Another Canadian Shorthorn question

Help Support Steer Planet:

stick

I was looking back through some old Shorthorn magazines and catalogs and saw a bull that I really liked around 25 years ago. He's Manitoba Sunrise. Was his semen ever sold in the US? If anyone remembers him, how do you think he would work on some of todays cattle? If I can get the picture thing figured out I'll try to put one up. Here is his pedigree:

Extended Pedigree
Pédigrées Rallongées
MANITOBA SUNRISE X-M453785-

ALICE DOWNS SUPREME 27TH X-[AU]M6701524-
  MANDALONG SUPER FLAG X-M437910-   
    MANDALONG ROANY 20 X-[AU]F6801486-
  CRESTDALE SUPER FLAG 14G X-M445725-   
      BOA KAE ROYAL BANNER X-M423026-
    CRESTDALE MAUD VERA 4B X-F594931-   
    SPARTAN VERA -F574512-
MANITOBA SUNRISE  
    PLEASANT DAWN RIVERHURST 3RD X-M412693-
    KEITH PARK RIVERHURST 15 X-M434444-   
      KEITH PARK BEAUTY -F579762-
  HEWELLEN RIVERHURST LASS 7J X-F626296-   
    T P S CORONET GALAXY 3RD X-M404180-
  HEWELLEN VILLAGE LASS 20Y X-F578875-   
  HEWELLEN VILLAGE MAID 17W -F567692-

sjcattleco

My best advice is to contact Scot Muri up in Canada...Muridale Shorthorns.... He or Saskvalley might be able to help.. infact they might have a bull avalable today that resembles what you are looking for.

stick

Thanks Scott,
I guess I got the cart in front of the horse. I just did a search on the ASA site and found out that Fair Acres in Minnesota is listed as an owner.

justintime

Manitoba Sunrise was a very big thick made bull. Personally, I thought his offspring had a little too much waste in their lower third  ( ie: brisket, sheath, flank). He still appears in the background of some very good cattle today, so I think he definitely had an impact. Lynn Ewald in Minnesota ( Fair Acres Stock Farm) used him extensively and I believe he may have had the US rights in Sunrise. He may work extremely well on some of today's bloodlines, especially cattle that need some more thickness and depth. Some of the Man. Sunrise daughters I remember, had some issues with their udders once they got older. Just my thoughts. Personally, I would consider him a worthy bull to be tried, if you found semen on him, but I would be a little selective on what he was used on.

aj

I noticed Mandalong Superflag in the pedigree. I wonder if there is any semen floating around of him?

justintime

I should have added that Man Sunrise was sired by Super Flag 14G who set a Canadian record when he sold for $41,500 at the Regina Bull Sale in the very early 70s. 14G was so much better than any other bull of any breed at the time, that several of the bidders were noted herds of other breeds. This was back in the days when the Regina Bull Sale was the worlds biggest bull sale with about 1400 - 1500 bulls. The sale was held for a week and there were 1000 Polled Hereford bulls alone. 14G sold to 3 Saskatchewan Shorthorn breeders. The runner up bidder was Beartooth Ranch, in Montana who was a leading Polled hereford herd at the time. Several other leading herds who raised other breeds were  still in the running at $25,000.

Man Sunrise'd mother was a very good female. She was a big framed cow but she was good with her size. She was long bodied , with thcikness and was as smooth as an apple. She was a very attractive cow and she would be a very popular cow today despite her size.

justintime

I have probably got about 50 vials of Super Flag semen here yet. Unfortunately, it is not exportable as it is only exportable if it remains in an AI stud. There seems to be a lot of interest in using older genetics again as I have sold quite a bit of semen from the 70s. I sold 30 vials of Super Flag to one breeder( I have sold 60 vials in total this spring) and another took 50 vials of Four Point Major - another great bull from the past. My dad says I have enough semen around to breed about 1000 cows for 3 lifetimes.... he is probably right!! .
In regards to finding Mandalong Super Flag semen in the US, check with Wally Klose, Twin Bridges, Montana as I know he has used him quite a bit in recent years. He has worked well for him as well.

j3cattleco

Hey Justintime,

What other shorthorn semen do you have lying around that you might be interested in parting with.  We are flushing a cow to deerpark leader 13th next week and are looking for some other old school stuff.  Our semen was froze in '76.

stick

Here the picture, I think (hope)

Attachments

• msun (2).jpg
    msun (2).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 799