Anybody seen any of the bulls going to Denver?

Help Support Steer Planet:

MOShowGuy

One of the bulls that I was impressed with was the master of puppets bull. I had talked to one of the share holders about him and was floored when I got a chance to see him in person. He was in my opinion better than how he explained. He was probably one of the most complete bulls there from stoutness, look, and soundness.

SteerQueen27

DaHerd said:
To bad Power N Balance couldnt make it to to the yards, he looks really good.  I'll agree with the base width comment on most of these bulls.  Fat Freddie looks good but has way to much shoulder.  I can't say Smokin Hottie's pictures as a calf impress me but he turned out pretty good. Can't wait to see more of the bulls!

Well the picture didnt do him justice alot but as a baby he was awesome.. alot better then the pictures. hes one of my favorite '11 bulls

shortyisqueen

jbh said:
What are you using to take these pics with.......they are REALLY CRISP.  Nice work.

I splurged last summer and bought a Canon 5D Mark II with a 24 - 105 mm lens. I love it! Plus, with that short of lens, I could be standing nearly on top of the bulls and still get a picture without getting in anyone's way. Feel free to borrow away! I have more I could post, but I haven't been spending that much time on the internet here!!!

GoWyo said:
Is it just the photos or are a lot of these bulls (except Fat Freddie) lacking natural base width on the back wheels?

I think there were some bulls that would have enough base to power up a cow. That being said, I think we are becoming accustomed to being duped by photography. The last few years, the quality of the bulls in their promo photos has increased exponentially (thanks photoshop) while the bulls themselves have only improved somewhat (due to being brothers/half brothers of bulls on display other years?? After all, we are displaying the same genetics). The real thing sometimes now leaves us in shock, when in reality, the bulls are AT LEAST as wide as the bulls that came before them, if not wider. There's also a point at which I wonder - how much wider do we need to get them? Is there a point where they are wide enough? There were some bulls that simply didn't have enough to them, but that's pretty normal as well.

I am thankful I went, as things sure do look different in person. I think I'll leave trying the new bulls that weren't able to make it up to someone else for this year....

farwest

Believe in me was a clear cut favorite I thought.  Monopoly money from lautners great bull too.  Why use master of puppets when u have the monopoly clones

cowman

farwest said:
Genetics 101.  Lol.

OK, genetics 101 is a little presumptuous. Monopoly is proven, clones are just a little different. To call it Genetics 101 is like calling a 4-H bottle rocket project "Rocket Science".

The interaction of mitochondrial DNA transferred from the recip dam has not been entirely understood to this point. Neither has the survivability and/or fickle nature of the cloned animals. They are not identical to the DNA donor.

Just keeping perspective. Genetics 101 it isn't.

Telos

Nice job on the photos, Shortyisqueen. Good camera and lens is important but you got the angles and lighting just right.

I did like Master of Puppet's deep, soft middle.

It seems like many of the bulls have enough width on top but want to taper down to the ground. Like to see more correctly proportioned with more heel and foot to carry the weight.

SEA

cowman said:
farwest said:
Genetics 101.  Lol.

OK, genetics 101 is a little presumptuous. Monopoly is proven, clones are just a little different. To call it Genetics 101 is like calling a 4-H bottle rocket project "Rocket Science".

The interaction of mitochondrial DNA transferred from the recip dam has not been entirely understood to this point. Neither has the survivability and/or fickle nature of the cloned animals. They are not identical to the DNA donor.

Just keeping perspective. Genetics 101 it isn't.

Cowman, Steerjockey & Everyone,

Let me please first say, that I do not have a "dog in the fight", and I am not promoting any bull by my following statements.

With respect and regards to your remark about genetics and mitochondrial DNA, I believe Farwest was only trying to make a point about which bull to use.

I ask everyone?  How has himself Monopoly worked for you?  Which bull is more proven, Monopoly or a new yearling son of Monopoly?  If you look at the clones of other bulls, they have seemed to reproduce the calves, that replicate the offspring of their bull they were cloned from,very similarly. 

I do believe agree with Farwest's statement, that you would have a much greater "idea", not proof, of how the Monopoly clones would work on your cows, than a yearling Monoply son that has no progeny.

That being said, I think you need to look at your breeding goals when selecting your A.I. sires.  So, do you like Monopoly and want to use more of him but perhaps a more reasonable price per unit of semen?  Or do you want to try something a little different, but still have some Monopoly influence?  IMHO  <cowboy>

thebulllady

Shorty.. great perspective!  I can't agree more with your comments about "when is more too much"?  At some point it gets to be too extreme, and the animal isn't sound.  I think as breeders we have to really be careful of this.  We're all trying to get the "next best thing", but we have to be breeding sound, performance oriented cattle as well.

I'm been looking for a replacement bull for months now.. and I have to keep reminding myself of what my cow herd needs for improvement, so I can produce the best calves possible.

BTW.. wasn't there supposed to be a full sib bull to Manchild in Denver? 

farwest

Several nice bulls.  My daughter was in the catch a calf so needed to head up to the hill about 215. At one not half the bulls were out yet. Kind of dissapointing.  But then its not me payin the bills.  Several were probably getting pictured.  Lautners had a nice solid group.  It'll be a waiting game which one will surface.  Did walks alone stand in denver and look similar to believe in me?

TMBCATTLE

HAS ANYBODY SEEN HUSTON CATTLE COMPANYS BULL ON DISPLAY? I DONT KNOW WHAT THEY NAMED HIM.  HE WAS A MEYER / FRICTION  JUST WONDERING WHAT EVERYBODY THOUGHT OF HIM?

oakie

I really liked the fast freddy bull, from the photos, any idea of his pedigree, structural soundness? How do you order seman from these bulls for this breeding season?