Any Sneed sale results

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

sjcattleco said:
Thats what they sell for when you run an honest sale and don't pull a bunch of FRAUD!!! notice there were no $98000 sales!!! THAT is the kind of sale we should all strive to have!!! Looks like a total success to me alot better than ours turned out last fall!!!! it won't be long till the avearage will move up $500 a head pretty easy!!!  Plus folks there are fewer people out there interested in buying cattle! so they are not easy to sell.

What I don't understand is if this is such a big case of fraud then why did Sneed & Sue buy  a share in him? Also you have different groups of buyers that are attracted by different marketing. I would think that Sneed is happy that his cattle has done such a good job for a different farm & going to get tried in other places that he may not have been able to get them into. I'm really pleased when I sale something & that animal goes & makes them money. Wether they resell it right away or thru it's progeny.
I also don't understand why you would try to have a lower avging sale?
Once again it comes down to producing what people want. You can produce what you think may be the greatest animal in the world , but in the end the buying public will tell you if you are headed down the right path. The thing to remember is that there is more than 1 path & some people are willing to pay more to go down 1 path than the other. We have a guy here in Tn that thinks he has some great cattle. They're nice but not near as good as he thinks they are & for the way he pricess them( barn blind) & in the end instead of selling them to someone to carry on those genetics , he ends up taking them to the yards.

yuppiecowboy

I have been sitting back, but I feel compelled to throw my two cents in. First of all just from reading the prices on individual lots, I am beyond positive there was money to be made buying cattle and shipping them to a salebarn in iowa. That is a shame. After you factor in all the time and expense and hassle, I know I would not be very enthused about having another production sale if I were in their shoes.

Right now, at least where I am, all classes of cattle are through the roof with insatiable demand. Non descript 8-9 year old third trimester breds are $1400 all day long. Big fleshy heavy breds are getting their heads cut off at that price too.

There seems to be a couple personalities in this thread that dont even bother to read and comprehend what others posted and start in on some cyber middle school slap fight. Its ridiculous and it drives away people that actually do have pithy commentary.

While I understand the point of no hokey bidding and fake money is a good thing, but if you want to strive for selling your production from your breeding program at or under market price and throw in the extra hassle and expense of putting a sale together, go ahead. Not me.

sue

I once again speed read.  JIT you crack me up, record post again.  But if i read correctly we would agree that commerical interest in SH has boomed.  For RS it was there all along....... ask his commerical bull buyers . Fire and ice matings do not attract commerical bull guys... Irish Mist was the best bull at Horseshoe and the best bull for commerical acceptance even today.

Sull's bull RED SAvior did not sell for 98,000 it was  11,250.  John dropped a pile at RS last spring and used CO heavy . Say what you want but SULL has a  outcross group that will shake the rest of main stream SH breeders into the next decade. Yep we support bulls like RED SAVIOR. doc you might remember I warned you and the rest ... what R Ediger offered 2  falls ago ....who would show  up??

Honestly look at lot 80 video. I saw him in person 5 wks ago. Yes I encouraged the sale of this shorthorn bull and bulls like him. SULL red SAvior, lot 80.

NPS prefix for years has made cash cows for main stream sh .... any takers on this topic. NPS sales happen every fall and million dollar producers come out there.  Not sure Nick takes it to the bank but his reputation and breeding cannot be touched.  Who wants to give nick  a piece back to them??  I can toot my own horn and say we sold 2 breds that produced 5K bulls this spring. ... and another  open that made 35oo bull.

It's about breeding good cattle. Some do it for decades and get recognized and others just follow and pretend.  Pull up your pants and start breeding good cattle - you'll get recognized.

Doc

Sue , I agree with you on Nicks' deal. That is what I was saying that you have to produce something that somebody else wants. Nicks' cattle have made money for him & the people that have bought them.  He has done a good job of marketing his cattle & getting them out there. There are other operations out there with the same type scenarios. But it still amazes that some people think that the cattle they are producing are the best & or the only type to have & when people don't come buy them  , then those people are idiots. Lots of times those people are the same ones that think if an animal sells for more money than they've sold one or THEY think the animal is worth , then it's a put up deal.

justintime

Sue, please re read my last post. I was only commenting on what sjcattleco posted, in regards to sales that have some high prices are committing fraud. He then says sales like the Sneed sale is what we all should be striving for. I watched most of Robs sale, and I thought that some of the cattle sold for decent prices, but quite honestly, I felt that even the best prices were bargains for the quality being offered. I applaud Rob Sneed for his program and what he is trying to do. I don't think he was rewarded very much for all his efforts but it certainly is something to build from. I would urge him to charge on, as acceptance does not happen overnight in many cases. I always remember Arthur Huber, founder of Huberdale, saying that if he had stopped taking bulls to the Regina Bull Sale the first time he had a poor sale, he would never have gone back after his first consignment. At one time, Hubers held the record for the most years of never missing the Regina Bull Sale I( I think it was 46 years) and over that time there were many highs and many lows, and they sold over 250 bulls through that sale. I thought many of the cattle ( especially the bulls) in Rob's sale were sold too low and I suspect that many of them ended up going to commerical producers. I don't think that selling bulls for low prices is the way to access the commercial sector, but I expect some will try to " rip me a new one" for that comment as well. I also applaud Rob for designing his own program and sticking to it. He definitely is unlike most people in this breed especially when he has not just followed the bandwagon.
sjcc then says that there are fewer folks buying cattle. I was just pointing out that this may be what is happening in your locale, but there certainly appears to be more people looking for commercial cows right now than i can remember in quite awhile. It was actually a person who works for the Canadian Angus Association who contacted me with the information about the family wanting the Shorthorn X Angus ( or Angus X Shorthorn ) females. I have had several people ask me where they can locate some cows. I honestly don't know where to find cows other than small groups of 10 or less head.  I am not sure if I totally believe this, but it could be possible, but I was told that a set of unregistered Shorthorn bred cows sold for $1700 average in central Alberta a few weeks ago at an auction mart sale.

