Any one heard of some "calming shots" for steers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

renegade said:
Hmmm, ok :-\ seems like that would stress them out more than anything. Id be afraid of drowning it  :D

Yep...gotta listen for rumen sounds like like when you tube em to get a bloat down.  I do NOT condone pumping though. If you don't do it just right, it can cause them to look bloated and mess them up.

renegade

Ugh sounds like a ridiculous waste of time - like i said I was just curios, I would seriously be afraid of hurting them/ messing them up and theres no need for me to use it anyway - I assume its so they don't look sunken in?

shortyjock89

Yeah, good call.  Pumping isn't allowed at most shows around here anyhow.  If you have a calf that is THAT sunken in to start with, I really doubt that you have a shot at winning the show anyway...

renegade

Thats what I was thinking. I never saw anything in our rule books about it but I guess it wouldnt be a problem at our fair since you cant go anywhere secretive with your steer to do it.

simtal

really it's more common than you think.  I think there's nothing wrong with it when used properly.  Sometimes calves refuse to drink and look just awful. About 10 years ago many people did it.

reno1014

I would like to thank all whom contributed to my question, either down the road or in the bar-ditch.  Geez I would have never thought it would have gotten
so out there.  First of all I am the mother of a 15 year old whom shows calves and we try to do everything WE  can to help each other out, he does the dishes I
fix hair on his steers.  When I used the term "calm him up" we used calf calm bought at the show from a vendor.  I was told about these shots and since this is
only our second season showing calves and I am new I asked here because I know I can get reliable advice from yall whom have "been there and done that."
I agree that "stuff" goes on and it shouldnt.  I had no Idea that it was illegal if you get it from your vet.  I am well aware of withdrawl time ect...and have always
tried to follow all FDA guidlines, when I get meds from my Vet.  Around here Ace is commonly used on hogs during clipping, and Thorzine on Cattle for the same
reason.  No we do not spend even the average amount on show steers...if that is 3-5 thousand.  We generally get them for 1 thousand or under.
We break our own, and do all our own work.  I want all our animals to be so tame that a child running through the barn that trips and falls at our calves feet
will not spook him in the least.  I want this because people let there little kids run all over the place at these shows and it is really no place for unsupervised
children to be running wild.  Since this calf is a ways from slaughter or any real shows I will keep doing what I am doing until either he breaks or I just
plain give up.  Thanks again...and yes I am from Texas also!   

Jill

"I want all our animals to be so tame that a child running through the barn that trips and falls at our calves feet
will not spook him in the least.  I want this because people let there little kids run all over the place at these shows and it is really no place for unsupervised
children to be running wild." 

While this may sound great in theory, these are still animals and there is no guarantee how an animal will react to any given situation.

Some of you don't think you have 3-4 thousand in a steer by the time it is finished, you need to start putting some figures down on paper.  If you spend a thousand on the calf, our feed is 390 per ton, you then have entry fees, supplies, water, electricity and maybe you don't think your time is valuable, but mine is worth something.  I would say there aren't very many projects that are worth less than that.
Try a nose ring and continue to work with him, I don't know very many folks that just give up and send them packing, we have not ever had one that you couldn't get broke down with enough time and work.  Good luck and let us know how it turns out.