lowlines are tiny.  IMO the lowlines are a novelty breed and nobody would buy them around here.  I don't think anyone would know what they are.  Same way with tarentaise. Jakes pround Jazz? Isn't he a shorthorn bull? Why would I use that?  I'm not trying to be arrongant but I live in IL, and IL is different world than out west. 
Every place is different than another.

GB

kanshow

If you are looking for  an Angus to produce some good commercial bulls, take a look at some of the Gardiner bulls..   Retail Product is one that comes to mind right away. 

shortyjock89

simtal said:

Hey, just sayin, I have a 1/2 Lowline heifer.  I've seen Lowline's, and while they're not for everyone, they are some good cattle.  I live in IL too...I'm just across town from you right now. 

TJ

simtal said:

Sorry that I misunderstood, but all you said was low birth weight with carcass traits, no Ohlde or double bred stuff, but you never said that you only wanted large frame.  However, you are correct, if Ohlde bulls are too small for you, then Lowline bulls would be to small too.  Please read my post on page 2 for another recommendation, now that I have been enlightened with that new information.   

Now, if you will carefully go back and re-read my post you will see that I was advocating using a fullblood bull on your Simmy's, thus 100% Angus.  The Lowline X Tarentaise cross that was mentioned & pictured, was only supposed to be for the purposes of serving as an example of what a yearling, crossbred Lowline bull would look like.  In other words, something similar to what you could expect your Lowline X Simmy crosses to look like.     

And if you will carefully re-read the other post where I mentioned Jakes Proud Jazz, you will clearly see that not only was I responding to someone elses post, I also "QUOTED" the post that I was replying to for clarification.   And, yes, JPJ is a shorthorn bull.

I am not trying to be arrogant either, but I only live 6 miles from IL!   ;)   And I am not having any problems marketing to commercial buyers in this area at all!  Matter of fact, I need more bulls to sell to several commercial guys in southern Indiana & central ky (not exactly "out west")!     

Within the last year...

A commercial herd in Eldorado, IL, used a 3/4 Lowline X 1/4 Angus bull that they got from me on all of their heifers & younger cows (not sure exactly how many, but over 20). 
A guy who lives near Princeton, IL (north of Peoria) bought 5 Lowline X Tarentaise bulls & a purebred Lowline bull from me. 
I sold three bred 1/2 Lowline X 1/2 Tarentaise heifers to guy in Murphysboro, IL & he wants to buy a bull, heifers & steers in the near future.
A different guy who lives between Carbondale, IL & Murphysboro, IL bought two 3/4 Lowline bulls to breed to his entire herd (cows & heifers).
Olson Family Shorthorns, has a 1/2 Lowline heifer & he lives in Hoopeston, IL.

And that is only counting what business that I've done with people in the state of IL, in the last 365 days!! BTW, none of those people are members of the Lowline Registry, at least not yet!    

So, yes, people in IL will buy them & I bet that you would be suprised at just how many are buying them in IL and all the surrounding states like IN and MI and Iowa and WI and MO and KY!  Also...

There are 6 Lowline breeders in IL & a few Lowline breeders near the IL border who live in Iowa, Missouri & Wisconsin, so no telling how many other IL commercial people are buying/using Lowlines. 

Keith Waterman is the Eastern Lowline Angus Vice President.  He & his partners have a decent sized herd of Lowline crossbreds in Springfield, IL. 
Cindy Jackson lives within 30 miles of IL (between Crawfordsville & Lafayette, IN) & she is completely sold out. 
Also, Dori, who posts on this board & who owns a real nice Lowline bull, lives in Michigan (which isn't exactly out west either & it's not too awful far from IL). 

The "novelty breed" & "nobody around here will buy them", comments just don't hold water.  Why not just say, "Wont fit my program, so I'm not interested." instead of going to the trouble to make derogatory comments?  I can understand your skepticism, but I was trying to sincerely be helpful. 

Also, you are right, IL is a different world than out west, but I don't live out west, nor do I sell the majority of my genetics out west.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
simtal said:

Hey, just sayin, I have a 1/2 Lowline heifer.  I've seen Lowline's, and while they're not for everyone, they are some good cattle.  I live in IL too...I'm just across town from you right now. 

Exactly.  They aren't for everyone & I will continue to say that.  However, they will work well for a lot of people, especially the percentage Lowlines.

afhm

Bush's Flashback, Northern Improvement, or  G13 Structure are some you could use that would be be outcrosses to the OCC/Duff genetics.

KYsteer

I personally love the ohlde cross on Simmi cows, but if you like larger cattle then I understand why you would not want to go that route.  If the cow is stout enough, then the Northern Improvement line, such as Lutton or Juneau would work well.  I personally like the SAV line of 004 sons.  The top bulls from Schaffs are very popular right now.  If that does not interest you then you might want to go back to the older trusty bulls, like 878, Predestined, or 1407.

chambero

There are some very good commercial-oriented Angus genetics out there that just aren't EPDs.  You might look at some of the bulls offerred by Sitz Angus Ranch in Montana and Circle A in Missouri.  I really like the Sitz cattle.  We have a neighbor that has the prettiest set of Angus cows from them plus he buys good bulls from them.  We have a couple of bulls raised by our neighbor from those genetics.  They are real good cattle from what I've seen.

TJ

KYsteer said:
I personally love the ohlde cross on Simmi cows, but if you like larger cattle then I understand why you would not want to go that route.  If the cow is stout enough, then the Northern Improvement line, such as Lutton or Juneau would work well.  I personally like the SAV line of 004 sons.  The top bulls from Schaffs are very popular right now.  If that does not interest you then you might want to go back to the older trusty bulls, like 878, Predestined, or 1407.

I also love Ohlde Angus X Simmy cross females, but I like your recommendation of Bon View New Design 1407 as a bigger framed alternative.