I was also trying to point out that there are people out there who have huge amounts of disposible income. I was just saying that I'm glad they are around even though I don't expect to ever sell anything to any of them. What should we do....ask these people to go to another breed where they will be appreciated? If you don't think there are high dollar cattle selling in other breeds and that it is REAL quite often, then you really must have your head in the sand. I suppose the Schaff Angus Valley sale must have been " fixed" if lots and lots of bulls sold for $40,000 or more, and a few over $200000 ( and NO I am not comparing this sale to anything that has ever happened in the Shorthorn breed)  I know a lot of breeders in most every breed out there, and I hardly ever hear these breeders in other breeds of cattle complaining about prices being too high in some of their sales. This obviously must just be a Shorthorn thing and I really can't figure it out. There are quite a few bull sales that are grossing $400,000-$500,000 ON 100 + bulls this year. So can I ask what should one of these breeders( who have these sales ) be willing to pay for a herd bull?
I never referred to anything that happened in Rob's sale or in the SULL sale. My comments were general in nature regarding any sales that sell high dollar cattle. I really don't know what you read into my comments that made you think I was referring to anything in these sales,. Finally, Highfield Irish Mist did a very good job here, but it is over 35 years since we brought him from Ireland. He is one of my all time favorite bulls but he didn't hold a candle to some of our more recent herd bulls in generating commercial interest. It has been bulls like Major Leroy, Saskvalley Pioneer, GR Rodeo 4000, HC Merger and WF Player that  have got the commercial producers to look at our bulls. I don't know if we will get all our bulls sold this year or not as we have 63 selling in our bull sale( between the contributors, we have 30), but we are certainly going to try. Last year our sale passed some bulls but we were completely sold out by mid June. Last night a commercial man phoned that lives 35 miles from here. He said that he was running  190 Angus cows and he was not buying any Angus bulls this year.( I asked him why, and he said he was starting to have too many calving problems and far too many temperament problems) He  said he saw one of our bull sale posters and decided to check out our sale catalog on our websites. He said he knew nothing about Shorthorns, but he had already picked out several of the best bulls in the sale. We are going to go down this week and go through the bulls ... and he asked if it would be OK if he brought 2 or 3 of his neighbors . I told him to bring as many as many others as he wanted, if need be, I would rent a 16 passenger van. Maybe I am wrong on this as well, but to me, this is one of the ways you start gaining commercial acceptance. It happens 1 producer at a time. I have two bull buyers who have each purchased 16 bulls from us since 2001. Both started considering Shorthorns after I invited them to stop in and look at the bull pen.Neither of them has ever paid less than $2000 for a bull, and quite often they have paid over $3000. To me, that is the best promotion, and some of these guys neighbors are also customers now as well.

aj

Seriously though. JIT sold the timeline bull. He was a 10,000 or 20,000$ bull.Something like that.

justintime

aj said:
Are JIT's comments available in audio book form.....or paperback........? ;D

aj... phone me anytime and I will give you the audio version. Subscribe to the Canadian Shorthorn Report and you can receive the paperback version.

justintime

aj said:
Seriously though. JIT sold the timeline bull. He was a 10,000 or 20,000$ bull.Something like that.

aj...I knew it was only a matter of time and you would bring up Timeline, but seeing that you did I will say that if the weather ever smartens up I will post some pics of some Timeline calves for your personal enjoyment. Two of the best bull calves I have ever raised were born this year here and they are ET full brothers by Timeline. They are from our Elsie's Jade donor and they are IMHO quite amazing calves. The first born was 98 lbs at birth and is white. The second was born 6 days later and weighed 90 lbs at birth.He is a red neck roan and both have as much natural thickness as  I have ever seen. Both were unassisted at birth. One of the partners in Timeline has about 40 calves from him and he says they are some of the best he has ever raised and they had very moderate BWs. I haven't seen them but he is pretty excited. Shady Lane of SP has a Timeline bull that I am trying to talk him into getting him to Louisville next fall. Several people have referred to him as the best bull calf they have seen in Canada last fall, and I tend to agree.

