Anyone else?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Kailee TheKool

So every year, our steers (and heifers when we have them) get out at least once. Sometimes it's an uneventful 'lead them back in' and other times, like today, it's a literal chase through the city involving police, local cowboys, and many other member of the community. Does anyone else's projects (or even just livestock in general) escape this much or are we just terrible animal owners?
[I'm trying to make myself feel better about what happened today because it was a mess to say the least]

vc

Had a steer jump the fence as we unloaded him, he was missing in the creek bed for about a week before he got lonely and ended up in with some horses, cowboy ran him back into the trailer, he spent 5 days in the trailer before he was settled enough to try again.
Every other time if cows got out it was human error and we have perimeter fencing so they are just messing up my stuff.

Kailee TheKool

Had a steer jump the fence as we unloaded him, he was missing in the creek bed for about a week before he got lonely and ended up in with some horses, cowboy ran him back into the trailer, he spent 5 days in the trailer before he was settled enough to try again.
Every other time if cows got out it was human error and we have perimeter fencing so they are just messing up my stuff.
Oof that sounds a little scary! Glad he came back on his own haha

ISquaredCattle

It is not just you!! We've had cows in the neighbors yard before. :p
The worst time is when we were almost to a horse show and we had to scratch and go home to put cows in. THAT was disappointing.

So we had this one blind heifer who was a feeding buddy to a really good steer and she found any way she could to get out so once after the night feeding she used her nose to lift open a latch and got into the river they live by so the next morning we found them a mile down river

Kailee TheKool

So we had this one blind heifer who was a feeding buddy to a really good steer and she found any way she could to get out so once after the night feeding she used her nose to lift open a latch and got into the river they live by so the next morning we found them a mile down river
Goodness! Smart little heifer, I guess?