I have not had a chance to use Timeline naturally since he sold, but I did keep an interest in him, and he will see service here this spring. I know you will think I am completely crazy, but I am excited to turn him out. Somewhat like Rob Sneed is doing, I don't put a lot of faith in what other breeders say about my breeding program, but try to listen very carefully to the people who count, that being my customers. When one of my bull buyers who purchased a Timeline son,leaves an open order for Timeline sons, I tend to listen.( BTW he paid $4850 for him and he is a commercial producer)

jaimiediamond

I honestly believe as I stated before that the quality of the cattle was not reflected in the price.  Rob Sneed has done a very good job creating a uniform set of cattle that have worked for him and his customers.  When we sold fat cows for 83 cents a pound  2 weeks ago you would expect a bred cow with a healthy calf at foot to bring more. As I stated before there were a lot of great buys and happy customers.  I hope that Sneed's are as happy as some of you guys are with the prices but I honestly doubt they would be with all of the time and data collection that they consistently do.  Their cattle are worth more than the sale prices reflected

knabe

aj said:
I wondered how the ole bugger was doing. I think he was a 20,000 $ bull. I tried to google the Canadian site and unless I did it wrong he has 15 progency registered in 3 years? I'm not sure I searched it right. I'm glad he's working out alright. I wondered what his birth weights would be?

how about that bull of yours that had one or two registered?  what's his tally now?  just for comparison.

if jit's bull was used in a commercial herd, what's the point of registration?

showing reserve champion in a class of two or three ain't nothing to brag about either.

so  what's your goal?  to drive jit out of business so you can get his customers?

justintime

aj... when you have 8 people own a bull, there is oftentimes some things that are not agreed on. In Timeline's case, the group was divided as to whether semen should be marketed. I can see both sides of this, and I am letting them decide this. Some of the owners feel that semen should be marketed. Some others feel that, while they are not opposed to selling semen, it really would not be worth the cost and bother by the time the net semen sales are divided by 8 owners. We have collected a fair bit of semen for the owners use only, so we do not have any that is for public sale. I am using Timeline in a number of flushes, simply because the calves are good, and there has been no calving issues. So aj... until the owners change their minds, you are going to have to buy a son of Timeline if you want to use his genetics in your herd. Right now, the bulls I have from him are all spoken for, but one of the owners will probably have some this fall.

As per usual aj, you have hijacked this thread into a personal attack and I am guilty of responding to your pokes, but I will not say another word on the subject of a bull I sold and am using in my herd. This thread started out about the Sneed sale and accessing more commercial acceptance of the Shorthorn breed. If you want to talk more about that, I will gladly give you my opinion.

aj

No. Jit you were the one talking about 20,000$, 40,000$, and 89,000$ bulls. Thats why I brought up the Timeline bull cause he was supposed to be a 20,000$ if memory serves. If anything YOU are the one that made this thread about you. Then knabe jumps in and I have a hell of a time following him sometimes.

vc

I do not know, but after reading through this post it is no wonder the Shorthorn Breed is having such a hard time finding it way into the commercial arena. You people that breed Shorthorns do enough fighting and bashing of the breed, outsiders need not apply.

I visit the Cattle Today Forum and they bash each others breeds, but the breeders of like breeds seem to stick together.

As far as commercial guys paying high dollars for cattle most I know will not pay for something that doesn’t pencil out, if they pay higher for a bull they are usually planning on selling or retaining bulls or cows from that bull.

I remember the ranch we got our first couple sets of calves from for the boys, it was a commercial operation and he had bought this high dollar bull that he had planned on selling some of the betters calves as bulls. He had paid 5000 for the bull, the most they had ever paid for a bull. The next year we where out there to sort through the calves, all the bull calves he had kept where in a separate pen, we told him they looked real good, he said “Yes they do, to bad their all getting castrated next week”. Seems the bull he had bought had developed bad feet so all the heifers and bulls from him where now headed to the feeders. He did get a credit from the breeder of the bull, he was told to just send the bull to the killers and the breeder would credit the rest of the money towards a new bull. (There is a breeder who stands behind his animals)

red roan

vc said:
I do not know, but after reading through this post it is no wonder the Shorthorn Breed is having such a hard time finding it way into the commercial arena. You people that breed Shorthorns do enough fighting and bashing of the breed, outsiders need not apply.

I visit the Cattle Today Forum and they bash each others breeds, but the breeders of like breeds seem to stick together.

As far as commercial guys paying high dollars for cattle most I know will not pay for something that doesn’t pencil out, if they pay higher for a bull they are usually planning on selling or retaining bulls or cows from that bull.

I remember the ranch we got our first couple sets of calves from for the boys, it was a commercial operation and he had bought this high dollar bull that he had planned on selling some of the betters calves as bulls. He had paid 5000 for the bull, the most they had ever paid for a bull. The next year we where out there to sort through the calves, all the bull calves he had kept where in a separate pen, we told him they looked real good, he said “Yes they do, to bad their all getting castrated next week”. Seems the bull he had bought had developed bad feet so all the heifers and bulls from him where now headed to the feeders. He did get a credit from the breeder of the bull, he was told to just send the bull to the killers and the breeder would credit the rest of the money towards a new bull. (There is a breeder who stands behind his animals)
some of you guys are your own worst enemy. Makes me sick to think  your involved with the breed. Vic you hit the nail on the head